Subwoofer material rattles

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 04:10 AM
Ktrav103
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Subwoofer material rattles

Good morning,
wanted to see if anyone else has this issue? I have been hearing a rattling noise from the subwoofer in the package tray. I like listening to music at a loud volume and I’m not playing anything that has ridiculous bass.
I got in the backseat and found that material that covers the subwoofer is loose and rattling. It’s as though the material has become unglued. (See video)
Wondering if I need to visit the dealer and have the subwoofer grille replaced???

let me know if this is a known issue or an isolated case.

thanks in advance!!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9386.MOV (4.03 MB, 599 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Ktrav103:
Ana97 (03-24-22), glamberty (04-07-23)
Old 10-30-20, 11:54 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

You can replace it but I suspect if you remove the grill, there might be a way to re-adhere the cloth lining. Or maybe it's the grill material itself, cracked with age? It would be interesting to find out.
First time hearing about this, so isolated issue most likely, but then again, you have a 7-8 year old car... and depending on whether it's left in the elements (sun), that would also factor into the life of that part.

Old 10-30-20, 12:07 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Something loose or somehow some debris under that grill. You need to remove this panel to resolve this issue.
Old 10-30-20, 01:55 PM
Ktrav103
Rookie

Originally Posted by peasodos
Something loose or somehow some debris under that grill. You need to remove this panel to resolve this issue.
thanks for the response. 2 things..... 1. Is the fabric is flapping/loose. 2. I’m not removing anything, it’s under warranty LOL. I just don’t want to bring it to the dealer and have them take it all apart if everyone’s GS does the same thing
Old 10-30-20, 02:07 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ktrav103
thanks for the response. 2 things..... 1. Is the fabric is flapping/loose. 2. I’m not removing anything, it’s under warranty LOL. I just don’t want to bring it to the dealer and have them take it all apart if everyone’s GS does the same thing
Mine doesn't do that, defiantly sounds like something bouncing off the sub woofer or something loose. Only way to fix it is to remove that panel, may just need to clear some debris or add some felt tape to stop the rattle.

It involves, removing the rear seats, rear trim around the doors, rear inner c-pillar trim to get to the rear deck
Attached are the removal instructions from the factory service manual, so you can see whats involved.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear deck trim removal.pdf (414.3 KB, 330 views)
Old 10-30-20, 04:20 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Oops... not sure why I thought you had a 2013... must have mixed up a couple of threads... long day... long week.
Old 10-30-20, 04:32 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Mine doesn't do that, defiantly sounds like something bouncing off the sub woofer or something loose. Only way to fix it is to remove that panel, may just need to clear some debris or add some felt tape to stop the rattle.

It involves, removing the rear seats, rear trim around the doors, rear inner c-pillar trim to get to the rear deck
Attached are the removal instructions from the factory service manual, so you can see whats involved.
I need to take my bottom cushion out. Is there really a risk of damaging it if not pulled out fast enough? The file says possible damage can occur. I know you have experience with this.
Old 10-30-20, 04:35 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
I need to take my bottom cushion out. Is there really a risk of damaging it if not pulled out fast enough? The file says possible damage can occur. I know you have experience with this.
No it's two clips/metal that hold it down in two spots and you have to pull up hard, in those spots. I don't see how you'll damage it, if the clip pops out just put it back in. I removed the seat bottom a couple times and it's not hard.
Old 10-30-20, 04:43 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Great song choice! For those that weren't around when "Dreams" on Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album came out enjoy.

Old 03-24-22, 06:16 PM
Ana97
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning,
wanted to see if anyone else has this issue? I have been hearing a rattling noise from the subwoofer in the package tray. I like listening to music at a loud volume and I’m not playing anything that has ridiculous bass.
I got in the backseat and found that material that covers the subwoofer is loose and rattling. It’s as though the material has become unglued. (See video)
Wondering if I need to visit the dealer and have the subwoofer grille replaced???

let me know if this is a known issue or an isolated case.

thanks in advance!!

My 2018 GS 350 RWD is doing the exact same thing. It just started last week and it drives me nuts! Have you taken yours to a dealership? I am taking mine in tomorrow morning. I hope it helps solve the issue as I can not stand rattles. I blame our cars being so quiet that it’s easy to catch them lol!
Old 03-24-22, 06:23 PM
aBlueIS250
Driver School Candidate

Default Subwoofer material rattles

I don’t find that at all, when Im with the boys and turn the bass up to 5 it sounds mint!
Old 03-24-22, 06:51 PM
Ana97
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by aBlueIS250
I don’t find that at all, when Im with the boys and turn the bass up to 5 it sounds mint!
I couldn’t agree more! I loved the way it has been sounding. I keep the bass high, mids normal, and raise up the treble with the surround feature enabled and it is unparalleled to anything I have seen in another car. It sounds way better than my friends new TLX Type S ELS 3D audio system with speakers in the roof and everything. That is why I was so frustrated when the rattling started at even volumes of 15. Hopefully they will be able to solve the issue with that and the sunroof.
Old 03-25-22, 02:17 AM
Ktrav103
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ana97
My 2018 GS 350 RWD is doing the exact same thing. It just started last week and it drives me nuts! Have you taken yours to a dealership? I am taking mine in tomorrow morning. I hope it helps solve the issue as I can not stand rattles. I blame our cars being so quiet that it’s easy to catch them lol!

The dealership replaced the rear package tray and it completely resolved my issue! No problem ever since.
Old 03-28-22, 01:10 PM
Ana97
3rd Gear

The dealership replaced the rear package tray and it completely resolved my issue! No problem ever since.
They finally called back. They said they are not comfortable removing the back seats and upper portion of the car since it deals with the “structural integrity of the car” and that they will not repair the rattling they heard. They said to turn the bass to zero. Why have a setting you can’t use! At least they got the sunroof rattle covered under warranty and the new loaner ES 350 with only 100 miles on it was fun to drive in the mean time. Not sure what to do now besides do it myself or find a shop to repair it?
Old 06-02-23, 12:51 AM
thelilman
4th Gear

Default Same issue

hey man I’m just now having the same issue. I’m wondering if I could just take the little fabric off some how. What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Subwoofer material rattles