GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer Scratched My Nuluxe Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 10:21 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYX
I got a reply back from the Sales Lane Manager at the dealership, and I have an appointment today at 3, so I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well.
I think I might have made a slight mistake of sending the pictures to the salesman that helped me with my car. I forgot that I had the Service Lane Manager's phone number on my phone number, so I didn't go to him at first. The Service Lane Manager agreed to help me out, and he set up the appointment with me. The salesman texted me back just now and told me there was nothing they could do because leather is leather and there's no telling when or who caused the damage. I'm hoping the salesman doesn't find out about my appointment and try to interfere by telling the Service Lane Manager to cancel my appointment.
I found it's easier to ask the manager than the sales person on anything nowadays.
Old 09-30-20, 10:32 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
The perforated areas are 100% leather but in classic Lexus fashion a bit misleading too. The main sitting area sides, back seat surrounding areas, side bolsters, armrest, headrests, center console top, dash elements, door trims are all NuLuxe material and not real genuine Leather. Like many leather sofas nowadays they cheap out and only provide leather in the main touching points you sit in but the rest like sides, back etc...are all NuLuxe material in this case. This applies to all F-Sports models with the exception of the Luxury GS models with the optional Soft Semi-Analine Leather which is full 100% genuine leather coverage.

I have no problem with not 100%. Probably cost reasons and environmental issue behind those decisions.
Old 09-30-20, 02:07 PM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's an update: When I got there, I showed them some of the other scratches that were on my seat when I purchased the car (I documented the scratches with pictures and text messages). The other scratches look like the leather was snagged by a zipper; it has the same pattern as one would expect when a zipper is dragged hard across leather. Since one of the scratches is actually a 2" tear from perforated hole to perforated hole (it looks like someone played connect the dots with an X-Acto knife), they said it would take more than a couple of hours (something about having to remove something and repairing the seats). I have an appointment for early next week to leave my car and get a loaner.

On a side note, the Naguri Aluminum panel on my driver's door had a scratch when I purchased the car. They were kind enough to take care of it (I honestly don't know what they did). Although the scratch is now gone, some of the corners of the diamond pattern look like they're fraying. Should I press my luck and be greedy by asking them to repair/replace it again?
Old 09-30-20, 03:04 PM
websurfer
Racer

Here's an update: When I got there, I showed them some of the other scratches that were on my seat when I purchased the car (I documented the scratches with pictures and text messages). The other scratches look like the leather was snagged by a zipper; it has the same pattern as one would expect when a zipper is dragged hard across leather. Since one of the scratches is actually a 2" tear from perforated hole to perforated hole (it looks like someone played connect the dots with an X-Acto knife), they said it would take more than a couple of hours (something about having to remove something and repairing the seats). I have an appointment for early next week to leave my car and get a loaner.

On a side note, the Naguri Aluminum panel on my driver's door had a scratch when I purchased the car. They were kind enough to take care of it (I honestly don't know what they did). Although the scratch is now gone, some of the corners of the diamond pattern look like they're fraying. Should I press my luck and be greedy by asking them to repair/replace it again?
Does that bother you a lot?
Old 09-30-20, 08:53 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Had my seats repaired by my dealership after I took delivery. Flaxen leather was cracking in certain spots on driver's seat which was discussed as a fix during negotiating. It came out looking brand new and was one of the best dealership repairs i've experienced.
The following users liked this post:
WNYX (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 08:18 AM
WNYX
Driver

Thanks, everyone, for sharing their experience. My anxiety is lessened after reading these replies. Like I mentioned, I've never had a leather seat repaired, so I guess I was worried about it sticking out like a sore thumb or the airbrush they use clogging up the perforated holes or dyeing the material underneath the holes, making that area noticeable.

Originally Posted by websurfer
Does that bother you a lot?
Yes, I'm afraid it bothers me a lot. I'm pretty sure it's an illness, but I'm the guy that has to take every copy of the Blu-ray or book I want to buy off the shelf to find the one that has the perfect corners. Plus, as I'm driving, the fraying catches the corner of my eye constantly.

Old 10-01-20, 11:55 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for sharing their experience. My anxiety is lessened after reading these replies. Like I mentioned, I've never had a leather seat repaired, so I guess I was worried about it sticking out like a sore thumb or the airbrush they use clogging up the perforated holes or dyeing the material underneath the holes, making that area noticeable.

Yes, I'm afraid it bothers me a lot. I'm pretty sure it's an illness, but I'm the guy that has to take every copy of the Blu-ray or book I want to buy off the shelf to find the one that has the perfect corners. Plus, as I'm driving, the fraying catches the corner of my eye constantly.

That's front the seat belt hitting it when it retracts. The aluminum trim is the most prone to scratches/damage, the older aluminum trim was much worse and dented easily.. My bamboo trim on the door on the other hands is in perfect condition with 106k+ miles.
Old 10-01-20, 01:17 PM
websurfer
Racer

Doesn't hurt to ask the dealer, don't expect a lot or a yes answer though. When I asked on my 2016 CPO vehicle on an little damage on the door, their answer was that it's used what do you expect even a Lexus. So I just dealt and accepted the fact. Now on my 2020 GS, It has to be perfect. It's new.

Last edited by websurfer; 10-01-20 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 09:31 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

You need help dude and I advice a good psychotherapist. Car is used and what did you expect a new vehicle in mint condition? Maybe should have done a fine comb tooth inspection and let them know prior to purchasing the vehicle and check if they would cover or do something about it. You can't expect Lexus to cover every little scratch because its used.
The following users liked this post:
jtrue28 (10-04-20)
Old 10-02-20, 06:44 AM
WNYX
Driver

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
You need help dude and I advice a good psychotherapist. Car is used and what did you expect a new vehicle in mint condition? Maybe should have done a fine comb tooth inspection and let them know prior to purchasing the vehicle and check if they would cover or do something about it. You can't expect Lexus to cover every little scratch because its used.
I was afraid I was going to get a reply like this eventually. I already know I need help.
Old 10-02-20, 07:34 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the comments. To each their own. Sounds like you should ask them to repair it. Worst they can say is no. It will likely get roughed up again unless you baby it when you take off the seat belt.
Old 10-02-20, 09:51 AM
websurfer
Racer

Yeah, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they said it's not covered, ask them the price for that piece. If it's the whole door panel, it will be expensive for sure.
Old 10-02-20, 10:01 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Its not a hard job, but that aluminum trim piece is held in by a bunch of screws. See this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8698768

Since you mentioned they already replaced it, i doubt they'll replace it again for minor scratches but you could press your luck and see what they say.
Old 10-02-20, 12:47 PM
WNYX
Driver

Thanks for the advice, all. I'm expecting them to say no, so I won't be disappointed. I've already asked for more than I should at this point. Maybe this could be my first DIY project.
Old 10-02-20, 12:59 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah dude I think you should buy new next time. I know that’s not an option for everyone with a car of this price, it’s certainly not an option for me. But you sound even more OCD than me hahaha. Not trying to be rude, just making an observation.

I wish you luck with the dealer on the trim piece, though, worst they can do is say no.

Quick Reply: Dealer Scratched My Nuluxe Seats