GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2021 ES350 FSPORT Vs 2019 GS350 FSPORT - I own Both!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 01:09 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Well the ES is mainly for my dad and he drives under the speed limit so the ES is perfectly fine for that.

On another note, I just ripped around in my GS just now in Sport + and going around on ramps at 85 mph. This is thing is nuts! Didn't remember my 2014 being this crazy. What did they do to this thing?! lol
My wife loves the ES ride. I like the GS and found it fun to put it in Sport and Sport + on occasions for a more fun ride. I don't normal drive above the speed limits much because those tickets are expensive around my area.
Old 12-21-20, 01:51 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Well the ES is mainly for my dad and he drives under the speed limit so the ES is perfectly fine for that.

On another note, I just ripped around in my GS just now in Sport + and going around on ramps at 85 mph. This is thing is nuts! Didn't remember my 2014 being this crazy. What did they do to this thing?! lol
What's the build date on your '19 ? Maybe yours has those updated rear sway bars being discussed in one of the other treads

Originally Posted by websurfer
My wife loves the ES ride. I like the GS and found it fun to put it in Sport and Sport + on occasions for a more fun ride. I don't normal drive above the speed limits much because those tickets are expensive around my area.
I think it was signdetres that mentioned using the custom mode and just changing the suspension but leaving the engine and climate on normal. I've been doing that off and on, the only complaint I have is that I can't figure out exactly what resets the custom back to all normal - I'm thinking it's if you do switch to any other mode when you go back to normal your customizations have to be set up again. Which tells me the dealer played with my selector when they had it or maybe disconnected the battery?....hmmmm..
Old 12-21-20, 02:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I'm not quite sure I follow your question about the customized mode, LexusGSboy.

I set up my custom mode to have the Sport suspension setting but leave everything else normal. I set it up once and never have to change it again.
Old 12-21-20, 03:42 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yeah same with my Custom mode, just sport suspension and normal everything else.
Old 12-21-20, 04:09 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm not quite sure I follow your question about the customized mode, LexusGSboy.

I set up my custom mode to have the Sport suspension setting but leave everything else normal. I set it up once and never have to change it again.
When I set mine that way I've gone back in to find everything reset to "Nomal"

My initial assumption before setting it was you'd customize it and it would stay. I set it, drove that way for a while. Week or two later I went back in and everything was reset to Normal. I reset the chassis to Sport, checked it a few days later - it was still sport so I assumed I either didn't set it right or thought that maybe (I couldn't remember) I had put it in Sport + or Eco or something and that by doing that, when I set it back to normal everything went back to normal. I never actually did any testing.

It had been in that setting (as far as I knew) and I just wasn't changing the modes thinking that it would wipe it out. The car went in for service and I was looking at something else so I sent in to look at the setting and again, everything was reset to Normal. I assumed it was either that the battery was disconnected for the service and it went away or the tech have changed the mode with the dial and wiped it out.

I'll have to play with it and see if I can figure out what makes the car go into a different mode. I only use one key fob so I don't think its that. I just assumed the custom settings didn't really "stick" permanently.

Old 12-21-20, 04:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Interesting. I have mine set as I want it, and routinely flip through all of the modes but haven't ever had it erase my settings.
Old 12-21-20, 05:57 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Interesting. I have mine set as I want it, and routinely flip through all of the modes but haven't ever had it erase my settings.
Maybe that's a feature on the new models.... I have a bag holder in my trunk and a cover on my negative battery terminal....you get a car that remembers it's custom settings.... I'll have to check it out and see if I can figure out what's up.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 12-21-20 at 11:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (12-22-20)
Old 12-21-20, 10:25 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

So of course tonight when I tried to replicate it it wouldn't do it. Checked the setting when I first got in the car - Engine>Normal, Chassis>Sport, Climate>Normal. Put it in Sport + and did a run to the store. Parked, turned the car off.

Got back in and started the car. Car no longer in Sport + (this is normal right?) Checked the setting and Engine>Normal, Chassis>Sport, Climte>Normal. Pushes the **** and screen said "Customize" (or something similar).

All I know at this point is that on two occasions I thought everything was customized but when I went in and checked the setting everything was set back to normal. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can figure out what's going on. At this point I'm going to assume it's somehow user error.

Thanks for confirming normal behavior for me!
Old 12-21-20, 10:54 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
So of course tonight when I tried to replicate it it wouldn't do it. Checked the setting when I first got in the car - Engine>Normal, Chassis>Sport, Climate>Normal. Put it in Sport + and did a run to the store. Parked, turned the car off.

Got back in and started the car. Car no longer in Sport + (this is normal right?) Checked the setting and Engine>Normal, Chassis>Sport, Climte>Normal. Pushes the **** and screen said "Customize" (or something similar).

All I know at this point is that on two occasions I thought everything was customized but when I went in and checked the setting everything was set back to normal. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can figure out what's going on. At this point I'm going to assume it's somehow user error.

Thanks for confirming normal behavior for me!
That’s happened to me a couple times. No rhyme or reason, just every once in a while those customized settings would reset themselves. It remembered them majority of the time though lol