GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Failing !2v Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 11:57 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Failing !2v Battery

Had my car sinceFeb 2019 it had been stood a while there when purchased it i asked the salesman about the 12 v battery said its only a couple of months old showed me the date on the Battery was 18/11/18 so thought yes ok, a couple of times this summer it let me down I was checking Menus and trying to get Lexus connect to work so had to put the smart charger on it the voltage was 11.2 and that was when it was failing now if i leave car stood more than a couple of days it wont start voltage down.

My Question is there an alternative Battery i can use as UK Lexus quoting £250 plus for a new battery "gulp" surely there is a AGM battery that will fit I asked TOYOTA they said you will have to use Lexus its a Mk 4 by the way

TIA

Robert

Last edited by Robertcave; 10-12-20 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Edit Text
Old 10-12-20, 12:28 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertcave
Had my car sinceFeb 2019 it had been stood a while there when purchased it i asked the salesman about the 12 v battery said its only a couple of months old showed me the date on the Battery was 18/11/18 so thought yes ok, a couple of times this summer it let me down I was checking Menus and trying to get Lexus connect to work so had to put the smart charger on it the voltage was 11.2 and that was when it was failing now if i leave car stood more than a couple of days it wont start voltage down.

My Question is there an alternative Battery i can use as UK Lexus quoting £250 plus for a new battery "gulp" surely there is a AGM battery that will fit I asked TOYOTA they said you will have to use Lexus its a Mk 4 by the way

TIA

Robert
You can use any 12v agm battery that will fit. I ended up modifying the battery tray in the trunk to upsize my battery to a more common size that gave me more options.
Old 10-12-20, 09:30 AM
Final4GS
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

AGM is a good battery choice, when my original Lexus battery eventually fails, I'll get an AGM battery.

You might need to find a similar size but slightly different size for different battery manufacturers to use as in the US, Lexus standard battery which is Group 24, but you can always use Group 34 or 35 as Group 34 is 1" shorter and Group 35 is 1" shorter in length than the Group 24 battery.

I think since you're in the UK, they use 068 battery which Hankook makes a AGM battery in that size. They also carry Optima (red top) in the UK but would need to find a "like" size as even here in the US, we would use Optima RedTop 25 since it's the closest to Group 24 size battery if we were to use that specific battery which is about 1" shorter in height and 1" shorter in length.
Old 10-12-20, 11:52 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Thank you for your suggestions it is much appreciated
Old 10-13-20, 03:09 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

Keep in mind that the OEM Lexus batteries made by Panasonic use "pure" silver electrodes which generally last 4-5 years.
These OEM Lexus Panasonic batteries are traditional maintenance types which allow topping up of water to lengthen their overall life.

However, aftermarket batteries use "non-pure" electrodes which degrade rapidly, lasting an average of only 2+ years.
These days, often the aftermarket batteries are available in "non-maintenance" only, and because the water can't be topped up, the longevity is shorter again.

Many use aftermarket batteries, because the OEM Lexus batteries by Panasonic have twice the lifespan, but cost 10 times more, hence very poor value for money.
The following 2 users liked this post by peteharvey:
Im2bz2p345 (10-14-20), ShonBooker (11-09-20)
Old 10-13-20, 03:36 PM
jsant1070
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I typically buy aftermarket batteries (interstate from Costco) and my experiences are that they last similarly to OEM (>4-5 years). I don't think I've EVER had a battery go out in 2+ years...
Old 10-13-20, 11:49 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

However, aftermarket batteries use "non-pure" electrodes which degrade rapidly, lasting an average of only 2+ years.
These days, often the aftermarket batteries are available in "non-maintenance" only, and because the water can't be topped up, the longevity is shorter again.
thanks PeteHarvey
How can they be topped up there is no where to top it up that eas my thought was the water level low
Old 10-14-20, 02:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

thanks PeteHarvey
How can they be topped up there is no where to top it up that eas my thought was the water level low
The traditional maintenance batteries have six removable caps to top up with demineralized water.
While the new maintenance-free batteries are sealed [sort of like a modern day cell phone], with no simple removable cap to top up the water levels.

My father is an electrician and electronic technician, and he says he is still able to prize open the supposedly permanently sealed maintenance-free batteries to top up the water level and extend the life of the maintenance-free batteries.
I looked into it. I could prize the rectangular caps off and re-glue it, but too messy, not worth it, and won't extend the life by that much...
Old 10-14-20, 03:34 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Bosch Group 24R 12 AGM battery. I swapped it and it fit perfectly and works great, been 1.5 yrs with the new battery

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...?partId=S6521B
The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 01:15 PM
DaGou
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bro you asked the wrong question. You do not have a battery problem. I had a very similar problem with my 2014 GS350. If left unattended for more than a week it would not start. After much trouble shooting, and two new batteries, and two weeks at the dealer they found the problem. Some black box computer had some crazy error in it and was draining the battery. They replaced that box for about $1200 and all was well for about two years then it started again and I sold the POS.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaGou:
scottgs350 (11-29-20), ShonBooker (11-09-20)
Old 10-18-20, 12:03 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Can i ask a quick question I am in proccess of changing my 12v Aux battery on my GS450h on top of the battery is a fuse block connected to the pos terminal
Does that have to be took of before holdingclamp as it looks pretty tight in there to get battery out
I have also noticed that the Battery Temp cable is missing from the Battery but the plug is fixed to side of battery tray
Would this have been the cause of my problems
TIA
Robert
Old 10-18-20, 12:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Can i ask a quick question I am in proccess of changing my 12v Aux battery on my GS450h on top of the battery is a fuse block connected to the pos terminal
Does that have to be took of before holdingclamp as it looks pretty tight in there to get battery out
I have also noticed that the Battery Temp cable is missing from the Battery but the plug is fixed to side of battery tray
Would this have been the cause of my problems
TIA
Robert
Disconnect the negative, wrap it with a rag and get it out of the way. Yes the fuse block has to be removed. It is a tight fit, you need to get everything out of the way to remove the battery.
Old 10-18-20, 02:02 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Thanks for that Peasdos you are a star
Robert
Old 10-24-20, 12:00 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by peasodos
Disconnect the negative, wrap it with a rag and get it out of the way. Yes the fuse block has to be removed. It is a tight fit, you need to get everything out of the way to remove the battery.
Thanks For the info Peasodos I disconnected both cables put a rubber glove on both removed the fuse block and hey presto change was a breeze
I managed to get a OEM Battery fronm a lexus parts dept on line £200 was pleased with that as From Lexus was £247 + vat £20 +
Also confirmed with me that the Battery temp sensor is no longer needed ,
I have noticed the headlights seem brighter too mu old battery when charged was 12.2 the new one straight out of Box was 12.7
Thanks
Old 10-24-20, 05:44 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Thanks For the info Peasodos I disconnected both cables put a rubber glove on both removed the fuse block and hey presto change was a breeze
I managed to get a OEM Battery fronm a lexus parts dept on line £200 was pleased with that as From Lexus was £247 + vat £20 +
Also confirmed with me that the Battery temp sensor is no longer needed ,
I have noticed the headlights seem brighter too mu old battery when charged was 12.2 the new one straight out of Box was 12.7
Thanks
12.2V is a nearly 1/2 dead battery. Anything below 12.0V is considered discharged. 12.7V is a well-charged battery.

My car has been sitting and only driven once per week. It has been dead enough that the horn chirps and the headlights go all flashy-wonky. I have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Putting a charger on it does not help at that stage.

I drove it today to see if it would start. It cranked slow but fired. I drove about 10 minutes and shopped for 15 minutes and it started again just fine.

When I returned home, it showed 12.07V on my digital meter. I disconnected the battery and am charging it overnight to see what I get in the morning. If it is 12.5 or above, I'll leave it alone for 24 hours to see what loss it has without being connected to the car. Then I will do another 24-hour test reconnected to see how much draw there is in a day.

My luck with batteries is either excellent or crap. The batteries in my muscle cars that haven't been driven in 1 week and 2 weeks respectively are 12.52v and 12.49v. My lawnmower which has not run in 2 weeks is 12.51v. The batteries in my muscle cars last for a decade. I attribute that to being on a battery tender all winter. I got 12 years out of the last one. Even my mower got 6 years out of the last battery. My Lexus ran 2.3 years before I had to replace it in April 2020. Now, that battery is not great at 6 months in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Knucklebus:
Robertcave (10-25-20), ShonBooker (11-09-20)

Quick Reply: Failing !2v Battery