GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HP’s intake inquiry ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21 | 04:44 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Default HP’s intake inquiry ?

Does anyone have the HPS Full intake on their GS any noticeable difference worth noting in terms of sound and throttle response...am about to order it this week but I already have the intake pipe in wrinkle black just the pipe alone with an f sport blue filter...it’s not much difference IMO i can’t tell if it did any performance or just aesthetic purpose

other than modinjapan who else sells these ?

happy new year people look forward to more upgrades and contribute more to the forums.
Old 01-04-21 | 08:15 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

there are no aftermarket intakes that will give you anything but sound and aesthetics for these cars.
The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (01-05-21)
Old 01-04-21 | 09:54 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Adding the other parts won't be too much of a difference, we sell them as well.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-04-21 | 02:05 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

You aren't going to get much more performance out of the engine unless you go forced induction.
Knucklebus (01-05-21)
Old 01-05-21 | 07:35 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Performance equals efficiency. If Lexus could get more efficiency out of our cars easily, they would have. They already have cold air intake. If you want it to look cool, it might do that. It won't help power.
Old 01-05-21 | 07:49 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Performance equals efficiency. If Lexus could get more efficiency out of our cars easily, they would have. They already have cold air intake. If you want it to look cool, it might do that. It won't help power.
While what you say is generally true its not always the case. Many instances where the manufacturer has different tunes for different applications in different cars but use the same engine producing different amounts of HP. In the case of the GS though its a very very old engine that has refined to its limit over the years and you aren't going to get any extra performance out of it with some simple mods.
Im2bz2p345 (01-05-21)
Old 01-05-21 | 12:15 PM
aj2pointo
Driver

I've had a Takeda intake on my car for a couple months now and I absolutely notice a difference besides sound. Its fairly subtle, so whether or not its worth it is up to you, but as I said I absolutely notice *something*. I'd guess I'd describe it as throttle response too. Basically I feel its most noticeable under moderate/slightly spirited acceleration from say 0-30 mph. Under that situation, eco mode feels like normal used too, normal feels like sport used too, although I don't seem to notice as much difference in sport mode. It all most seems like the engine revs quicker from 1k to the 3-4krpm range. I dont know if that what actually happens, but that kind of what it feels like in my opinion. Then, of course there is the sound which is definitely noticeable from stock above 3k rpm. Its a good louder than stock at WOT, but the biggest difference imo is the tone. Its definitely deeper tone and sort of a v8 rumble quality to it. TBH at first the sound wasn't exactly what I expected at first and was a bit unsure of it, but now that I've gotten used to it, I really like it. Overall considering both the responsiveness and sound, it definitely changed the character and feel of the car slightly.
boostinsc (01-06-21)
Old 01-05-21 | 04:55 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
While what you say is generally true its not always the case. Many instances where the manufacturer has different tunes for different applications in different cars but use the same engine producing different amounts of HP. In the case of the GS though its a very very old engine that has refined to its limit over the years and you aren't going to get any extra performance out of it with some simple mods.
This engine, specifically, is "mature" and not "old" which means it is reliable, stable and long-lived.

Originally Posted by aj2pointo
I've had a Takeda intake on my car for a couple months now and I absolutely notice a difference besides sound. Its fairly subtle, so whether or not its worth it is up to you, but as I said I absolutely notice *something*. I'd guess I'd describe it as throttle response too. Basically I feel its most noticeable under moderate/slightly spirited acceleration from say 0-30 mph. Under that situation, eco mode feels like normal used too, normal feels like sport used too, although I don't seem to notice as much difference in sport mode. It all most seems like the engine revs quicker from 1k to the 3-4krpm range. I dont know if that what actually happens, but that kind of what it feels like in my opinion. Then, of course there is the sound which is definitely noticeable from stock above 3k rpm. Its a good louder than stock at WOT, but the biggest difference imo is the tone. Its definitely deeper tone and sort of a v8 rumble quality to it. TBH at first the sound wasn't exactly what I expected at first and was a bit unsure of it, but now that I've gotten used to it, I really like it. Overall considering both the responsiveness and sound, it definitely changed the character and feel of the car slightly.
I'm not saying it that way but you'll probably take offense at it. Without hard data, you are just expressing your opinion.

If you don't have before and after dyno pulls, your butt dyno is out of calibration. If a simple intake did anything performance-wise, I will bet dollars to donuts that Lexus/Toyota would have done it to get better mileage. The air intake is not the restriction. It would take hi-flow cats at a minimum to get more OUT of that motor before you can get more into it. Do you have a vacuum gauge? If it was showing near 0 at WOT then there is not a restriction in the intake.
Old 01-05-21 | 06:01 PM
aj2pointo
Driver

This engine, specifically, is "mature" and not "old" which means it is reliable, stable and long-lived.

I'm not saying it that way but you'll probably take offense at it. Without hard data, you are just expressing your opinion.

If you don't have before and after dyno pulls, your butt dyno is out of calibration. If a simple intake did anything performance-wise, I will bet dollars to donuts that Lexus/Toyota would have done it to get better mileage. The air intake is not the restriction. It would take hi-flow cats at a minimum to get more OUT of that motor before you can get more into it. Do you have a vacuum gauge? If it was showing near 0 at WOT then there is not a restriction in the intake.
Well I mean I clearly said multiple times it was my opinion, so yeah... I regards to the Takeda, there are many people’s qualitative observations of it and quantitative, although obviously from a biased source, dyno and airflow tests available from the manufacturer. But since you don’t own one, you have presented neither qualitative nor quantitative backing to your opinion. Which I mean is fine, but you are kind of the one presenting your opinion as fact. I just gave my personal impressions on something that I own.
boostinsc (01-06-21)
Old 01-05-21 | 07:39 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Well I mean I clearly said multiple times it was my opinion, so yeah... I regards to the Takeda, there are many people’s qualitative observations of it and quantitative, although obviously from a biased source, dyno and airflow tests available from the manufacturer. But since you don’t own one, you have presented neither qualitative nor quantitative backing to your opinion. Which I mean is fine, but you are kind of the one presenting your opinion as fact. I just gave my personal impressions on something that I own.
You don't understand the basics of the scientific method. You have a hypothesis but without data, there is nothing for me to refute. You are proof that marketing works. If you like the way it looks and sounds, fine. I like the way the GS looks despite a Kia providing the same basic transportation needs. I put a rear spoiler on mine because I like the way it looks but I know it does nothing for performance. The wing on my other GS does work but you have to be in excess of 100 MPH to get any downforce at all. I've been able to take advantage of that downforce probably 20 times in the last 40 years. The other times it is dead weight.
Old 01-06-21 | 08:04 AM
aj2pointo
Driver

You don't understand the basics of the scientific method. You have a hypothesis but without data, there is nothing for me to refute. You are proof that marketing works. If you like the way it looks and sounds, fine. I like the way the GS looks despite a Kia providing the same basic transportation needs. I put a rear spoiler on mine because I like the way it looks but I know it does nothing for performance. The wing on my other GS does work but you have to be in excess of 100 MPH to get any downforce at all. I've been able to take advantage of that downforce probably 20 times in the last 40 years. The other times it is dead weight.
First of all, qualitative observations are valid scientific data. But I bought my car to drive, I didn't buy it for its ability produce lab-measured numbers. I feel that it has improved my driving experience, so placebo or not, I am happy. I am not sure why it matters to you what others do with their cars, but even if it is placebo, who cares? Pretty much everyone that has bought it has liked it and the majority of people have qualitatively felt a difference in throttle/low-end response.

But since you insist on numbers, here is the manufactures dyno. Do I feel an extra 13 peak HP? I have no idea and I don't really care. TBH I wouldn't really care if peak HP actually went down because, placebo and inflated claims/lying manufactures or not, I like how my car feels with the intake. It is curious though how the increased area under the curve in the 1k- 3k rpm range seems to correlate quite well to exactly what many people claim to notice in terms of throttle/low-end responsiveness. If you want to replicate the test and prove the intake does nothing, go for it. I'd like to see it actually, a 3rd party test would be great! Regardless of the outcome, I'll still be keeping it on my car though.

Old 01-06-21 | 08:46 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

First of all, qualitative observations are valid scientific data. But I bought my car to drive, I didn't buy it for its ability produce lab-measured numbers. I feel that it has improved my driving experience, so placebo or not, I am happy. I am not sure why it matters to you what others do with their cars, but even if it is placebo, who cares? Pretty much everyone that has bought it has liked it and the majority of people have qualitatively felt a difference in throttle/low-end response.

But since you insist on numbers, here is the manufactures dyno. Do I feel an extra 13 peak HP? I have no idea and I don't really care. TBH I wouldn't really care if peak HP actually went down because, placebo and inflated claims/lying manufactures or not, I like how my car feels with the intake. It is curious though how the increased area under the curve in the 1k- 3k rpm range seems to correlate quite well to exactly what many people claim to notice in terms of throttle/low-end responsiveness. If you want to replicate the test and prove the intake does nothing, go for it. I'd like to see it actually, a 3rd party test would be great! Regardless of the outcome, I'll still be keeping it on my car though.

Those aren't back to back pulls and are a week apart. The temperature was 13° hotter at 94° in the afternoon for the first pull and they made their pull with the new intake in 80° morning air. That's a huge difference in temperature. Clearly, marketing is picking the numbers in their favor. Again, not an apples to apples comparison. The fact they are showing improvements below 3,000 RPM tells me they fudged the numbers greatly. There are no flow restrictions down low as the air/fuel stays the same in both plots. If anything, that intake doesn't show any improvement until 6,300 when the stock engine goes hyper-lean at the very end. Lean at that RPM also looks cooked because these things go pig-rich in the higher RPMs. That's how they keep a high-compression engine from detonating, cool it with fuel.

I'm no Lexus expert but I've been building engines since I was 13, from lawnmowers and motorcycles to cars and trucks. Engines are simple machines, air pumps. The electronics are what makes them complicated.

The REAL proof is dyno pulls with nearly identical conditions or at the drag strip. The engine I built in my Buick turned a best of 12.44 at 114 MPH in the quarter. That specs out to about 450 HP. Nothing outrageous but it idles smoothly and moves a 2-ton Buick better than our Lexus GS. I've since built another engine with aluminum heads and a better cam that still idles at 700 RPM. At a 30MPH roll, it will spin the tires in second gear. It should do high 11s quarters but I'm not racing much these days. I know HP and I know butt dynos are not accurate.

This is my last post on this subject since the "true believers" will never be convinced they have bought well-marketed snake oil. It looks nice and it is a cosmetic piece.
Old 01-06-21 | 09:08 AM
aj2pointo
Driver

Those aren't back to back pulls and are a week apart. The temperature was 13° hotter at 94° in the afternoon for the first pull and they made their pull with the new intake in 80° morning air. That's a huge difference in temperature. Clearly, marketing is picking the numbers in their favor. Again, not an apples to apples comparison. The fact they are showing improvements below 3,000 RPM tells me they fudged the numbers greatly. There are no flow restrictions down low as the air/fuel stays the same in both plots. If anything, that intake doesn't show any improvement until 6,300 when the stock engine goes hyper-lean at the very end. Lean at that RPM also looks cooked because these things go pig-rich in the higher RPMs. That's how they keep a high-compression engine from detonating, cool it with fuel.

I'm no Lexus expert but I've been building engines since I was 13, from lawnmowers and motorcycles to cars and trucks. Engines are simple machines, air pumps. The electronics are what makes them complicated.

The REAL proof is dyno pulls with nearly identical conditions or at the drag strip. The engine I built in my Buick turned a best of 12.44 at 114 MPH in the quarter. That specs out to about 450 HP. Nothing outrageous but it idles smoothly and moves a 2-ton Buick better than our Lexus GS. I've since built another engine with aluminum heads and a better cam that still idles at 700 RPM. At a 30MPH roll, it will spin the tires in second gear. It should do high 11s quarters but I'm not racing much these days. I know HP and I know butt dynos are not accurate.

This is my last post on this subject since the "true believers" will never be convinced they have bought well-marketed snake oil. It looks nice and it is a cosmetic piece.

Obviously, this is an IS-F, but this video involves all the brands mentioned in this thread: Lexus, AFE, and HPS. Independent guy just wanting to test his own car with back to back dyno results (look at the cords laying on the car and floor, you can see the car wasn't moved).

Old 01-06-21 | 10:31 AM
boostinsc
Racer

guys this is not physics class nor do we have to get scientifical about it and their is a dyno sheet hps has backing the gains of over 10hp with there setup ....everyone chill out its not a pissing match we are here to help each other gain not lose .. :cheer:, easy solution to this we make our own intake with a heat shield then sell it as a group buy :hmm:

Last edited by boostinsc; 01-06-21 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-06-21 | 05:35 PM
eddie420

I had an aFe Power Takeda Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake System simply because I liked the aggressive noise it made above a certain RPM when I went pedal to the metal. Did it give me more HP? Who knows. Did it make me giggle like a school girl? Yes, yes it did.

boostinsc (01-06-21)

Quick Reply: HP’s intake inquiry ?