GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Backup Camera intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 10:33 AM
scott15Fsp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera intermittent

The back up camera on my 2015 GS 350 works one day, not the next. Screen is just black when I put into reverse. Every other function on the screen works - Navigation, etc. The only issue is sometimes, when I put the car in reverse, the screen where the camera feed would be is black. I noticed that if I start the car and it works, it will work again and again during that same trip. If I start the car and it does not work, it will not work during that entire trip. The issue occurs every week. At least once per week it will not work. Sometimes it goes days without working, then it works for days at a time. Dealer upgraded the firmware, and that helped for a while, but now the same issue again. They can't figure it out. Anyone have a similar issue and find a fix?
Old 11-01-20, 11:41 AM
Zander416
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scott15Fsp
The back up camera on my 2015 GS 350 works one day, not the next. Screen is just black when I put into reverse. Every other function on the screen works - Navigation, etc. The only issue is sometimes, when I put the car in reverse, the screen where the camera feed would be is black. I noticed that if I start the car and it works, it will work again and again during that same trip. If I start the car and it does not work, it will not work during that entire trip. The issue occurs every week. At least once per week it will not work. Sometimes it goes days without working, then it works for days at a time. Dealer upgraded the firmware, and that helped for a while, but now the same issue again. They can't figure it out. Anyone have a similar issue and find a fix?
I had this issue on a SHO. I got in under the trunk cover to where the harness plugs into the camera.
Make sure it's clean, and nothing looks lose. You can spray it with electrical cleanser and put back together. It helped mine. You can also use WD40, it's safe for electronics. I think moisture can get through and cause issues.
Old 11-29-20, 10:22 AM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the exact same problem. This is specially happening during winter times - can someone please post some instructions or pictures on how to access the harness to access the camera?
Old 12-06-21, 02:40 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Any updates on this issue? I seem to notice something similar, it only occurs after I open and close the trunk. I can then fix the issue if I open and close the trunk again.

Sometomes there is interference on the signal when the camera appears on the screen. I'm assuming the issue is easily accessible after removing the carpet liner and I can just check out the connector but curious if anyone else tackled this. Thanks!
Old 12-06-21, 11:52 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I am having this problem in my 2016 GS 200T. It is difficult to pinpoint the cause. I did some research and here are my findings.

The steps I would follow (in order from low to high involvement):
1. Make sure all software/firmware is up to date.
2. Check if the system is throwing any code. If it is, diagnose, fix, and clear the code.
3. Check for dirt, moisture, and loose connections from the camera all the way through the head unit. If opening/closing the trunk causes or fixes the issue, there might be a connection problem somewhere in the trunk.

See this LS (2007-2017) thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ra-glitch.html , and in particular the following post:
Originally Posted by sfuad
I can tell you a similar story with my 2005 LS 430 which I bought as CPO in 2008. Within couple of months of my purchase, I had similar issue that camera would go black some times. Took it to dealership in Richmond, VA and they changed the camera under warranty. Told me that cost was $1300 but Lexus took care of it. This did not solve the problem so I was back at the dealership within couple of weeks. This time they changed the computer which controls the camera. Told me again that it was $1700 fix, but was covered under warranty. This still did not fix the issue. So on the third attempt they kept the vehicle for five days and when I finally picked the vehicle, I asked them what was actually wrong with the vehicle. I was told there was a loose connector behind the head unit which randomly would work most of the times and on some occasions would show bad connection and hence black screen. I drove that vehicle for 6 1/2 more years (200K plus miles) after this, never had an issue again.

I certainly believe that there is a loose connection somewhere. Finding that loose connection might be the most difficult part. Once found, fix is very simple then.

Here is a useful video on fixing this issue in a Nissan:

Last edited by bb700092; 12-07-21 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-06-21, 11:58 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
I am having this problem in my 2016 GS 200T. It is difficult to pinpoint the cause. I did some research and here are my findings.

The steps I would follow (in order from low to high involvement):
1. Make sure all software/firmware is up to date.
2. Check if the system is throwing any code. If it is, diagnose, fix, and clear the code.
3. Check for dirt, moisture, and loose connections from the camera all the way through the head unit. If opening/closing the trunk creates or fixes the issue, there might be a connection problem somewhere in the trunk.

See this LS (2007-2017) thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/new...eply&p=9480114 , and in particular the following post:

Here is a useful video on fixing this issue in a Nissan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4csDRWxVtU
I also have a 2016 GS200t. I am betting the issue is in the trunk connection since when it does happen its always caused or fixed by opening and closing the trunk. Should be fairly easy to address.
Old 12-06-21, 05:55 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
I also have a 2016 GS200t. I am betting the issue is in the trunk connection since when it does happen its always caused or fixed by opening and closing the trunk. Should be fairly easy to address.
Opening/closing the trunk does not make any difference in my case. For your case, the Nissan video I posted might be helpful.