GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Headlight Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-21, 05:47 PM
jovan101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Condensation

Have had my 2015 GS350 F sport for over 2 years. I purchased the car at a dealer with 150 mile warranty and my house was over 200 miles away, so I knew it would be void when I arrived home, but everything checked out when I bought it. When. I got home I noticed condensation build up in the drivers side headlight a few days later. Lexus quoted me $1600 for a new one so I lived with it until a few months ago when the bulb burned out. I decided to get a used one on ebay for $800 from another 15 GS350 F sport hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. Long story short, I noticed condensation build up in the replacement one as well! Do I just have bad luck, and need a brand new headlight? Or could there be another issue that is leading to the condensation?

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Will sealing it resolve the condensation? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-21, 06:30 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Is the bulbs and the ballast installed correctly? Other than the headlight being damaged, the only openings is the bulbs/ballast. The headlights are sealed and normally will never have this issue.

I changed my factory HID headlights to LED and one of the headlights came from a car that was in an accident, with broken tabs I repaired, no issues. The only way a used accident headlight would have this issue is if the housing was cracked.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-04-21 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-04-21, 09:16 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Thats a decent condensation buildup - there must be an opening that is allowing air and moisture in. Check the headlight carefully to see if there are any small cracks along the edges, any sliver of an opening from the housing.. You may need to remove it to carefully inspect..not a common problem on the 4GS so you do have a bit of bad luck on this if you have two bad headlamp assemblies!

Here are some helpful threads with similar experiences/fixes/suggestions:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...hat-to-do.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-problem.html
Old 02-04-21, 09:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Is the bulbs and the ballast installed correctly? Other than the headlight being damaged, the only openings is the bulbs/ballast. The headlights are sealed and normally will never have this issue.

I changed my factory HID headlights to LED and one of the headlights came from a car that was in an accident, with broken tabs I repaired, no issues. The only way a used accident headlight would have this issue is if the housing was cracked.
I have not changed bulbs on the GS yet, but I was thinking the same thing you said. Is there a rubber O Ring on the Bulb insert seat?
Old 02-05-21, 05:08 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I have not changed bulbs on the GS yet, but I was thinking the same thing you said. Is there a rubber O Ring on the Bulb insert seat?
Yes there is, check if the o-ring is there, and take off/reinstall the ballast and the turn signal bulb door. The only other explanation for your problem is the headlight housing is damaged/cracked or someone opened it up before and didn't reseal it properly putting it back together.
Old 02-05-21, 10:44 AM
EpikSc400
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yes there is, check if the o-ring is there, and take off/reinstall the ballast and the turn signal bulb door. The only other explanation for your problem is the headlight housing is damaged/cracked or someone opened it up before and didn't reseal it properly putting it back together.
I was thinking someone opened it before and didn't reseal it correctly. You could open it, dry it out, and reseal it yourself if you're comfortable doing so. Most shops could do it, maybe someone that does like halos or something.
Old 02-05-21, 11:51 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Try desiccant pouches in the ballast area....
Old 02-05-21, 02:38 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by EpikSc400
I was thinking someone opened it before and didn't reseal it correctly. You could open it, dry it out, and reseal it yourself if you're comfortable doing so. Most shops could do it, maybe someone that does like halos or something.
You can open the hole where you replace the Bulb. Take a Hair Dryer Blower and leave in blowing in the Hole to dry it up.

I think its the O ring seal around the Bulb seat, being that it has happen on both units now.