GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY: How To Remove-Open-Disassemble Navigation/Radio Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 10:57 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts
Default DIY: How To Remove-Open-Disassemble Navigation/Radio Head Unit (Fan Replacement)

Hi all,

Inspired by the fix performed by @peasodos many years ago in this topic and an Israeli member on the Russian site drive2.ru (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4), I succeeded in fixing the center dashboard buzzing/whining/ticking noise on my 2013 GSh. I finally had time to take this project on over the holidays and here is some information that I want to share with our community that should make it a lot easier.

A few video examples of the noise that others shared:

I'm from Texas and only experienced the noise when the vehicle has been sitting outside in very cold (which is pretty rare here), but I still wanted to fix it because it's a flaw. For me, driving the hybrid, it was even more annoying as you don't hear much else - especially at low speeds.

This has NOTHING to do with the HVAC system or any DISC (CD/DVD) in the unit that I suspected initially. It's caused by the cheap fans that Pioneer used to build these radio units!

I've written this before in several threads, but before attempting this fix, PLEASE take a few minutes to call Lexus Corporate at 1-800-255-3987 or e-mail them a support ticket (https://www.lexus.com/contact). Make sure to reference Lexus Corporate Case# 1901112018 - I opened this case up with them in 2018 to make sure they document that this problem is NOT just isolated to one or two individuals, but in fact a problem with their supplied units. Lexus refuses to admit this is their fault or issue a TSB, but if we get enough people to document the problem, it may change things!

There are several topics on the 4GS subforum that discuss this exact noise and are facing this issue:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...p-holders.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...se-rattle.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l-whining.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...oise-help.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-sound.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...adio-area.html

THE FIX - PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT WILL LIKELY VOID ANY FACTORY WARRANTY IF LEXUS FINDS OUT

There are a total of 3 fans in the head unit. I only replaced 2 of them because the other one was at the bottom and wasn't making the infamous noise. If you replace the two fans on either side of the unit, you'll need one 50mm fan and one 40mm fan (I believe the one at the bottom of the unit is a 40mm fan as well if you want to replace that - check the Russian site links above).

Below are the fans that I ordered (I wanted as low of db fans as I could get that still pushed a decent amount of air).
Driver's Side 40mmX40mmX10mm Fan -- Scythe Mini Kaze 40mm Silent Case Fan (SY124010L): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LB0M8S/

Passenger's Side 50mmX50mmX10mm Fan -- Coolerguys 50mm (50x50x10) 12v Fan CG5010L12S: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V5K75B2/

^Note: The stock fans have tiny 2 pin connectors. Although these aftermarket fans also use a 2 pin connector, they are too large and won't fit into the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) for power. You'll need to splice the aftermarket fan wires and solder it with the existing connector from the stock fans. Also, you don't have to order these exact fans, but you'll want the size to be the same as there isn't much room to work with in the head unit.

Firstly, how to remove the navigation unit. While there are many videos on YouTube that explain these steps, I found this to be the best one as it describes things like how to remove the Start-Stop connector plug (starts at 1:37):

Once you have the navigation unit out, these are my own videos (which contain no audio) that I took to help me with the disassembly and reassembly (excuse my bald head/fat hands/fingers ):

Part 1:
Part 2:

Part 3:

TIPS/TRICKS/FAQ:
  • BEFORE taking the entire unit out complete, to isolate which fan it is, try sticking something through the vent holes to stop the fan when the car is ON (and you hear the fans running). This is will tell you which of the 3 fans need to be replaced!
  • Go slowly; take pictures/videos along the way. Without many instructions to go off of, it took me a few hours and having to do a few things over again.
  • Be extra careful with the hard drive ribbon cables during disassembly! Don't just yank things. Also, during reassembly, it's a bit of a pain to connect them back in properly -- but make sure the ribbon cables are pushed all the of the way in and the connection is solid before you clamp down on the little black clips, otherwise your infotainment system will not function correctly. I was getting blank screens and no audio with my AM/FM stations because the ribbon cables weren't properly connected the first time I put everything back together.
  • Keep an idea which way the fans are facing when you take them out. Remember, fans either push away air or suck air in - you don't want to mount them the wrong way!
  • The stock fans have silver screws with some blue Loctite (or something similar) on the ends - if you use any aftermarket fans, there won't be threads for these screws to go into it. Not a problem because you can just use small zip ties to mount them where they belong.
  • I have hard wood floors and wear rubber slippers around the house, but definitely wear gloves or ground yourself if you're doing this on carpet to avoid electrostatic discharge (ESD).
  • When you go to reconnect the entire head unit back into the car, there is only ONE way the cables will fit into the connectors, so don't worry -- you can't screw anything up by plugging in the cables the wrong way.
  • I'll try to add more tips here as I think of them or people ask questions.
Tagging folks from previous threads who had this issue & this DIY may be useful for: @rominl; @dreamG; @Sheik723; @MH6; @Opicasso; @BrandenF; @trbosmitty; @dougm213; @seanddd; @thallium; @tompass; @Biggu; @bnzlva; @acnup00tl; @Sevn86; @CAC1; @Patrick4GS; @GSRockstar; @GsLex02; @kyuGS;

I hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 07-11-21 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling errors
The following 13 users liked this post by Im2bz2p345:
2GR (07-19-21), Andruu (10-27-21), byungkuk (01-14-21), CAKETOWN (01-13-21), eddie420 (01-16-21), GsLex02 (01-15-21), GSRockstar (07-18-21), kyuGS (01-14-21), Neil64 (05-08-24), peasodos (01-13-21), peteharvey (01-14-21), thallium (02-15-21), tompass (01-17-21) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-21, 11:34 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Nice comprehensive diy guide, better than the one I made years ago. I think this issue was mainly a 2013 problem so nobody has any factory warranty on the car, but good disclaimer. Tip: I bagged and labeled screws/parts that I took off while also taking pictures.

That fan noise drove me nuts especially in the 450h at night. It was one of the first things I had to fix when I bought the car used. Interestingly the 2016 maybe the 2015(I forget) only has 2 fans, one on the bottom and one on the side. I guess it doesn't have a hard drive to cool off, just an sd card.

Back in the day when I did this fix my roomate thought I was crazy, but I was determined.
The following users liked this post:
CAKETOWN (01-13-21)
Old 01-13-21, 11:45 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for the write-up, i hope to never have this issue, but if it happens, i'll be able to remedy it.
Old 01-14-21, 08:13 PM
kyuGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great write up! Definitely bookmarked for future reference! I have this issue once in a while on my 13' GS, same exact problem. Only happens once in a while when the car is very cold though, not enough to bug me just yet...
Old 07-18-21, 09:44 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I do indeed still have this issue when its really cold and since i live in canada, i have to listen to this for months throughout the winter here. Its very annoying.