GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Over responsive loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 03:21 PM
Coolj5
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Over responsive loose steering

Hello everyone, I tried to search this topic and couldn’t find anything, so maybe someone might have some information or possibly a solution. My wife has a 2013 GS350 f sport and I have a 2014 GS350 f sport... my steering is tight and responsive and feels good/normal... my wife’s GS350 is very loose feeling, like it’s way too easy to turn but very responsive, it’s not tight like my gs350... could the front bushings be wore out? The tires are new, the front end is all tight but just super easy to steer, is there a way to make the steering more tight? My steering feels like a sports car and hers feels like and old school Cadillac with power steering lol!

Last edited by Coolj5; 12-14-20 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 12-15-20, 07:11 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolj5
Hello everyone, I tried to search this topic and couldn’t find anything, so maybe someone might have some information or possibly a solution. My wife has a 2013 GS350 f sport and I have a 2014 GS350 f sport... my steering is tight and responsive and feels good/normal... my wife’s GS350 is very loose feeling, like it’s way too easy to turn but very responsive, it’s not tight like my gs350... could the front bushings be wore out? The tires are new, the front end is all tight but just super easy to steer, is there a way to make the steering more tight? My steering feels like a sports car and hers feels like and old school Cadillac with power steering lol!
Not bushings. What mode does she have her car set to? If it is ECO or Normal and not Sport, it is probably due to that. It will be easier to turn and less road feel, especially when compared to your F Sport. Try putting it in Sport (or Sport+ if you have it) and see if it makes any difference.

Also, the ease with which it turns should firm up at road speeds. They have a speed-sensitive assist so that the road feel improves at speed but is heavily assisted while doing slow-speed parking lot maneuvers.
The following 3 users liked this post by Knucklebus:
AJLex19 (12-15-20), Coolj5 (12-16-20), signdetres (12-15-20)
Old 12-15-20, 09:19 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

In addition to what @Knucklebus has said, these cars learn the way you drive and adapt accordingly. Since you're in Texas, I'm assuming both of your GS' are RWD, in which case they also have Variable Gear Ratio Steering, which means they can adjust the steering speed/response in addition to how heavy or how light it feels. Also, is it possible one of the cars has the rear-wheel steering option and the other doesn't?

I'd bet you're noticing a difference in learned driving styles. If you drive more aggressively and she tends to drive more calmly and conservatively, I'd bet this is what you're noticing. You can always try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for about 10 minutes or so. This will reset the adaptations and allow it to start re-learning from a more blank slate/factory fresh condition.
The following 2 users liked this post by signdetres:
AJLex19 (12-15-20), Coolj5 (12-16-20)
Old 12-16-20, 07:36 AM
Coolj5
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much, I will try the things you said... thank you

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Not bushings. What mode does she have her car set to? If it is ECO or Normal and not Sport, it is probably due to that. It will be easier to turn and less road feel, especially when compared to your F Sport. Try putting it in Sport (or Sport+ if you have it) and see if it makes any difference.

Also, the ease with which it turns should firm up at road speeds. They have a speed-sensitive assist so that the road feel improves at speed but is heavily assisted while doing slow-speed parking lot maneuvers.
Old 12-16-20, 07:38 AM
Coolj5
Driver School Candidate

Yes they are both rwd and I will try the re-learn battery disconnect, thank you!

Originally Posted by signdetres
In addition to what @Knucklebus has said, these cars learn the way you drive and adapt accordingly. Since you're in Texas, I'm assuming both of your GS' are RWD, in which case they also have Variable Gear Ratio Steering, which means they can adjust the steering speed/response in addition to how heavy or how light it feels. Also, is it possible one of the cars has the rear-wheel steering option and the other doesn't?

I'd bet you're noticing a difference in learned driving styles. If you drive more aggressively and she tends to drive more calmly and conservatively, I'd bet this is what you're noticing. You can always try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for about 10 minutes or so. This will reset the adaptations and allow it to start re-learning from a more blank slate/factory fresh condition.
Old 12-17-20, 09:03 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Check back in with us and let us know if this worked for you
Old 12-17-20, 09:59 AM
Coolj5
Driver School Candidate

She’s been driving in sport mode and said it feels more stiff, that it’s better, but I’m also going to switch our front wheels and see of my tires on her car make a difference, maybe it’s her tires....maybe radial pull?

Originally Posted by repugnante
Check back in with us and let us know if this worked for you