GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Questionable service experience, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 11:15 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by saikumar
The first time I took the vehicle to the dealership, they suggested that the fluid was 0.5 quarts low and filled it up to the level.
I took it back the second time, they told me it's 2quarts low. That doesn't make any sense.
It makes perfect sense - either you have a leak or they don't know what they're doing. Leak is unlikely as you can't be 0.5 short after x time and suddenly 2 low after a service - but it's still possible.....maybe they were just being economical with the truth.

They're probably not experienced in tranny service and repairs as US Lexus dealer mechanics parts swappers aren't generally required to... but they'll sell and install you a whole new one.

You need to get it to a good transmission mechanic...the sort of guy who can tell you which gearbox model yours has by looking at the car. If it's damaged you're at square one but they can at least they can drop the pan, replace the gasket and filter and set the level correctly. I think Lexus do sell tranny overhaul kits but I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it. If you know a good mechanic, don't be afraid to ask for a reference.
The following users liked this post:
saikumar (12-08-20)
Old 12-07-20, 03:44 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

The vehicle previously was a personal lease. Not sure about previous owner changing the fluid.

Update as of 6/12, dealership told me there was 2 quarts of fluid less in the transmission (which I don't believe at all).
Couple days after, the problem got much worse, initially, I was feeling the slippage during cold start now I could feel it after completely up to temperature.

I don't know how to proceed with this situation. I cannot go back to any of the lexus dealerships in Utah. They're just ruining the vehicle completely when giving it back to me.

Please suggest!
Go back to the dealer.. the same one. The car is under warranty. If the transmission is shot, they will replace it. If the issue has worsened, that's a good thing for you, it makes it much easier for the techs to experience themselves. Go back to the last dealer and see what they will do for you this time around.
saikumar (12-08-20)
Old 12-07-20, 12:29 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

This was linked on one of the other posts - it may help explain why there is a difference in fluid needed. Regardless - i would be very concerned they are not performing the process correctly.

saikumar (12-08-20)
Old 12-07-20, 12:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Here is a video on a GS-F, similar procedure to 4GS, for those who want to mess around with unnecessary service.

Old 12-07-20, 02:39 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Good advice Peasodos! I think you are now the official replacement for BC!
saikumar (12-08-20)
Old 12-08-20, 10:00 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It was a good & interesting video. The guy seemed to know what he is doing. My only gripe was he was complaining the fluid was not good simply based on color change which is an overly simplistic way of looking at it. The only way to know if the fluid is "shot" would really be to send it out for analysis to Blackstone or somewhere like that.
The whole "lifetime" thing I think is a bit of a stretch, but changing tranny fluid at 25k intervals is way excessive IMHO.
Im2bz2p345 (12-08-20)
Old 12-08-20, 11:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
It was a good & interesting video. The guy seemed to know what he is doing. My only gripe was he was complaining the fluid was not good simply based on color change which is an overly simplistic way of looking at it. The only way to know if the fluid is "shot" would really be to send it out for analysis to Blackstone or somewhere like that.
The whole "lifetime" thing I think is a bit of a stretch, but changing tranny fluid at 25k intervals is way excessive IMHO.
The guy doing the GS-F change is the same guy who jacked it up from his molding/side skirt and crushed one side all caught on video.

I agree about the color, trans fluid turns dark/brownish red when it gets hot/cooled down over time and circulates through the trans, it does not mean it is no good or barely doing its job anymore which some of the people changing seem to think is the tell tale sign, if it has metal particles in it then that is a problem or if it is pure black then there is a problem. Same with oil, it turns dark brown from heat, run through the engine, it is not going to come out the same color as it went in with some use, that does not mean it is no good, if it came out the same color as it went in after a few months of driving that is probably something you should worry about more.

Last edited by UDel; 12-08-20 at 11:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UDel:
Im2bz2p345 (12-08-20), jsch222 (12-16-20)
Old 12-08-20, 12:16 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Dude got a quick jack (lol)... I want one!

And yeah... I read all the time about folks who think a dark color means something about the quality of fluids... I just stopped responding, its a myth that so many are eager to believe, smh.

now, if your oil is of this consistency... you have a problem. (But I’m not yet convinced this is real)

Last edited by chinee; 12-08-20 at 12:20 PM.
Cwang (12-09-20)
Old 12-08-20, 12:33 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The guy doing the GS-F change is the same guy who jacked it up from his molding/side skirt and crushed one side all caught on video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfB7YWZ5j6E
I didn't know about that jacking mishap....... OUCH! It hurt just watching that.
Old 12-08-20, 07:16 PM
saikumar
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Update 12/8

Took the vehicle back to the dealership. Had the head technician with me on a test drive. I was able to successfully replicate what was happening with the vehicle.
They started a case with Lexus corporate regarding the issue. Today, they sent all the videos and snapshots of the necessary material. I guess I will be knowing many more details on Friday the 11th.
Will keep you guys updated.
Thank you all for all the replies and useful information!! Can't appreciate it enough.

PS-Little nervous about the warranty work. I heard dealerships like to push the blame on to the customers for no obvious reason to get money so they/Lexus won't have to pay for the repair. I hope that doesn't happy with me

Last edited by saikumar; 12-08-20 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
Im2bz2p345 (12-09-20)
Old 12-09-20, 02:24 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

I heard dealerships like to push the blame on to the customers for no obvious reason to get money so they/Lexus won't have to pay for the repair. I hope that doesn't happy with me
You didn't buy a VW with a DSG so you'll be fine. This is a very uncommon fault which cannot be blamed on you, unless you've published videos of track days and burnouts lol. Unless you're trying to ruin it you can't really even thrash an automatic - the transmission computers generally won't allow it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cwang:
Im2bz2p345 (12-09-20), saikumar (12-10-20)
Old 12-09-20, 08:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Update 12/8

Took the vehicle back to the dealership. Had the head technician with me on a test drive. I was able to successfully replicate what was happening with the vehicle.
They started a case with Lexus corporate regarding the issue. Today, they sent all the videos and snapshots of the necessary material. I guess I will be knowing many more details on Friday the 11th.
Will keep you guys updated.
Thank you all for all the replies and useful information!! Can't appreciate it enough.

PS-Little nervous about the warranty work. I heard dealerships like to push the blame on to the customers for no obvious reason to get money so they/Lexus won't have to pay for the repair. I hope that doesn't happy with me
They will most likely try. Don't back down, document everything, have the dates and everything ready to counter them with, tell them you brought it in as soon as you noticed issues, no way it can be my fault.
saikumar (12-10-20)
Old 12-11-20, 05:01 PM
saikumar
Rookie

Update 12/11

Just received a call from the service advisor, told me that the Lexus corporate engineers believe that there might be coolant mixed with the transmission fluid and wanted the dealership to send a sample of the fluid to test for two specific chemicals. SA didn't have the name of those chemicals on top of his head. Would take another whole week to get the results back and probably then take a decision on what to be done with the vehicle.

Did anything of this nature happen to anyone? Coolant mixed with tranny fluid? The only possibility of this happening could be in the radiator where the tranny lines compartment was damaged somehow enabling coolant mixing with the fluid. Any ideas on other areas where this scenario could take place?

Also, I check all the fluid levels in the engine compartment every week, haven't even seen anything abnormal with coolant. No loss of coolant was observed either. Everything was always in check.

Last edited by saikumar; 12-11-20 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added more information
Im2bz2p345 (12-11-20)
Old 12-15-20, 04:45 PM
saikumar
Rookie

Update 12/15

Lexus acknowledges the transmission issue and is going to replace the transmission and trans cooler under warranty.
Is any break-in necessary? If so, please advice
Also, How would the resale value of the vehicle effect knowing its trans was replaced at relatively low miles?
Old 12-15-20, 06:12 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Update 12/15

Lexus acknowledges the transmission issue and is going to replace the transmission and trans cooler under warranty.
Is any break-in necessary? If so, please advice
Also, How would the resale value of the vehicle effect knowing its trans was replaced at relatively low miles?

Since it’s a CPO it should have an unlimited mile warranty until 2022 sometime. The dealer can sell you an additional 5 years of unlimited warranty for around 2,000.

if it were me I would force them to pay for that extension. That is transferable and would alleviate you or a new owners concern.

Quick Reply: Questionable service experience, Utah