Questionable service experience, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 10:22 AM
saikumar
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Questionable service experience, Utah

Hi all,

Thank you for each and every one on the forum helping out our fellow GS owners!

I'm not sure of a correct title for the thread but I'll let you guys decide after reading this.

I own a 2016 GS 350 F sport RWD with 66500 miles. Fantastic car, absolutely fun. I would consider myself more of a precision driver than a aggressive one. I've purchased the vehicle as a CPO in January 2020 with 45,000 miles. Since couple months, I've been having transmission issue especially during cold start or after the car sitting for 7hrs, when changing from 2 to 3gear and 3 to 4gear, it almost feel like it's slipping.

By slipping I mean, with constant throttle from start when changing to respective gears, the shift point changes and rpms rise and a gentle push back into seat happens.
Once warmed up, I'm not having slipping issue but when downshifting form 4 to 3 and 3 to 2 a gentle push back into the seat.

As vehicles is under warranty, I was going to let nearby dealership take a look at it. I explained to one of the SA my issue and he right away told me to take to a tyranny shop instead of them as they straight away without diagnosing the issue would tell me to replace the whole tranny. Later I reveled to the guy that the vehicle is under warranty which then he told me to bring the vehicle in.
Does that mean when going to these dealerships, they're gonna rip you off without warranty?

Added, when asked for the loaner vehicle, same SA told me he cannot lend me one without diagnosing the car. So does that mean, I drop the car wait to diagnose and if found issue then go get a loaner? Is that even fair? Going to such a inconvenience when you have to drive an hour and you live alone with no one to help.

Please advise on the transmission issue I've been facing and apologize for being a novice if this is how things with dealerships work in the USA as I'm not from around.
Old 11-30-20, 04:11 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

My advise would be to take it to another dealership, or at least speak to a different advisor. Your car, even without the CPO warranty, should be still under powertrain warranty (6yr/70K). The fact that he blown you off on the first call means he doesn't want to deal with it. I wouldn't work with that guy at all.

Most if not all dealerships will rip you off, with or without warranty whether on maintenance or repairs. So please prepared to learn and play their games. There is always a shop that specified in Lexus/Toyota.

The loaner policy varies by dealership. Some are more lenient than other. Since Covid happening, I've seen them having stricter policy. But what he told you about loaner is not totally out of line. But I'd make an appointment with a different advisor and specially ask for a loaner. It's because you'll be more likely to leave the car overnight for diagnostic.

As for the transmission itself, I don't have a GS per se but when cold, it can behave like that. The shift points tend to have higher rpm to help warm up the powertrain faster to the operating temperature. Something like that along the line. You can request to drive a similar GS at cold start and see if it behaves the same.
Old 11-30-20, 04:48 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by saikumar

By slipping I mean, with constant throttle from start when changing to respective gears, the shift point changes and rpms rise and a gentle push back into seat happens.
You may be describing flaring. you really need to drive another one to know whether yours is actually misbehaving or whether you have high expectations
1As vehicles is under warranty, I was going to let nearby dealership take a look at it.
factory warranty or extended?
I explained to one of the SA my issue and he right away told me to take to a tyranny shop instead of them as they straight away without diagnosing the issue would tell me to replace the whole tranny.... they're gonna rip you off without warranty?
Yes, and yes. Lexus employ professional parts swappers, not mechanics. if the dealership master clipboard doesn't have a step by step guide on how to repair the box then they won't do it, they typically just replace the whole thing.
Old 11-30-20, 05:36 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

It does hold gears longer to facilitate quicker engine warm up. I see you are in Utah, is happening now that is colder outside? Did it behave the same way last winter or is it different ? Is the snow button on? There hasn't been any problems with either the 6 or 8 speed in the 4GS, of course that doesn't mean you don't.
Old 11-30-20, 06:00 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

This seems like one of those issues where it might be easy for the SA/tech to regard as "operating normally", it sounds like something you might have to demonstrate to the tech yourself.
Old 11-30-20, 06:58 PM
saikumar
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeller
It does hold gears longer to facilitate quicker engine warm up. I see you are in Utah, is happening now that is colder outside? Did it behave the same way last winter or is it different ? Is the snow button on? There hasn't been any problems with either the 6 or 8 speed in the 4GS, of course that doesn't mean you don't.
I agree about holding the gears longer but it wasn't rhythmic. 2 and 3rd gears just don't go with the flow as others. Have had this issue since like 7months, thought usual for 4GS but it was getting more prominent.
Old 11-30-20, 07:03 PM
saikumar
Rookie

Originally Posted by chinee
This seems like one of those issues where it might be easy for the SA/tech to regard as "operating normally", it sounds like something you might have to demonstrate to the tech yourself.
Can't agree more with you, I was intending to do that tomorrow morning. Left the vehicle at the dealership so I can have the technician with me early in the morning.
Will keep you updated.
Old 11-30-20, 07:32 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Maybe previous owner messed with the transmission fluid and didn’t get the level correct.
Old 12-06-20, 06:21 AM
saikumar
Rookie

The vehicle previously was a personal lease. Not sure about previous owner changing the fluid.

Update as of 6/12, dealership told me there was 2 quarts of fluid less in the transmission (which I don't believe at all).
Couple days after, the problem got much worse, initially, I was feeling the slippage during cold start now I could feel it after completely up to temperature.

I don't know how to proceed with this situation. I cannot go back to any of the lexus dealerships in Utah. They're just ruining the vehicle completely when giving it back to me.

Please suggest!
Old 12-06-20, 06:37 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

The vehicle previously was a personal lease. Not sure about previous owner changing the fluid.

Update as of 6/12, dealership told me there was 2 quarts of fluid less in the transmission (which I don't believe at all).
Couple days after, the problem got much worse, initially, I was feeling the slippage during cold start now I could feel it after completely up to temperature.
This is what happens when inexperienced person thinks they know better than Lexus and decides to change their own transmission fluid. If they get the level wrong it will cause damage to the transmission.

Did the dealership add transmission fluid to bring it back to the correct level?
Old 12-06-20, 06:41 AM
saikumar
Rookie

Angry

Originally Posted by peasodos
This is what happens when inexperienced person thinks they know better than Lexus and decides to change their own transmission fluid. If they get the level wrong it will cause damage to the transmission.

Did the dealership add transmission fluid to bring it back to the correct level?
It's not once. The first time I took the vehicle to the dealership, they suggested that the fluid was 0.5 quarts low and filled it up to the level.
I took it back the second time, they told me it's 2quarts low. That doesn't make any sense.

How can they correct it the first time and second time as well?
Old 12-06-20, 06:55 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

It's not once. The first time I took the vehicle to the dealership, they suggested that the fluid was 0.5 quarts low and filled it up to the level.
I took it back the second time, they told me it's 2quarts low. That doesn't make any sense.

I would contact Lexus corporate. There is something seriously wrong with the service department if that’s what they said/did.
Old 12-06-20, 07:01 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Idk getting the level correct can be tricky. Have to add more fluid than needed, get fluid to a certain operating temperature, then open overflow plug, let excess fall out until it stops, then close plug and then it’s at the correct level.

Did they find any leaks? If someone removed the transmission pan and didn’t tighten it up properly you could have a slow transmission leak.
Old 12-06-20, 07:07 AM
saikumar
Rookie

Originally Posted by peasodos
Idk getting the level correct can be tricky. Have to add more fluid than needed, get fluid to a certain operating temperature, then open overflow plug, let excess fall out until it stops, then close plug and then it’s at the correct level.

Did they find any leaks? If someone removed the transmission pan and didn’t tighten it up properly you could have a slow transmission leak.
No leaks what's so ever. I was expecting the technicians to well versed and aware of the procedure. But what surprised me was they had the vehicle for 4 days and it was on the last day they found fluid level low? I thought checking the level be the first one you do.
Old 12-06-20, 07:20 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

No leaks what's so ever. I was expecting the technicians to well versed and aware of the procedure. But what surprised me was they had the vehicle for 4 days and it was on the last day they found fluid level low? I thought checking the level be the first one you do.
There is no dip stick or any way of checking the transmission fluid level on the GS. The only way is to add fluid, then open the overflow at a certain temperature, to bring it to the correct level. The number they gave you for how much fluid the transmission needed should be what they added minus what came out the overflow. Dealer techs may have been scratching their head for 4 days trying to diagnose it because there is no record of the transmission ever being serviced. I bet previous owner tried to drain/fill it themselves. Any damage that happened to the transmission when the level was incorrect, could be permanent at this point. The dealer who CPO and sold you this car should be liable for any damages. I have always thought CPO is BS and not worth the extra money, just get a good inspection from an independent mechanic or have someone who knows come checkout the car at the dealership.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-06-20 at 07:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Im2bz2p345 (12-06-20), saikumar (12-08-20)

Quick Reply: Questionable service experience, Utah