GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer Scratched My Nuluxe Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-20, 07:39 AM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
We all have our little idiosyncrasies. I can be the same way with books and blu-rays and a few other things. As a kid I was always taught to take of my things and keep things looking nice. While I would love to keep the car in perfect pristine condition the reality is that if I want it to be perfect I have to buy it new and never drive it. Other folks have talked about replacing/fixing things that seem a bit much for what I would do but to some extent I get it. For me it comes down to not wanting to get bummed or upset when the car gets its first ding - especially by something I did.

I do think that often when we test drive and look at used cars there may be imperfections we don't see and over time they start to come out. Some of that may be things the dealer does in "detailing" to make them less noticeable right at that moment, others may just be our brain letting us see/not see things because of how we feel that day.

My guess is that technically that can't be fixed - it needs to be replaced. If it bothers you that much buy a new trim piece (or find a good used one) and put it on. I know there's at least one person on here who can tell us how that piece comes off and goes back on....and there are probably a few.
Making sure the Blu-rays I purchase (and DVDs before that) have sharp corners was stressful for me when they started including a cardboard slipcase. Those corners were usually always worn in.

I'm starting to think that I might just leave the Naguri Aluminum trim alone. I read a comment elsewhere on this forum about how another dealership left pry marks in their interior or how once something is taken apart and put back together, there's always a chance of squeaks and creaks happening once the work is done. I think it's best to leave things alone for now, especially my door.

My car buying experience with the GS was an odd one. I got to the dealership at 9 am, and I literally didn't leave until 4 pm, so there are stuff here and there I missed during my inspection (also, the vehicle was new to the lot and hadn't been detailed yet, so there was debris, dead leaves, dust, brown caramel-like residue, etc. all over the interior and exterior), but I'm not complaining about that stuff; my main issue is the scratch that the dealership made while my car was in service.
Old 10-05-20, 09:15 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
As a general observation it’s interesting how people take more car of their cars than their health.

I detailed my car more frequently than going to the dental hygienist for a clean. And that’s not right!
But one would hope you brush at least twice a day so if you add up that time...... Plus right now I think you can count your time on CL as taking care of your mental health since it lets you ignore the chaos in the world for a short bit of time
Old 10-05-20, 09:28 AM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
As a general observation it’s interesting how people take more car of their cars than their health.

I detailed my car more frequently than going to the dental hygienist for a clean. And that’s not right!
This is a great observation. Often times, if I have a persistent pain somewhere on my body, I tell myself, it'll go away in a few more days. But if my car makes a noise that sounds a little bit different than normal, I'm practically making an appointment with the body shop immediately. I'm guilty of sometimes placing importance of certain objects over personal health.
It reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld joke: "The only warning label people really respect is dry-clean only. Y'know what I mean? Speed limits, lung cancer, cigarette warnings - your very life is at stake! People go, 'Ah, the hell with it!' But dry-clean only? Oh, don't put that in the wash! It's dry-clean only! Are you crazy?!"

Last edited by WNYX; 10-05-20 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LexusGSboy (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 09:40 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYX
Making sure the Blu-rays I purchase (and DVDs before that) have sharp corners was stressful for me when they started including a cardboard slipcase. Those corners were usually always worn in.
Ha! I knew exactly what you meant when I read this... I look at those too! But nothing in life is perfect....

I'm starting to think that I might just leave the Naguri Aluminum trim alone. I read a comment elsewhere on this forum about how another dealership left pry marks in their interior or how once something is taken apart and put back together, there's always a chance of squeaks and creaks happening once the work is done. I think it's best to leave things alone for now, especially my door.
I asked the dealer for my previous car (non-Lexus) to look at the headlight lens on one side because it was getting a bit cloudy and the car was still under warranty. When I went to pick the car up the lens was horribly scratched. That dealer was awesome, apologized and had a fixed - I couldn't tell after. The worry of squeaks and creaks is what keeps me from taking the inside apart although some folks have mentioned using a felt tape that works very well if you decide to do something. The key to pry marks is having the proper tools - the tool should always be softer than the material you're working on so usually you use a set of nylon pry tools to take interior trim pieces off.

My car buying experience with the GS was an odd one. I got to the dealership at 9 am, and I literally didn't leave until 4 pm, so there are stuff here and there I missed during my inspection (also, the vehicle was new to the lot and hadn't been detailed yet, so there was debris, dead leaves, dust, brown caramel-like residue, etc. all over the interior and exterior), but I'm not complaining about that stuff; my main issue is the scratch that the dealership made while my car was in service.
I totally think asking the dealer to fix damage they do while the car is in for service is reasonable. For me, the scratch in the seat (and it could just be the photos don't make it look bad enough) might be something that as you get in and out sort of goes away. As others have mentioned tough, this should be something that can be made to disappear again by a person who knows what they're doing.
The following users liked this post:
WNYX (10-05-20)