GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Safe to shave edge of caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 04:19 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Default Safe to shave edge of caliper?

So I have 2020 ES lux wheels on my 2013 GS. On the front I have H&R 5mm spacers with extended studs because the inside of the rim touches the inside edge of the caliper. See pic below marked in red.

because of the spacer the wheel doesn’t sit on the hub, not enough sticking out. I have zero issues with the spacer but when you put the wheel on you have to be careful to get the shank of the nut in the hole in the wheel. Tire shop was not careful and cross threaded 3 studs. They replaced it but still was a hassle.

So do you guys think it’s safe to file down the caliper on the red line I marked in the pic below by a few mm? That way I can install the wheel without the spacer.

Then again it probably better to have the spacer so the wheels have ample clearance from the caliper. Whenever I get new tires or state inspection I just need to tell them about the front spacer and to hand thread the nuts all the way down first. You have to rock the wheel side to side when putting the nut to get the shank on the nut to line up with the hole in the rim.

I bought a cheap rotor and cut a cross section of it, post 19:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11003465

Last edited by peasodos; 02-28-21 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-31-20, 06:02 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

That's a whopper of a question, not sure I want to venture an answer, but it would be something to add to my knowledge-base. Logically, if it's solid metal, I think you should be fine. I would probably want to obtain an old caliper and cut the sucker in half to show how thick/thin the metal is at that area. This is the type of mod you don't want to have fail on you.

Good luck, I will certainly be following this thread...
The following users liked this post:
CAKETOWN (12-31-20)
Old 12-31-20, 06:13 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
That's a whopper of a question, not sure I want to venture an answer, but it would be something to add to my knowledge-base. Logically, if it's solid metal, I think you should be fine. I would probably want to obtain an old caliper and cut the sucker in half to show how thick/thin the metal is at that area. This is the type of mod you don't want to have fail on you.

Good luck, I will certainly be following this thread...
I'll find a cheap used/damaged front caliper, I'll cut it in half to see what we are dealing and post pics.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Chaos236 (01-05-21), chinee (12-31-20)
Old 12-31-20, 07:08 AM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Not sure I understand the cross threading of the studs? I think the problem lies in the tire shop, not the caliper. I wouldn't modify a braking component because one shop was incompetent. Whether the wheel was sitting on the hub or not, the nut should thread on and then impacted. It sounds like they just went straight to the impact.
Old 12-31-20, 07:47 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bumada
Not sure I understand the cross threading of the studs? I think the problem lies in the tire shop, not the caliper. I wouldn't modify a braking component because one shop was incompetent. Whether the wheel was sitting on the hub or not, the nut should thread on and then impacted. It sounds like they just went straight to the impact.
This is the second time it’s happened different shop. I have a diy stud removal thread I made first time this happened.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...irst-time.html

Old 12-31-20, 08:04 AM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe look at doing a 8mm or 10mm spacer that has the hub centric lip so the wheel can center itself. The 5mm takes away that lip on the hub.
Old 12-31-20, 08:13 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bumada
Maybe look at doing a 8mm or 10mm spacer that has the hub centric lip so the wheel can center itself. The 5mm takes away that lip on the hub.
I really don’t want to go more than 5 mm fitment is good as it is.

I do my own tire rotations with oils changes every 10k miles and never have this problem. Next time I go to a tire shop I’m going to make sure they know how to do their job and I’m going to bring my extra extended studs in case they mess us.
Old 12-31-20, 05:34 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
So I have 2020 ES lux wheels on my 2013 GS. On the front I have H&R 5mm spacers with extended studs because the inside of the rim touches the inside edge of the caliper. See pic below marked in red.

because of the spacer the wheel doesn’t sit on the hub, not enough sticking out. I have zero issues with the spacer but when you put the wheel on you have to be careful to get the shank of the nut in the hole in the wheel. Tire shop was not careful and cross threaded 3 studs. They replaced it but still was a hassle.

So do you guys think it’s safe to file down the caliper on the red line I marked in the pic below by a few mm? That way I can install the wheel without the spacer.

Then again it probably better to have the spacer so the wheels have ample clearance from the caliper. Whenever I get new tires or state inspection I just need to tell them about the front spacer and to hand thread the nuts all the way down first. You have to rock the wheel side to side when putting the nut to get the shank on the nut to line up with the hole in the rim.

What does the other side look like? Where are the pistons? If you go slow, I don't think you will take too much meat off.

I had a similar issue with one of my non-Lexus cars.

Mark it with magic marker then put the wheel on a few washers instead of the 5mm spacer. Then rotate it to find the interference. Trim it, remark and repeat. If you can get it to a smaller spacer, it should alleviate a lot of your trouble.
Old 01-03-21, 05:27 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

Yeah, it's safe. I shaved a chunk on my GSF calipers to fit onto the bracket.
Old 01-03-21, 05:44 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
Yeah, it's safe. I shaved a chunk on my GSF calipers to fit onto the bracket.
Can you mark a pic to show me what part you shaved?
Old 01-04-21, 11:54 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

ok decided not to shave my calipers.
Just replaced all the studs myself with the correct extended ones. The ones the tire shop put on were only oem length. I'm running H&R 5mm spacers with H&R extended studs.

I put the wheel on myself and there really is no way to screw it up if you hand thread on the nut. The idiot at the tire shop just hit it with the gun without starting it by hand. next time I go get tires i'm going to tell them clearly not to screw this up and I'm bringing extra H&R studs just in case.

Spacer is not on in the pics, just the new studs.

The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
chinee (01-04-21), LexusGSboy (01-04-21)
Old 01-04-21, 10:31 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

ok decided not to shave my calipers.
Just replaced all the studs myself with the correct extended ones. The ones the tire shop put on were only oem length. I'm running H&R 5mm spacers with H&R extended studs.

I put the wheel on myself and there really is no way to screw it up if you hand thread on the nut. The idiot at the tire shop just hit it with the gun without starting it by hand. next time I go get tires i'm going to tell them clearly not to screw this up and I'm bringing extra H&R studs just in case.

Spacer is not on in the pics, just the new studs.

if you want extra calipers at some point i still have a set sitting around. not sure im ever gonna get around to taking off my BBK to sell
Old 01-04-21, 10:44 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by baconRx
if you want extra calipers at some point i still have a set sitting around. not sure im ever gonna get around to taking off my BBK to sell
I might still consider getting a caliper to cut in half for anyone curious how thick it is in certain parts if the price is cheap. Mostly looking for a damaged junk yard caliper I can get for $50 or less. I have the hack saw ready for the job.
Old 01-05-21, 07:27 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

I might still consider getting a caliper to cut in half for anyone curious how thick it is in certain parts if the price is cheap. Mostly looking for a damaged junk yard caliper I can get for $50 or less. I have the hack saw ready for the job.
A nice metal band saw will make a pretty cut you can display on your desk as a paperweight.
Old 01-05-21, 09:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
A nice metal band saw will make a pretty cut you can display on your desk as a paperweight.
I don't have the room, need for suck technology lol. A fresh blade on a hack saw will do the job just take some time. I could sand the cut part to finish it off, then put it in my fiance' china cabinet.

Quick Reply: Safe to shave edge of caliper?