GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Crank No Start + Radiator Fans Running Constantly. Fuel Pressure Sensor? Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 12:34 PM
Saadq12
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Crank No Start + Radiator Fans Running Constantly. Fuel Pressure Sensor? Help Needed!

Hey all,

So my 2013 GS350 RWD would not start this weekend but it was driving fine all week. After doing some initial research and troubleshooting of my own I really think its the fuel pressure sensor shorting out the car but would love someone else's thought / opinions on this and if you faced a similar issue any further troubleshooting steps I can do?

Similar to this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fan-runs.html

Couple things to note:
1. When trying to start the car it just keeps cranking over but does not start (like its not getting any fuel)
2. The radiator fans are constantly running when the car is on ACC mode or when trying to crank the car
3. No CEL lights and cannot communicate to car via OBD scanner.
4. I did get a low oil pressure warning but double checked the oil level and for leaks around the engine/car but all is good. Disconnected the sensor and replugged it but same thing. ( I think the car is just giving this warning since its not starting properly and when it keeps constantly cranking its reducing oil pressure thus the warning? someone correct me if i'm wrong please)
5. I've checked for 5V reference signals from the driver side cam sensor and did not get any voltage. (since the fuel pressure sensor and cam sensor share the same 3-plug wire connection it is shorting it out right?)

I've ordered the Fuel Pressure Sensor Part # 89458-30011 and Gasket Part # 90430-12026 from three different websites (oemvehicleparts.com , lexuspartsdirect.ca and
amazon amazon
). I have already taken out Throttle Body intake tube, unbolted and loosened the upper intake manifold plenum and will remove everything else and replace whenever the first sensor comes in. Also ordered TB gasket and intake gasket ill replace those as well.

Anything else I can do in the meantime to rule out other issues? I really need my vehicle back on the road that's why I ordered from 3 different places as no one in Canada has stock.

Thanks for the help in advance!

The following users liked this post:
PAS (08-31-23)
Old 01-25-21, 02:09 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

What part of TX are you? If near Houston, I could give you side help.

The non communication issue would lead me to check the ecu and fuses. The lack of 5 volts also leads to an ecu without power.
The following users liked this post:
ECL (05-09-21)
Old 01-25-21, 02:42 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Are you sure it's not the 12v battery? If your headlights dash and everything else lights up then it's probably not the battery.

That's how my battery died, everything was working perfectly fine until one day it wasn't.
Old 01-25-21, 02:59 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

Fans that are running constantly sounds like a relay issue.
Old 01-27-21, 06:44 AM
Saadq12
Driver

Not in TX atm but appreciate it though! I've checked all the fuses and there all good as well.
Old 01-27-21, 06:45 AM
Saadq12
Driver

Originally Posted by 00goobs

The non communication issue would lead me to check the ecu and fuses. The lack of 5 volts also leads to an ecu without power.
not in TX atm but appreciate it tho! I've checked all the fuses and there all good as well.
Old 01-27-21, 06:46 AM
Saadq12
Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
Are you sure it's not the 12v battery? If your headlights dash and everything else lights up then it's probably not the battery.

That's how my battery died, everything was working perfectly fine until one day it wasn't.
Battery is fine, only two years old and had a jumper starter connected to it as well. Doesn't seem like its losing electrical power - just keeps cranking but won't start.
Old 01-27-21, 06:47 AM
Saadq12
Driver

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
Fans that are running constantly sounds like a relay issue.
Will have to check the relays to confirm thanks for the tip.
Old 01-27-21, 10:30 AM
Saadq12
Driver

So just unplugged the Fuel Pressure Sensor and turned the car on - I got CEL and PCS warning lights back on the dash and the radiator fan is not turning on constantly anymore. My diag believes me to conclude the FPS is shorting out the ECU circuit. Also physically looking at the sensor it looks there has been oxidized coolant or salt water on the sensor itself.

Old 02-24-21, 07:05 AM
Saadq12
Driver

Update on this: IT was the fuel pressure sensor shorting out the car and causing a no start. I installed the amazon one (refurbished) as this was the first part that came in. Its been 2 weeks now and everything is still working fine.
The following 3 users liked this post by Saadq12:
2GR (05-09-21), CAKETOWN (02-24-21), PAS (08-31-23)
Old 02-24-21, 07:23 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Great find! I'd be worried a shop would have told you to replace the computer...
Old 05-08-21, 06:48 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00goobs

hi, i just bought the 2015 GS 350 F and i have this wier noise like knocking from the engine. i've been researching and it seems like the rod knock but i'm not sure. the car only has 43k miles so i'm hoping that it's not something major. this is my first Lexus and i think the car is out of warrranty (minus the power train until August). can you help me diagnos this? i'm from Houston. thanks
Old 05-08-21, 07:17 PM
Saadq12
Driver

Originally Posted by adict2rice
hi, i just bought the 2015 GS 350 F and i have this wier noise like knocking from the engine. i've been researching and it seems like the rod knock but i'm not sure. the car only has 43k miles so i'm hoping that it's not something major. this is my first Lexus and i think the car is out of warrranty (minus the power train until August). can you help me diagnos this? i'm from Houston. thanks

Can you post a video of the sound?
Old 05-09-21, 02:27 PM
EpikSc400
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by adict2rice
What area in Houston? Also in Houston, Katy, and a few other 4gs stay within about 30mins of me. Also have a 2015 F sport.

Not trying to thread jack, sorry.
Old 05-09-21, 02:34 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EpikSc400
What area in Houston? Also in Houston, Katy, and a few other 4gs stay within about 30mins of me. Also have a 2015 F sport.

Not trying to thread jack, sorry.
im in Spring. I will try to post a vid tonight. Im recording now

Quick Reply: Crank No Start + Radiator Fans Running Constantly. Fuel Pressure Sensor? Help Needed!