Picking between the 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 04:32 AM
carlISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Picking between the 2

Hey guys,
Looking to get into a 4th Gen GS but i am having a hard time picking between the F- sport pack and the Non F sport package.
  • The non f sport package is 2013 year with Mark Levinson, BSM, and heated steering wheels. and with 1 owner! Telling by the pictures, it's fully loaded, Lux package.
  • The F sport package is also a 2013 and has everything MINUS the Mark Levinson and its $1500 more than the non f sport package.
  • Both have relatively the same mileage, 69k-72k. The Mark Levinson sound system is important to me and i am looking to keep this car for a really long time
lastly, if this matters to anyone, the Non f sport is 9 hours away from me, and the F sport is just about 3. Dont mind the drive, but i am not sure if its worth it.

I am having a hard time picking between the two. Does the Mark Levinson make a difference in the sound? Is the F sport model really different than the non F sport, driving experience wise? I had an 2011 ISF with ML so i know the quality is good. I just dont know how the non ML sounds is to make a comparison.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-01-20, 04:37 AM
carlISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot to mention, both are AWD which is really important to me
Old 10-01-20, 05:36 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by carlISF
Hey guys,
Looking to get into a 4th Gen GS but i am having a hard time picking between the F- sport pack and the Non F sport package.
  • The non f sport package is 2013 year with Mark Levinson, BSM, and heated steering wheels. and with 1 owner! Telling by the pictures, it's fully loaded, Lux package.
  • The F sport package is also a 2013 and has everything MINUS the Mark Levinson and its $1500 more than the non f sport package.
  • Both have relatively the same mileage, 69k-72k. The Mark Levinson sound system is important to me and i am looking to keep this car for a really long time
lastly, if this matters to anyone, the Non f sport is 9 hours away from me, and the F sport is just about 3. Dont mind the drive, but i am not sure if its worth it.

I am having a hard time picking between the two. Does the Mark Levinson make a difference in the sound? Is the F sport model really different than the non F sport, driving experience wise? I had an 2011 ISF with ML so i know the quality is good. I just dont know how the non ML sounds is to make a comparison.

Thanks for the feedback.
Get the VIN # for both and run it through my lexus driver website my adding the vehicle in the garage. If the non F sport is indeed a Lux model then I would for that. I have the 2013 Lux model with the ML, BSM, HUD, heated steering etc and it is a blast to drive.
Also check the carfax for any accidents etc. Lastly you can decide which exterior and interior color is more important to you. I always wanted the red interior from the F sport but that was the sacrifice I made when I went for the LUX model with black interior. You would not go wrong either way as both should have the Sports S+ drive mode.
The following users liked this post:
carlISF (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 05:37 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

If you like to actually *drive* your car then I'd think the F sport is a no-brainer. Sport+ or nothing! Lol

Audio can always be upgraded later
Old 10-01-20, 05:46 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by IcyBishop
If you like to actually *drive* your car then I'd think the F sport is a no-brainer. Sport+ or nothing! Lol

Audio can always be upgraded later
If the other car is indeed a LUX model then it should have Sports S+ aswell
Old 10-01-20, 05:49 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I’d say check A car near you to listen to the ML system to see how like it. If yes, it’s sounds like the non f-sport is the one for you. I don’t have ML so I can’t offer any insight there.
Old 10-01-20, 06:21 AM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

ML was a must for me since I’m not into customizing audio and had it on prior two GS and current one. Preferred the F Sport looks so this narrowed my search. Good luck.
Old 10-01-20, 07:17 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd do first option.
F-sport means squat to me honestly and if it's fully loaded as you say, it should still have the adaptive suspension if you're into that.
Old 10-01-20, 07:44 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

As a 2013 AWD LUX owner myself, you will love the ride and handling of it in Sport+ mode and love the higher quality seats and features of the LUX
carlISF (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 07:55 AM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

As much as I love the way F Sport exterior looks on every other vehicle at Lexus, I think I'd lean more towards the Luxury Package on the GS. I think the instrument panel looks better on a non-F Sport (although on the 2013 models, they might look similar) since I'm a fan of the traditional analog gauges. I love, love, love the wood-trim steering wheels that Lexus uses (I'm constantly worried about my leather steering wheel going from matte to shiny or turning white, and I'm also worried about accidentally scratching the leather, so a wood steering wheel eliminates that concern). And (correct me if I'm wrong) the Luxury Package gives the passenger seat the thigh extensions, too, which I think is fancy. I'm not an audiophile, but I'd rather have the Mark Levinson than not.

Are both cars the same color?

Last edited by WNYX; 10-01-20 at 09:29 AM.
carlISF (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 08:09 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Always get the Luxury models when you can find them. They are the way this car was meant to be.
jwolf (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 08:19 AM
Final4GS
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd pick the Lux model over the F Sport, since they are both AWD, the F Sport wheels aren't staggered nor do you get the larger brembo brakes, but you can add badges, change front bumper etc to the Lux model and get the best of both worlds but with everything, you should drive both to feel for yourself.
Old 10-01-20, 11:04 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

First - verify the VINs at Lexus @ https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs

Once you put it in you can expand the sections to see what came on the car originally from the factory.

There are plenty of examples of folks swapping things to make things look like F Sports and Lux models so they have lots of the features but then they'll be missing something like Sport + While you may or may not care about Sport +, you still don't want to pay the premium for a model you're not truly getting.

Personally, I would likely go with the Lux, especially from the '13-'15 MYs

I forget if you can see the service history through the above link or if you have to create an account for that. Accounts are free if you need to create one.
carlISF (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 11:34 AM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Always get the Luxury models when you can find them.
I second this comment. Before I purchased my GS, I used to frequently check the used inventory of several Lexus dealership in my area for months, and I don't recall ever seeing any GS models with the Luxury Package.
Old 10-01-20, 04:58 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by carlISF
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
The F-sport rides a bit rougher IMHO compared to other GS's but that might be fine for you if you're coming from an IS-F.
18" wheels standard on the lux will mean a better ride and cheaper tires...19" wheels on the F-sport will mean costlier tires.
Brakes/rotors are the same on all AWD models.

I'd vote for the Lux package - it has the Sport+ mode, the Mark Levinson system you're looking for, better seats and just more standard options...and its the cheaper of the two! You can always add f-sport exterior mods if you prefer the looks of the F-sport and the opulence of the lux pkg.
carlISF (10-01-20)

Quick Reply: Picking between the 2