GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HP’s intake inquiry ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21 | 06:17 PM
boostinsc
Racer

How much is the takeda ...it looks like a good deal and comes with a heat shield, if possible link to where you bought it from thanks.
Old 01-07-21 | 05:57 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by boostinsc
How much is the takeda ...it looks like a good deal and comes with a heat shield, if possible link to where you bought it from thanks.
It's like $300 and change. bought it from ModInJapan
Old 01-07-21 | 07:07 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Yeah this is basically a do what makes you happy but don't confuse it with actual power gains thread. The afe dyno run was not back to back with a pretty huge ambient temperature difference between the two runs favoring the afe heavily. Definitely an extremely biased and, in my opinion, invalid test. An intake change is something that is so simple why not just run the two dyno runs back to back like 15 mins apart instead of waiting a whole week for the temperatures to drop to run again. I bet you they did run it back to back same day and saw literally 0 change and decided to wait for cooler temps to run again to get a result that they wanted to present.

Our cars and many modern cars already essentially come from the factory with a cold air intake. They draw the cool air from outside and have their own compartment separated from the engine bay compartment. Only way you are going to get more performance is if you can get more airflow either through a larger filter surface area (factory filter already pretty large) or being less restrictive and allowing more dust and air to flow through. But even then you aren't getting any more fuel into the combustion chamber because the ECU will control that and the air coming in isn't any colder so not any more dense.

Last edited by imjohnphan; 01-07-21 at 07:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CAKETOWN (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21 | 07:10 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Yeah this is basically a do what makes you happy but don't confuse it with actual power gains thread. The afe dyno run was not back to back with a pretty huge ambient temperature difference between the two runs favoring the afe heavily. Definitely an extremely biased and, in my opinion, invalid test. An intake change is something that is so simple why not just run the two dyno runs back to back like 15 mins apart instead of waiting a whole week for the temperatures to drop to run again. I bet you they did run it back to back same day and saw literally 0 change and decided to wait for cooler temps to run again to get a result that they wanted to present.
Agreed. Literally took me 30 minutes to swap the intakes.
Old 01-07-21 | 08:38 AM
aj2pointo
Driver

Originally Posted by imjohnphan

Our cars and many modern cars already essentially come from the factory with a cold air intake. They draw the cool air from outside and have their own compartment separated from the engine bay compartment. Only way you are going to get more performance is if you can get more airflow either through a larger filter surface area (factory filter already pretty large) or being less restrictive and allowing more dust and air to flow through. But even then you aren't getting any more fuel into the combustion chamber because the ECU will control that and the air coming in isn't any colder so not any more dense.
Yeah I totally agree everyone should just do what makes them happy. Personally as I’ve already said, I enjoy the noise so if the improved throttle response is just placebo that’s fine and I am still happy with the product. But I’m curious to hear what’s the problem with the dyno in the video then? Obviously a different car and different specific intake products, but it seems to be an independent guy testing his IS-F with different intakes/filters and back to back dyno runs.

I don’t think that these intakes are pulling colder air, in fact they may be pulling slightly warmer air due to being more open than stock. But what I think what they are doing is making a straighter smoother path for the air to get into the engine. Turbulence is a huge factor in fluid dynamics. That’s I think why a lot of people talk about throttle response. When you hit the peddle, the initial in rush of air will get inside the engine faster if the flow is less turbulent and/or less restricted.

Old 01-07-21 | 03:47 PM
boostinsc
Racer

If anyone can direct me to somewhere else I can buy these parts for a fair price kindly forward them or post because modinjapan doesn’t have in stock I am going to buy somewhere else...
Old 01-07-21 | 03:53 PM
eddie420

If anyone can direct me to somewhere else I can buy these parts for a fair price kindly forward them or post because modinjapan doesn’t have in stock I am going to buy somewhere else...
Josh from @Meraki Autoworks , do you have any Cold Air Intakes in stock? @boostinsc here is looking for one.
Old 01-07-21 | 05:57 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

What parts ? Got the part #?

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886