GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Almost leased an E450

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-21, 01:00 PM
frhill
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Almost leased an E450

Well I notice some suspension noise on my '14 GS350 w luxury package. It was sort of an annoying pop over pavement heaves. I've always thought the GS suspension was noisy when I purchased it new, but this was over and above. My dealer found that the strut was leaking on the front left where I was hearing the noise...but they also found one of the rears was leaking too. $3200 to replace all 4. At 80,000 miles I was a little disappointed, as my 2008 G35x which I bought new at 125000, only routine maintenance. This is a Lexus after all. And I never push it to the limits.

Hmmm. After reading Motor Trend's Car of the Year...they couldn't say enough about the Mercedes E-class mid-cycle refresh.I mean these guys are gushing all-over this car. So since the Mercedes dealer was literally 3 minute walk from the Lexus dealership. I had to check it out for myself. And I must say the pictures didn't do the E-class justice. In fact, I thought it looked rather plain in the pictures. But in person, wow, beautiful car. Nice lines, beautiful interior and MB-tex has come a long way.

So then I consider a lease. With my GS trade-in and 3K down, I was looking at 570/month, increased state taxes and insurance premiums. At $69800, the E450 came upgraded audio and all wheel drive,,,but that's about it. Heated front seats, but not ventilated. No rear: seat heat, climate control, controls for audio and rear sun shade. I have all this in my GS350

Hmmm. With a kid in college where a year's tuition is almost the price of that MB, I told my Lexus dealer to replace the struts. Oh well, it was fun to think about for a few hours. But, then again, every time I drive my GS, I always walk away with a smile on my face.

Last edited by frhill; 01-30-21 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-30-21, 02:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by frhill
But, then again, every time I drive my GS, I always walk away with a smile on my face.
This! This!!!!!
The following 5 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
aachowhan (02-02-21), Im2bz2p345 (01-30-21), IndyIS (02-01-21), LexusGSboy (01-31-21), SammySnit (01-30-21)
Old 01-30-21, 03:38 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Hmmm. With a kid in college where a year's tuition is almost the price of that MB, I told my Lexus dealer to replace the struts. Oh well, it was fun to think about for a few hours. But, then again, every time I drive my GS, I always walk away with a smile on my face.
Couldn't you have replaced the struts by an independent mechanic at 30% of that cost?
The following 3 users liked this post by bb700092:
bob256k (02-04-21), Chaos236 (02-04-21), Im2bz2p345 (01-30-21)
Old 01-31-21, 04:08 AM
frhill
Driver

Originally Posted by bb700092
Couldn't you have replaced the struts by an independent mechanic at 30% of that cost?
In my experience, I've tried independent mechanics and I've really never had a good outcome. Not to say they're not out there, I was never able to find one. I have my dealer service both my GX470 and my GS350. I know that I'm paying more, but in my several years of ownership, I've never had to take them back because they were not repaired right.
The following users liked this post:
RXGS (02-01-21)
Old 01-31-21, 04:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
Why for something like this I use Toyota Dealer at 30-40% less.
Old 01-31-21, 06:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Why for something like this I use Toyota Dealer at 30-40% less.
Also they are just KYB shocks. You can buy aftermarket and have the OEM part without paying OEM prices.
Old 01-31-21, 06:42 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
Also they are just KYB shocks. You can buy aftermarket and have the OEM part without paying OEM prices.
Yep $98 back, and $78 Front.
Old 02-01-21, 04:04 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 463 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yep $98 back, and $78 Front.
OP has 2014 GS350 with Luxury Pack, and that uses AVS electronic variable valve shock absorbers?
The fronts are $278.30 each, while the rears are $243.80 each?
Hence total parts around $1,060; that means labor was roughly $2,100?

If the hourly rate was $100/hour, this would equate to 20 hours work - but then the OP must pay for that almost brand new loan vehicle.

Does KYB make electronic variable valve shock absorbers?

Old 02-01-21, 10:21 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
OP has 2014 GS350 with Luxury Pack, and that uses AVS electronic variable valve shock absorbers?
The fronts are $278.30 each, while the rears are $243.80 each?
Hence total parts around $1,060; that means labor was roughly $2,100?

If the hourly rate was $100/hour, this would equate to 20 hours work - but then the OP must pay for that almost brand new loan vehicle.

Does KYB make electronic variable valve shock absorbers?

Nothing I saw indicated that they had that Model. None the less. Toyota would have been and is and is just about always cheaper than Lexus.
Old 02-02-21, 07:59 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't forget keeping that e450 long term will be harder on your wallet too. Thr gs is a bullet proof car. Struts are a wear and tear item so expect that to be replaced eventually.

They do look nice, but I would lease only and never buy.
Old 02-03-21, 08:26 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do too had to replace my struts. Rears were leaking and the fronts were almost gone on my luxury version. I purchased KYBs from RockAuto that are compatible with the AVS system ($200 for the front shipped, compatible with the AVS).

The rears combative with all-wheel drive and AVS was NOT available anywhere other than Lexus. I got the rear shock absorbers from discountpartmonster. Total cost with all 4 shocks + shock mounts and labor was about $1500 or so. The vehicle drives AMAZING. Everyone who gets in my car can tell the difference in how the car just "floats". It's a wear and tear item. The GS is a fantastic car.
Old 02-03-21, 08:59 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Here is another place that has the Struts for AVS for the RWD and AWD. Some are on Backorder though.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index...3&mode=results
Old 02-04-21, 03:33 AM
frhill
Driver

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Don't forget keeping that e450 long term will be harder on your wallet too. Thr gs is a bullet proof car. Struts are a wear and tear item so expect that to be replaced eventually.

They do look nice, but I would lease only and never buy.
Definitely would not buy but lease -- and for me I chose to keep my GS. The sales rep was proud to say that the E450 had an electric motor to help launch to the car from a dead start (to compensate for the turbo lag). What could go wrong? BTW, I notice Car & Driver had a 2013 GS F Sport out accelerate it from 50-70mph. Gotta love those NA motors !

I also noticed the E450 truck space seemed small compared to the GS.

In fact, my dealer put me into a new ES350 for the week while my GS is being repaired and this ES while externally looks bigger, it's truck also looks smaller than the GS. It also seems to sit lower than the GS. I keep bumping my head against the outside of the car as I get into the drivers seat.

But I can see why they sell a lot of ES350s. Smooth ride, quiet, and the 3.5 V6 is powerful. Funny how you can roast the front wheels when floored from a dead stop (My AWD GS never a whimper). I do miss that noise generator in the GS...it sounds wonderful. I've heard others on this forum complain about it and had it removed. But I think its dullsville not to have it. While the ES350 is powerful, my GS definitely has more grunt off the line, and even at speed. When I punch the ES350, the tack swings up quickly, but the transmission doesn't kick down for seconds. Maybe this is the difference between the 8 speed and 6 speed transmissions.

With that said, I could get use to the radar cruise control...which I don't have in my GS ...as well as more USB ports. The standard audio sounds good, but the standard audio in my GS is still superior.

Ok I miss my GS. The dealer tells me I will be able to pick it up this evening -- Can't wait!

Last edited by frhill; 02-04-21 at 03:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (02-04-21)
Old 02-04-21, 02:37 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely would not buy but lease -- and for me I chose to keep my GS. The sales rep was proud to say that the E450 had an electric motor to help launch to the car from a dead start (to compensate for the turbo lag). What could go wrong? BTW, I notice Car & Driver had a 2013 GS F Sport out accelerate it from 50-70mph. Gotta love those NA motors !

I also noticed the E450 truck space seemed small compared to the GS.

In fact, my dealer put me into a new ES350 for the week while my GS is being repaired and this ES while externally looks bigger, it's truck also looks smaller than the GS. It also seems to sit lower than the GS. I keep bumping my head against the outside of the car as I get into the drivers seat.

But I can see why they sell a lot of ES350s. Smooth ride, quiet, and the 3.5 V6 is powerful. Funny how you can roast the front wheels when floored from a dead stop (My AWD GS never a whimper). I do miss that noise generator in the GS...it sounds wonderful. I've heard others on this forum complain about it and had it removed. But I think its dullsville not to have it. While the ES350 is powerful, my GS definitely has more grunt off the line, and even at speed. When I punch the ES350, the tack swings up quickly, but the transmission doesn't kick down for seconds. Maybe this is the difference between the 8 speed and 6 speed transmissions.

With that said, I could get use to the radar cruise control...which I don't have in my GS ...as well as more USB ports. The standard audio sounds good, but the standard audio in my GS is still superior.

Ok I miss my GS. The dealer tells me I will be able to pick it up this evening -- Can't wait!

Let us know how the ride quality is with the new shocks! I am CERTAIN you will love it.
Old 02-04-21, 08:22 PM
frhill
Driver

Originally Posted by NatGen
Let us know how the ride quality is with the new shocks! I am CERTAIN you will love it.
Back in the saddle again. Yeah, big difference in ride quality. Sorta like when I was in my mid 30s and got my first pair of glasses, I couldn't believe what I was missing for so long.

After almost a week in the ES350, I realize just how superior the GS ride is. And it makes me wonder how Mercedes, Audi and BMW are selling tons of mid-size luxury sedans and Toyota leaves such a good platform to wither on the vine. As Motor Trend revealed in their 6 cylinder luxury sedan comparison, Lexus had the best thing going back then. What the hell? Another great one follows the Lincoln LS into the annals of history.
The following 2 users liked this post by frhill:
jgscott (02-04-21), LexusGSboy (02-05-21)

Quick Reply: Almost leased an E450