GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DEAD BATTERY no warning? no sounds..

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 10:48 PM
rx330lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DEAD BATTERY no warning? no sounds..

hi guys. so the battery seems to be dead without a warning, didn't drive today but was running perfectly. no clicking no sounds at all when i press start. have been driving a lot less, but small errands almost daily. its as stock as it gets, just the usb cable thats been there. the only real change recently is the use of heated seats, cant remember if i left it on or not.
bought this car in august, but i just checked the records it says its got a new battery replaced by the dealer on may 28th. isnt there a battery warranty at least a year or so?
is this car known for anything that sucks up the battery? or bad alternator?
14 gs350 110k. thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-20, 03:12 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

That's how my original battery died, there is no warning, one day it's completely dead.

Look at the battery it will have the manufacturers date on it. Then you'll know if they actually changed it. Also rather than jumping to conclusions about other things, just get the battery tested. Autozone, advance auto, pepboys, any of these places test batteries for free.

Unless you did a modification to the car that's causing drain with the car off or you have the network gateway ecu drain, it's the battery.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ery-drain.html

Old 11-18-20, 10:18 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Just because dealer said they replaced battery, doesn't mean that actually did. Check your battery. You live in hot climate which kills batteries much quicker and not driving as much during Covid doesn't keep it charged. Get a trickle charger to hook up to your battery while car is sitting in garage.
Old 11-18-20, 12:20 PM
rx330lexus
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys! i jumped it and here at the dealer now, we’ll see what they say.

i just remembered a crazy thing happened the night before. i needed to go grocery store so i got inside and started the car and i heard some peoples phone conversation through my speakers. i thought it must be the radio, changed it to radio and it was indeed the car phone connection. i thought i called someone accidentally, so i turn off all my wifi/bluetooth and it was still going on, someone i never heard before, talking to somebody. crazy story.

any of you guys ever heard something like this before?
Old 11-18-20, 12:33 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

For a short time Lexus had a bad network module which would drain the car's battery pretty quick to flat dead, almost no lights and clicking sounds when you tried to start it. I think mostly 2013 models and maybe 2014 were affected. So look up that tsb. It's been posted in this forum before. The module is behind the glove box and there is an updated part.

The gs really drains batteries really quickly if your car isn't running.
Old 11-20-20, 07:23 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

I bought our 2013 GS under CPO a little over 2 years ago. The battery was new from the dealer at that point.
One day, the battery was dead. I charged it and brought it in.
The dealer tested it and kept it for a day, to retest after a night. Found no problem. That was early this year, I believe.
It happened again 2 days ago; I am pretty sure it is past the 2 year warranty. I just charged it for an hour. Battery took a charge easily.
Dunno what to think.
Good luck and please post your results.
Old 11-20-20, 08:20 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The best 450h battery was the factory one, it lasted 6 years, 100k miles, at one point I didn't drive the car for 4 weeks and started up no problem.

I replaced it with some other brand because I didn't want to pay $400 for the oem one.
Old 11-20-20, 11:38 AM
rx330lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I bought our 2013 GS under CPO a little over 2 years ago. The battery was new from the dealer at that point.
One day, the battery was dead. I charged it and brought it in.
The dealer tested it and kept it for a day, to retest after a night. Found no problem. That was early this year, I believe.
It happened again 2 days ago; I am pretty sure it is past the 2 year warranty. I just charged it for an hour. Battery took a charge easily.
Dunno what to think.
Good luck and please post your results.
the battery was new and installed by lexus 6 months ago, so i had lexus warranty for 2 years. they took it in, charged it and said the health of the battery was really good. they just said something drained it overnight, maybe door ajar or something. no problems since, hopefully it was just a one time thing.
but as for the mysterious phone call conversation i heard through my speakers, they said never heard anything like that. so im still confused about that one.
Old 11-21-20, 02:30 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rx330lexus
thanks guys! i jumped it and here at the dealer now, we’ll see what they say.

i just remembered a crazy thing happened the night before. i needed to go grocery store so i got inside and started the car and i heard some peoples phone conversation through my speakers. i thought it must be the radio, changed it to radio and it was indeed the car phone connection. i thought i called someone accidentally, so i turn off all my wifi/bluetooth and it was still going on, someone i never heard before, talking to somebody. crazy story.

any of you guys ever heard something like this before?
Did it show a phone call was in progress? Could you hang up? Most likely a phone paired with your car was in range.
If that is unlikely, call the most tech experienced pastor you know, time for an exorcism!
Old 11-21-20, 10:30 AM
rx330lexus
Driver School Candidate

yes my screen looked just like when im on the phone when my phone is connected. i thought it was a radio, so hit few buttons, and went back to the media and i still heard the conversation. i also checked my phone if i called somebody accidentally, nothing so i turned off the bluetooth/wifi and still heard it. all together good 5 secs, then it was all back to normal.
crazy thing is few weeks back, i was driving with someone, and a call came in that i didnt wanna pick up, so i just turned off my bluetooth/wifi, didnt want to be disrupted again, but the call was still coming in few like 2, 3 secs lol, never had this happened with my audi. so yeah i think the receiver/media system is def buggy.
Old 11-23-20, 08:23 AM
mylehigh1
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a garaged 2015 F-Sport AWD with 49K miles, and I believe the battery has never been changed. Will a Auto parts store battery test tell me whether I'm likely to have a dead battery experience this winter?
Old 11-23-20, 10:30 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mylehigh1
I have a garaged 2015 F-Sport AWD with 49K miles, and I believe the battery has never been changed. Will a Auto parts store battery test tell me whether I'm likely to have a dead battery experience this winter?

My 2015 F-Sport battery failed recently, just like my 2007 IS did. The battery acid had evaporated. refilling the battery cells with distilled water made it work normally again.
There is no such thing as a "maintenence Free battery. The hotter the weather is the faster the water evaporates.
I bought a Walmart battery with a 10 year warranty.