GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What makes the GS 10,000$ more expensive than the IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-20, 05:03 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

The biggest difference as many others have mentioned is size. The ES is also a big car for around the same price as the IS. The ES is front wheel drive and will feel different when driving it. The GS is much more refinement in the quality of materials and feel and standard options in comparison to both the ES and IS. Considering these are all models from Lexus it's more or less you get what you pay for. You pay more you get more (assuming other factors the same l like year and mileage etc.). It is basically like the BMW 3 series or 5 series or the Audi A4 or the A6. When going from a GS to a IS you do feel like the IS is sportier. It is just a smaller car.
Old 12-22-20, 08:22 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

It looks like they make S+ optional on the 2021 IS350 FSport, just like my ES. Booo!

It's a $4K option on the IS but it seems like u get other stuff too.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 12-22-20 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-22-20, 10:04 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO

I'll hear no more complaining about the IS being too small, if I bought one it'd cost me the equivalent of 65K USD haha. Geez cars are cheap in the USA.
Old 12-22-20, 11:37 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

A new fully loaded 2021 IS would be about $55-56K, that's GS territory right there.
Old 12-23-20, 04:58 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
A new fully loaded 2021 IS would be about $55-56K, that's GS territory right there.
More than i just paid for my brand new f-sport.
Old 12-23-20, 07:08 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Those 2021 IS models do look quite attractive. If only they had continued the GS with the same styling and an updated engine.
Old 12-23-20, 09:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I'm liking the new IS too. May need to drive a fully loaded one and see how it stacks up against my GS.
The following users liked this post:
Kam7001 (01-26-21)
Old 12-23-20, 10:07 AM
01raja
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gs>is

Size, turning radius, better quality build, bigger and better looking to many here. Spindle grille some have the AFS headlights. 12.3” screen! Newer radio is full 12.3” v 4th Gen split screen,
19” rear shade, dual front passenger door memories on LUX models. Lotsa happy GS owners. Trunk hanger on some years. New end of an era has carbon fiber! Multiple seat adjustments!

Last one Black Line edition

CF parts and HUD

Bolstered buttons

Carbon Fiber

More carbon fiber

Old school IS with Spindle Grille update
Old 12-23-20, 11:06 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

That old IS with new front end doesn't look right at all! lol Should've left it original.
Old 12-24-20, 11:12 AM
eddie420

Received 631 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by 01raja
Trunk hanger on some years.
Of course, that is right up there on the list of must-haves.
Im2bz2p345 (12-24-20)
Old 12-24-20, 11:13 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Of course, that is right up there on the list of must-haves.

I so missed the groceries bag hanger in my RLX 😄
Old 12-24-20, 11:29 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I so missed the groceries bag hanger in my RLX 😄
After having it, I can't imagine not having it. It's all the little touches like this that add up to make the car just more enjoyable over all. I appreciate all the thought they the designers put into everything - which is also probably why I get frustrated when something isn't quite right.

So - on that note - maybe there's something I'm missing but one of my frustrations is that if you have the automatic wipers on if you touch the stalk it disengages them. Where this seems to be an issue is first thing when starting the car - it seems like they don't figure out quickly enough that the windshield needs to be cleared. I've finally resorted to turning the dial for how sensitive they are either up or down which seems to make it activate without disengaging. It would be nice if you could do one quick pull or something that would activate them once but not turn off the automatic feature. I think this is mostly someone who lives in the PNW where wet weather is constant for over half the year.
Im2bz2p345 (12-24-20)
Old 01-12-21, 12:34 PM
DrTheTay
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is fun. The IS is definitely a hoot, especially in 350 trim, but at the end of the day, it’s a fling if you’re tall. My poor back couldn’t tolerate the seats in the IS, and whatever poor soul forced to sit behind me shared in the misery.

The GS is a good blend of performance and luxury, and enough size to carry 4 fully formed adults.
Kam7001 (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 02:15 PM
Kam7001
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Yeah, and the numbers seem arbitrary and meaningless. My general process has always been get the drivers seat where I want it and do the test drive. After the test drive, I get in the backseat and see how it feels - thinking that that will be the worst case scenario most of the time since most of my friends/family are my height or shorter.

That rear leg room was the key reason I looked at and test drove both the previous and current ES too. I wouldn't say the GS is spacious in terms of rear legroom but it's ok. I'm happy sacrificing a bit of rear leg room for a car I really enjoy driving. I could probably ride in the back of the GS and not be miserable and not worry about bumping the driver every time I moved. The other issue is rear headroom - the new ES seemed to have better rear legroom than the previous gen ES but the headroom is noticeably worse. I guess with the legroom you're supposed to slouch?

If you haven't done it already and the IS is still peaking your interest in some way, you might pop over to the IS forum and get their thoughts on the IS vs GS. They're the ones who will tell you all the things that suck about the GS
I totally should. Forgot that this is the GS section, so there may be some bias.
But I'm pretty much set on the GS. I like the look so much more and comfort is king. Sportiness is extra.
JDR76 (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 02:22 PM
Kam7001
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@Kam7001 Congrats on the new home! I had an '11 IS350 AWD and traded it for a '13 GS350 AWD. I paid almost exactly $10k more on the trade and it was worth every penny. I'm not taking anything away the IS - its a great small car and you probably won't find anything as reliable in the segment. I thought the only edge on the IS was it felt a touch lighter on its feet.

As other members have mentioned, the GS is a step-up in every way especially in terms of fit/finish. It almost drives like a smaller car. I felt the IS was too small after owning it for a year. I've had a few 3IS's (2014-2016) as loaner cars and still thought it was still too small for my liking.

I've always felt the GS excels because it has dual personalities - can be a calm, smooth, luxury cruiser but when you're ready, it can be a sporty, enthusiast car with exceptional handling characteristics. You should drive both and see which suits you best in terms of your priorities, budget and needs.

My previous 2IS:

My current GS:

AND...Just for fun, i found a pic of my GS430 from maybe 15years ago
Great review and comparison. I did drive both. My friend owns an is awd 350. Drove stiff but it was fun. Very small though. That's my biggest issues. Drove the GS as well. Drove insanely smooth. Not LS level, didn't feel like I was sitting on a 5000$ couch but drove smooth as ice. Didn't test it out on the highway but I got some good runs when no cops were around. I can easily say the GS is a better car.

Still looking to get one. Having issue with finance since I'm so young and don't have much credit history. My scores good tho. Looking to get a co signer with a credit union.

Also having some other issues with lack of ID lol (green card renewal)+ covid-19.

I promise to have the car before May. And I'll post for you guys.

Quick Reply: What makes the GS 10,000$ more expensive than the IS?