GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Gas saving stopping.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20 | 12:21 PM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by Lend0
If you're that sold on this brilliant technology, I'd highly recommend shutting your car off at every red light so you can mimic this feature that everyone raves about.
So not the same thing. Like night and day difference than just shutting down the engine. LOL
Old 12-21-20 | 12:25 PM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yeah how much MPG and $$$ are we saving with this feature anyway? Or is it more like "Hey, here's a new feature for the auto industry?" Like LED DRL when it first came out.
The savings vary based on driving conditions. 3 to 5% is about average. Is it a must have technology? Nope. In this market of cheap gas, the monetary savings is negligible.

I do think it is cool though and could help me get more than 12MPG. LOL
Old 12-21-20 | 12:25 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Previous owner of my RLX Sport Hybrid hated that he didn't have a button to defeat start/stop feature, he traded car in after just 7 months and 4100 miles of ownership (at least that's what the salesman told me. Not sure if I believe him). He took at big *** depreciation hit. Bad for him, good for me. I saved over $19K buying this car used. Looks and drives like a brand new car. Start/Stop is seamless in the RLX. You can't even feel it, it's very good.
Old 12-21-20 | 12:31 PM
praetor
Racer

Yeah how much MPG and $$$ are we saving with this feature anyway? Or is it more like "Hey, here's a new feature for the auto industry?" Like LED DRL when it first came out.
The savings vary based on driving conditions. 3 to 5% is about average. Is it a must have technology? Nope. In this market of cheap gas, the monetary savings is negligible.

Old 12-21-20 | 12:50 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by praetor

I'll just drive to the dealer and... well u know the rest.
The following users liked this post:
praetor (12-21-20)
Old 12-21-20 | 01:00 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

yup, nobody uses this feature on the family's BMW x1 - scared the crap out of me when I first experienced it. Been off since then - nobody likes it lol
Old 12-21-20 | 01:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Previous owner of my RLX Sport Hybrid hated that he didn't have a button to defeat start/stop feature, he traded car in after just 7 months and 4100 miles of ownership (at least that's what the salesman told me. Not sure if I believe him). He took at big *** depreciation hit. Bad for him, good for me. I saved over $19K buying this car used. Looks and drives like a brand new car. Start/Stop is seamless in the RLX. You can't even feel it, it's very good.
I'm not sure how it works on the Acura hybrids, but with the Toyota hybrids I don't really consider it a normal start/stop system because you don't have to wait for the engine to fire back up to get going. The electric motors buy you some time. It's completely seamless and unnoticeable in my hybrid Highlander. For the non-hybrid vehicles I've driven with it, there was always a pause when getting going again and often times much more of a shudder.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
Im2bz2p345 (12-21-20), praetor (12-21-20)
Old 12-21-20 | 04:32 PM
praetor
Racer

I'll just drive to the dealer and... well u know the rest.
I'm already 7+ years with my GS350. I'm at a point now that I plan to keep it at least another 3 years or until the value drops under $10K. IL started taxing tradeings $10K and over so screw them! I am not being taxed twice on the same car.
Old 12-21-20 | 05:17 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm not sure how it works on the Acura hybrids, but with the Toyota hybrids I don't really consider it a normal start/stop system because you don't have to wait for the engine to fire back up to get going. The electric motors buy you some time. It's completely seamless and unnoticeable in my hybrid Highlander. For the non-hybrid vehicles I've driven with it, there was always a pause when getting going again and often times much more of a shudder.
It works similiar way in the Acura RLX/MDX Sport Hybrid. First gear is provided by EV motor that drives the planetary gear set. ICE motor doesn't kick in until higher speed (I believe 45MPH+) or if I'm heavy on the pedal. I can drive completely in EV mode if I'm extremely light on the pedal (albeit only for a few minutes.) I've driven non Hybrid TLX, the start/stop shudders the car every time. That would drive me insane if it didn't come with button to turn off.
Im2bz2p345 (12-21-20)
Old 12-21-20 | 05:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdpdata
It works similiar way in the Acura RLX/MDX Sport Hybrid. First gear is provided by EV motor that drives the planetary gear set. ICE motor doesn't kick in until higher speed (I believe 45MPH+) or if I'm heavy on the pedal. I can drive completely in EV mode if I'm extremely light on the pedal (albeit only for a few minutes.) I've driven non Hybrid TLX, the start/stop shudders the car every time. That would drive me insane if it didn't come with button to turn off.
That's perfect!
Im2bz2p345 (12-21-20)
Old 12-21-20 | 10:29 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Just wanted to chime in to say that the Lexus GS450h also behaves similarly to how JDR explained with his Highlander and how jdpdata explained with his RLX/MDX. I absolutely hate the auto start-stop "feature" in every non-hybrid car that I've experienced it in - the first thing I'm always doing is trying to figure out how to disable it.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 12-25-20 at 11:21 AM.
JDR76 (12-22-20)
Old 12-21-20 | 11:04 PM
kietlander
Racer

wait, lets hear more about the f10 535i 6 speed.
Old 12-23-20 | 01:49 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

I don't think start stop really saves much gas at all. For some reason my 3rd gen GS gets better gas mileage than my 4th gen GS. But more importantly my other sports cars like my Corvette gets way better gas mileage and makes a ton more power. Sure it weighs a bit less but definitely feel like Lexus is slacking here.
Old 12-23-20 | 02:04 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Just wanted to chime in to say that the Lexus GS450h also behaves similarly to how JDR explained with his Highlander and how jdpdata explained with his RLX/MDX. I absolutely hate the auto start-stop "feature" in every car that I've experienced it in - the first thing I'm always doing is trying to figure out how to disable it.

~ Im2bz2p345
Actually I like it. When the car goes into all electric it’s very quiet. There is a lot of insulation so not much sound of the engine turning on/off. The quietness of the 450h is what I like. Also I can roll into a neighborhood or driveway in stealth/ev mode.
Old 12-23-20 | 02:46 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

The start/stop technology came about after CAFE requirements were so high that auto makers had exhausted all the usual methods of increasing MPG
The start stop option saved about 1MPG on average which is a net loss for most owners. Volvo had a feature in 2018 that would restart the engine just before a traffic light changed to green if the intersection had the equipment for that.On average the start/stop saves 1mpg.

Quick Reply: Gas saving stopping.....