aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have that exact one, it's great.
Old 10-05-20, 06:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

For charging my phone in the GS, I just use a cigarette lighter charger, plugged in to the center console, and it works very well.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 06:36 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
For charging my phone in the GS, I just use a cigarette lighter charger, plugged in to the center console, and it works very well.
Thanks, I just ordered it. I hope it's easy to plug in and remove as needed.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 07:29 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Looks almost identical to this one I bought last October. Had an Aukey Amazon coupon, cost me all of $5.60, still a good value at the current price of $12.99.

Aukey charger Aukey charger
Old 10-05-20, 09:13 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by chinee
Looks almost identical to this one I bought last October. Had an Aukey Amazon coupon, cost me all of $5.60, still a good value at the current price of $12.99.

Aukey charger
Not sure why the black cover one was cheaper. I purchased the cheaper one. Nobody will see it.
Old 10-05-20, 10:00 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Man canada is such a ****hole, everything costs much more for the same ****.. even factoring exchange rate.
Old 10-06-20, 06:43 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
Man canada is such a ****hole, everything costs much more for the same ****.. even factoring exchange rate.
Amazon.ca had that one for 12.99 minus the $4.00 coupon. I would have ordered it, but I want faster charging and got the anker
Old 10-06-20, 07:54 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Measured
Amazon.ca had that one for 12.99 minus the $4.00 coupon. I would have ordered it, but I want faster charging and got the anker
Always gank on shipping though, and the selection is way worse on .ca than .com

Im thinking of getting one with USB-C and USB. Can barely charge my phone right off the port.. need a cigarette adapter charger forsure.
Old 10-06-20, 10:35 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Always gank on shipping though, and the selection is way worse on .ca than .com

Im thinking of getting one with USB-C and USB. Can barely charge my phone right off the port.. need a cigarette adapter charger forsure.

are you not a prime member? I know .com is way better, but man I don't need it same or next day for a discount. Anyway, not to take away from this thread. Here's a link for you.

UBC A & C charger $12.99 free ship 2 days UBC A & C charger $12.99 free ship 2 days
Old 10-07-20, 02:18 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Measured
are you not a prime member? I know .com is way better, but man I don't need it same or next day for a discount. Anyway, not to take away from this thread. Here's a link for you.

UBC A & C charger $12.99 free ship 2 days
Nope not a prime member, i appreciate the link, but first review is 1 star "junk".
Old 10-07-20, 02:42 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Nope not a prime member, i appreciate the link, but first review is 1 star "junk".
I also posted a link earlier for Primecables - they are very reliable and the product quality is good.

They often run promos for free shipping during holidays, and I'd bet they will have something for Thanksgiving week.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-358485-...tech#sku367332
Old 10-07-20, 03:39 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by er34
I also posted a link earlier for Primecables - they are very reliable and the product quality is good.

They often run promos for free shipping during holidays, and I'd bet they will have something for Thanksgiving week.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-358485-...tech#sku367332
Yes i seen it, i actually have their charging cables right now, they're mfi certified or w/e and work very well, got the black braided ones.

I'm in need of a new phone, currently have the iphone 6 plus from 2014 lol, so i will see what apple comes out with on tuesday and try to pick something accordingly, i feel 1 usb-C and 1 usb-a or w/e will be best for new and older devices.
Old 10-07-20, 04:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Anyone have any opinions?
From what I know, your late 2017 iPhone X Series and the late 2018 iPhone XS Series only charges at something like the conventional 1 Amp.
It wasn't until late 2019 that the iPhone 11 Pro Series had a high speed charger bundled in the box to enable it to charge at something like 2 Amps.

The question is, if a 5V 2A charger is plugged into your iPhone X, will your iPhone X still only charge at 1 Amp, or will it actually charge at 2 Amps???

I know that Samsung Galaxy S Series from 2014 onwards had high speed 2A charging, and this can be switched on/off by going into Settings, Battery, 3 Dots, Settings, Fast Cable Charging, and On/Off.
If Fast Cable Charging is enabled, and it is plugged into a 5V 1A charger, then the cell phone will only charge at 5V 1A.
So could worrying about a high speed charging USB port be pointless for an iPhone X?

NB
I just found out.
Apparently, the standard iPhone 5 Watt charger charges at the usual 5V by 1A.
However, your iPhone X can be charged with an iPad 12 Watt charger, which charges at literally 5V by 2.4A.
Thus, the iPhone X and onwards seem to have no software to limit its charging speed.

Wirelessly, the late 2017 iPhone 8 & X [with Gorilla Glass backs] and onwards are wirelessly limited to only 7.5 Watts, that is 5V by 1.5A wireless charging.

However, always remember that rapid 1 hour charging is certainly very convenient, but it causes more rapid battery degradation to age the battery and require replacement more quickly.
Rapid charging can also cause lithium ion explosions, so should never be done with no person in nearby attendance.

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-07-20 at 05:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peteharvey:
eddie420 (10-10-20), websurfer (10-07-20)
Old 10-07-20, 05:28 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by peteharvey
From what I know, your late 2017 iPhone X Series and the late 2018 iPhone XS Series only charges at something like the conventional 1 Amp.
It wasn't until late 2019 that the iPhone 11 Pro Series had a high speed charger bundled in the box to enable it to charge at something like 2 Amps.

The question is, if a 5V 2A charger is plugged into your iPhone X, will your iPhone X still only charge at 1 Amp, or will it actually charge at 2 Amps???

I know that Samsung Galaxy S Series from 2014 onwards had high speed 2A charging, and this can be switched on/off by going into Settings, Battery, 3 Dots, Settings, Fast Cable Charging, and On/Off.
If Fast Cable Charging is enabled, and it is plugged into a 5V 1A charger, then the cell phone will only charge at 5V 1A.
So could worrying about a high speed charging USB port be pointless for an iPhone X?

NB
I just found out.
Apparently, the standard iPhone 5 Watt charger charges at the usual 5V by 1A.
However, your iPhone X can be charged with an iPad 12 Watt charger, which charges at literally 5V by 2.4A.
Thus, the iPhone X and onwards seem to have no software to limit its charging speed.

Wirelessly, the late 2017 iPhone 8 & X and onwards are wirelessly limited to only 7.5 Watts, that is 5V by 1.5A wireless charging.

However, always remember that rapid 1 hour charging is certainly very convenient, but it causes more rapid battery degradation to age the battery and require replacement more quickly.
Rapid charging can also cause lithium ion explosions, so should never be done with no person in nearby attendance.

If fast charging wears out the battery faster, just think about EV cars. Fast charging could just be as bad. The batteries are a lot more expensive if out of warranty.
Old 10-07-20, 06:11 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
If fast charging wears out the battery faster, just think about EV cars. Fast charging could just be as bad. The batteries are a lot more expensive if out of warranty.
Yes, supercharging does cause more rapid battery degradation, and that's why Toyota Motor Corp want to bypass lithium ion batteries altogether, and jump directly into Solid State battery technology.

Presently, the only full BEV TMC vehicles with lithium ion batteries are the C-HR and UX300e both on sale only in China.

Quick Reply: USB in the armrest console