GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Please help me identify a noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 10:37 AM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Please help me identify a noise

Ill attempt to describe this sound because i havent been abe to capture it on video as it happens intermittently. I can only hear this sound from inside of the car. The sound appears to be coming from the engine compartment but it sounds almost like an exhaust sound. I usually hear it after I park, and sometimes at a stop light. I hear it for about 5-7 seconds, and then the sound goes away. If you were at a stop light and there was a harley motorcycle next to you, that sound from the motorcycle exhaust it kind of what it sounds like in my car. Not nearly as loud as a motorcycle, but that's the best way to describe it. Could it be a fan issue?
Old 12-21-20, 01:02 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Hmm that's probably just the engine noise - like a sewing machine. If yours is pre refresh model - there's a cover you can buy for the fuel pump that will lower that sound

It could be also be the HVAC fan running if you have the heat on
Old 12-21-20, 01:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

What year is your GS and have you always heard it or is it new?

I know on the 2GR-FKS (2016 and on), the fuel injection system runs a self cleaning cycle and you can hear it when it comes on. I often hear it cycle when I'm at a drive thru or idling for a bit. It's not loud, but you can definitely hear it. I wonder if that's what you're hearing.
Old 12-21-20, 01:31 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Thanks for the responses. I have a 2014 Fsport with 102k on the door. The. noise hasnt always been there but I had my fuel pump replaced under the recall maybe 3,000 miles ago. Could this be a fuel pump issue?
Old 12-21-20, 02:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Okay, a 2014 has the 2GR-FSE and I don't think it has the cleaning cycle.

The fuel pump that was recalled is in the gas tank, so I doubt that's it.
Old 12-21-20, 02:46 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Thanks JD. I forgot to add that the whenever I hear the sound, if i tap the gas pedal, the noise goes away. The car doesnt shake, I dont feel anything in the steering wheel, it's just a loud vibrating sound - almost as if someone poked a hole in the muffler, but it sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment. But I only hear it in the cabin.
Old 12-21-20, 06:35 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 263 Posts

Over time the exhaust heat shields get rusty and loose. It might be worth checking under the car.
The following users liked this post:
NJLEXES (12-23-20)
Old 12-23-20, 10:03 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
Over time the exhaust heat shields get rusty and loose. It might be worth checking under the car.
If the sound is "metallic" and rattling in nature, you are most likely correct. My daughter's 2011 Ct200h had several of the heat shields rot right at the bolt points.....definitely noisy!
They make those things way too flimsy.....
Old 12-23-20, 05:28 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 263 Posts

My exhaust shield is hanging on one side, I can see it rusted out and nothing is holding it. I'm taking the car to my mechanic for an oil change after New Years. He'll have a better look when the car is on the hoist.
Old 12-24-20, 02:15 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Thanks again for the responses. I dont think it's the heat shield as the sound isnt a rattle, it's more of an exhaust that goes away as soon as I hit the gas - also, the sound only happens intermittently. I just cant figure this out since, not only does the sound surface intermittently, but it also goes away as soon as i hit the gas. So the car is smooth when im driving, it's when i park, or stop at a stop light that the sound sometimes happens. I have an appointment to have an oil change, coolant flush, and spark plugs changed on the 5thof January so ill ask the mechanic to look into this mystery.
Old 01-14-21, 05:21 AM
Barkley45
Driver

Following up on this; My car behaved while at the mechanic (this always happens) but he checked the car well and could hear a faint sound that he thinks may be a crack in the manifold. He's not sure, but he said that if it truly is the manifold exhaust, which is connected to the catalytic converter, it will be an expensive repair, about $2300. The mechanic told me that it isnt something that i should worry about and if it is the manifold exhaust, eventually the loud sound would be more permanent and not intermittent. I also had the exhaust checked by Toyota befor taking it to my mechanic and they couldnt fiind anything. Lastly, the mechanic said that this was an issue with the SUV in the past (i think he said LX). Anyone else ever experience this issue?
Old 01-14-21, 09:13 AM
robd88
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Open the hood with the engine running and you would be able to hear an exhaust leak from a cracked manifold. Pfft...pfft...pfft...
Stand on either side to see if it is louder on passenger side or driver side.
Old 01-14-21, 02:59 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Thanks rob - I recorderd the engine running with the hood open, I didnt hear the sound, and usually i can only here it from the cabin, not outside of the car.
Old 05-09-22, 08:40 AM
6speediroc
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Any follow-up on this one? My car does the EXACT same thing and I can't figure it out.
May be the guts of the muffler vibrating?

Originally Posted by Barkley45
the sound isnt a rattle, it's more of an exhaust that goes away as soon as I hit the gas - also, the sound only happens intermittently. I just cant figure this out since, not only does the sound surface intermittently, but it also goes away as soon as i hit the gas. So the car is smooth when im driving, it's when i park, or stop at a stop light that the sound sometimes happens..
Old 05-09-22, 12:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Noise sounds like the Vacuum pump problem.

Quick Reply: Please help me identify a noise