GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Blown Rear Shock Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 10:46 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Blown Rear Shock Options

I have a 13 luxury edition AWD. Rear left shock is blown. Any options, websites, where I can get the rear shock absorbers for a decent price since I have AVS?
Old 10-03-20, 11:13 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,160 Likes on 856 Posts

Recent thread on this topic highlighting KYB's as an aftermarket (great quality and price) option: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...yb-struts.html

Not 100% sure if KYB has rear a compatible AWD w/AVS option though...

Otherwise, you might have to go OEM ...SSL-Parts.com or MyLParts.com are a few reputable OEM Lexus dealers with good prices.
Old 10-03-20, 11:22 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Recent thread on this topic highlighting KYB's as an aftermarket (great quality and price) option: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...yb-struts.html

Not 100% sure if KYB has rear a compatible AWD w/AVS option though...

Otherwise, you might have to go OEM ...SSL-Parts.com or MyLParts.com are a few reputable OEM Lexus dealers with good prices.

Thanks for the reply. The one's I have on my car right now are KYB but I can't seem to find any online. Rock auto has some KYBs but none that are both compatible with AWD and AVS.
Thank you for the additional websites! AVS nice to have... expensive when they fail lol
Old 10-04-20, 04:07 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts

Disclaimer: I do not have an AWD. 2013 450h with AVS. Did not realize the shocks would be different between RWD and AWD. I this confirmed as in Lexus sells two different parts for them? Just curious what’s the difference may be between them.
Old 10-04-20, 02:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

Do the rear shock absorbers have electronic valving too, or are they just manual valving?
Old 10-04-20, 03:09 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hues10
Disclaimer: I do not have an AWD. 2013 450h with AVS. Did not realize the shocks would be different between RWD and AWD. I this confirmed as in Lexus sells two different parts for them? Just curious what’s the difference may be between them.
I messaged a Lexus dealer on ebay to see what they say. I’m curious as well what the difference might be. Maybe something to do with the differentials? No idea. But it sucks!

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Do the rear shock absorbers have electronic valving too, or are they just manual valving?
They have the electronic valving from what I know & checked on my car.
Old 10-04-20, 08:11 PM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

I ordered the KYB Gas-A-Just front struts for my '14 f-sport. They just arrived today and will be installing them next weekend. I'll report back on the capability and ride quility after install. I'm replacing leaking struts, not blown so should be able to tell a difference over stock of there is any.
Old 10-05-20, 08:44 AM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Man, seems like these KYB shocks are prone to failure at low miles. My driver side rear shock on Base Gs350 seems to be leaking as well at 45k miles. Sadly, my Bumper to Bumper warranty ran out in May of this year. Always made fun of German cars requiring some sort of work right out of the warranty period, never expected my Lexus to do the same. 😐
I came across the KYB shocks for the non-AVS GS. They are called KYB Just A Gas shocks that are sold for around 100 bucks for a pair. Might end up getting those as replacement for mine.

Old 10-05-20, 10:40 AM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NatGen
I have a 13 luxury edition AWD. Rear left shock is blown. Any options, websites, where I can get the rear shock absorbers for a decent price since I have AVS?
How did you find out or noticed that the rear is blown and needs to be replaced?
​​
The following users liked this post:
2GR (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 02:03 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Originally Posted by CouveGS
I ordered the KYB Gas-A-Just front struts for my '14 f-sport. They just arrived today and will be installing them next weekend. I'll report back on the capability and ride quility after install. I'm replacing leaking struts, not blown so should be able to tell a difference over stock of there is any.
that’s good. Where did you get them from? Mind just letting us know here how they are after installing them? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Gr8
Man, seems like these KYB shocks are prone to failure at low miles. My driver side rear shock on Base Gs350 seems to be leaking as well at 45k miles. Sadly, my Bumper to Bumper warranty ran out in May of this year. Always made fun of German cars requiring some sort of work right out of the warranty period, never expected my Lexus to do the same. 😐
I came across the KYB shocks for the non-AVS GS. They are called KYB Just A Gas shocks that are sold for around 100 bucks for a pair. Might end up getting those as replacement for mine.

it sucks! I’m sorry, what luck but it’s always a good day if we think so. I was just looking at the KYBs on rock auto for my fronts. I will probably replace everything all at once. Front ones probably will go soon for me too.

Originally Posted by MGs350
How did you find out or noticed that the rear is blown and needs to be replaced?
​​
I went to my local mechanic after I kept hearing a LOUD pop every time I would go on small bumps/uneven pavements. I thought it was something in the trunk - spare tire - which I removed but it continued. Finally took it to the shop and the rear shocks are gone.
Old 10-05-20, 02:26 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8

My 2016 IS is the same way. Leaking rear shocks and it only had 15k on the odo. The previous owner on my GS had the shocks replaced at around 50k. I'm surprised that they are leaking so early on.
Old 10-05-20, 03:04 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

What surprises me the most is that this issue seems to be going on for a few years and Toyota/Lexus is still using the same supplier for it's shocks. You will think that after a couple of model years with issues, Toyota/Lexus will reevaluate and change, but not the case in this situation. Considering that the GS is (was) Lexus's one down from top of the line Sedan, these sort of complaints should have been remedied a bit better.
The following users liked this post:
Cal916 (10-08-20)
Old 10-05-20, 06:05 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

If my car is still under warranty and the shocks go bad often wonder how I'd go about getting the dealer to replace them.
Old 10-06-20, 06:35 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by MGs350
If my car is still under warranty and the shocks go bad often wonder how I'd go about getting the dealer to replace them.
Any changes in the ride quality? Have them inspect the shocks for leaks. If it is leaking, they might replace it under warranty. That's how I found out on my IS. I didn't pay anything out of pocket.
Old 10-07-20, 04:43 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MX73
Any changes in the ride quality? Have them inspect the shocks for leaks. If it is leaking, they might replace it under warranty. That's how I found out on my IS. I didn't pay anything out of pocket.
I don't feel a difference in ride quality. Don't drive anything close to how much I used to. Went from driving 20k a year to probably 10k.

Quick Reply: Blown Rear Shock Options