GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Servo motor recall notice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 12:27 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Update: Dealer pulled 4 codes (B1449,53,54,55) from Climate Sys and updated the software. There's also a note that says they "redistributed the grease," but not exactly sure what that means since the dash wasn't pulled.
So far, vents are behaving.
The following users liked this post:
CytoRager (12-15-22)
Old 01-28-22, 11:30 AM
berner73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just received this notice from Lexus on Friday of last week (1/21/22), about 10 days AFTER the extended coverage was set to expire (1/12/22). We started having a servo issue with the car mid December but I didn't prioritize the repair as we weren't using the car much and were dealing with the holiday season. Upon receipt of the notice I started doing some research and found this thread (and the extent of the issue).

I contacted Lexus to understand why they were notifying customers of the defect after the end of the program, and if they planned on covering the repair for owners who were mailed the notification late. Lexus acknowledged there was an error in mailing out some letters, but that they still would not be covering any repairs after the 1/12/22 date. The person I spoke with said there was no appeal process available, but they were receiving a litany of calls about the issue. Not his fault and I don't envy his job, but I find it hard to accept.

Hate to say it, but we're done with Toyota/Lexus. We placed an order for a 2022 4Runner Limited at the end of last year for delivery in Q1. Was getting excited about it too but I just called the dealer to cancel it, politely explaining what had happened with the GS350. Our sales rep was surprised to hear what Lexus had done and said he'd look into it for us but that he may not have much pull in the matter. When it arrives, he won't have an issue selling the 4Runner in this market, so I don't feel bad about cancelling the order.

Not sure what we'll do with the GS now. Maybe see if I can swing a deal for an SUV/sedan combo with either Audi or MB and use the GS as a trade-in. I know the cost of ownership will be higher but I can't in good conscious give Toyota any more business.

Hope everyone else has a better experience with the servo issue.
Old 01-28-22, 11:58 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@berner73 Most folks have had a positive experience with getting the servo motors replaced under warranty. I'm surprised that you're willing to give up on the Toyota/Lexus brand entirely because of this -- maybe there were other difficult repair issues with your GS or dealership interactions you've had with the brand(s) that have soured your experience?

I would open a case with corporate and work through it with them. Did you take the car to the dealership and have them confirm its the servo motor problem? Your local dealership may be able to assist by just a quick "reset" or recalibration function (all software based) if you explain the details to your service advisor...

Old 01-28-22, 12:02 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Interestingly - I just got the notice a few days after the primary coverage ended and I think I probably have only a very short period of time for the secondary coverage. Knock wood, I don't think I have the issue. That said, I have my extended warranty for a few more years so I would suspect that would cover it if I had an issue.
Old 01-28-22, 12:23 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Same. I got the noticed last week but I got one from last year. Maybe it was a reminder to take my car in. haha. Needless to say, it was useless since my secondary coverage is expired as well (from the first in service date.)
Old 01-28-22, 08:21 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by berner73
We just received this notice from Lexus on Friday of last week (1/21/22), about 10 days AFTER the extended coverage was set to expire (1/12/22). We started having a servo issue with the car mid December but I didn't prioritize the repair as we weren't using the car much and were dealing with the holiday season. Upon receipt of the notice I started doing some research and found this thread (and the extent of the issue).

I contacted Lexus to understand why they were notifying customers of the defect after the end of the program, and if they planned on covering the repair for owners who were mailed the notification late. Lexus acknowledged there was an error in mailing out some letters, but that they still would not be covering any repairs after the 1/12/22 date. The person I spoke with said there was no appeal process available, but they were receiving a litany of calls about the issue. Not his fault and I don't envy his job, but I find it hard to accept.

Hate to say it, but we're done with Toyota/Lexus. We placed an order for a 2022 4Runner Limited at the end of last year for delivery in Q1. Was getting excited about it too but I just called the dealer to cancel it, politely explaining what had happened with the GS350. Our sales rep was surprised to hear what Lexus had done and said he'd look into it for us but that he may not have much pull in the matter. When it arrives, he won't have an issue selling the 4Runner in this market, so I don't feel bad about cancelling the order.

Not sure what we'll do with the GS now. Maybe see if I can swing a deal for an SUV/sedan combo with either Audi or MB and use the GS as a trade-in. I know the cost of ownership will be higher but I can't in good conscious give Toyota any more business.

Hope everyone else has a better experience with the servo issue.
You are not alone. Your sales rep was probably acting surprised (as opposed to actually being surprised) because he knows very well how Toyota/Lexus operates if he has been in this business for a few years. It is guaranteed he will not look into anything for you.
Old 01-29-22, 06:11 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Also received the letter after the fact. Fortunate that so far I have not had issues with servo.
Old 01-29-22, 06:52 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

Still haven't received the notice for my 18.
Old 01-30-22, 07:35 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

so whats the symptom that u need to go to dealer? i want to see if mines failed or not
Old 01-30-22, 08:26 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
so whats the symptom that u need to go to dealer? i want to see if mines failed or not
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11032537
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11032628
Old 02-01-22, 05:34 PM
Monarchmx
Driver School Candidate

Received a letter just a couple weeks ago. Been complaining about this issue for at least 6 months. About to take the car in tomorrow.

I can now reproduce this consistently with my 17 IS 300: drive the car with heater on pretty much full blast. Turn off car. The next day drive for about 30 minutes with the heater settings just like you left it. Then drop the temp to 68, AC enabled and you get luke warm air coming out.

Before being able to consistently reproduce this issue I had taken the car in multiple times only to have to deal with a smug, dismissive service manager. I would just show up at Service whenever it was happening and they eventually confirmed that the air “isn’t as cool as they would expect.”

The last visit before this letter was to confirm I did not have a Freon leak, because apparently everything checked out except I was slightly low on Freon, and the service manager telling me some bull**** that regardless if the Auto feature is engaged or not the car by default functions like the Auto setting until the cabin is the desired temp. Hope that makes sense.

As I mentioned I have an appt tomorrow and I’m going in with this letter in hand so we’ll see what happens.
Old 02-02-22, 05:08 PM
Monarchmx
Driver School Candidate

With Enhance Warranty 20LE01 in hand they were able to pull codes and address the servo motors short of replacing them.

In hindsight, I think the dealership really got hung up on the one or two liner entry made by the service advisor about the symptoms I was complaining about: hot air blowing out of AC vent. Although that wasn’t entirely wrong it definitely did not capture the scope and detail of the symptoms that I shared with the service advisor.

Long story short, the Enhance Warranty said it best: “inconsistent air temperature coming from the A/C vents, air not coming out at the selected temperature.”
Old 02-08-22, 05:01 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Monarchmx
With Enhance Warranty 20LE01 in hand they were able to pull codes and address the servo motors short of replacing them.

In hindsight, I think the dealership really got hung up on the one or two liner entry made by the service advisor about the symptoms I was complaining about: hot air blowing out of AC vent. Although that wasn’t entirely wrong it definitely did not capture the scope and detail of the symptoms that I shared with the service advisor.

Long story short, the Enhance Warranty said it best: “inconsistent air temperature coming from the A/C vents, air not coming out at the selected temperature.”
what level of fan did you test the temp at? mid fan? or high fan?
Old 02-22-22, 09:59 AM
KellyO350
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by bb700092
You are not alone. Your sales rep was probably acting surprised (as opposed to actually being surprised) because he knows very well how Toyota/Lexus operates if he has been in this business for a few years. It is guaranteed he will not look into anything for you.
I have 2 Lexus vehicles: 2013 GS350 and 2015 IS250. I had an issue with the servo motors back in September of 2020. I knew it'd be a costly repair, so I held off until December 2020 to have it fixed. Fortunately, the dealership only charged me for labor ($1900) and at the cost of parts. Fast forward to January 2021, I received the CSP for the servo motors. I submitted all my paperwork, which they lost and then resubmitted it 2 months later and fortunately, got full reimbursement.

My son drives the IS 250 and in early January 2022, mentioned he was having an issue with the air flow. He disconnected the battery and was able to reset the system. Less than a week later I received 2 CSP notices in the mail, one for the GS350 I had already taken care of and one for the IS250. Perfect, right!? No, not so perfect as I received the notice on 1/21/2022 and it expired on 1/12/2022. CRAP! I called the dealer and they said to bring the car in. They confirm 4 of the servo motors had failure codes but it was not longer covered under the CSP as the CSP was expired. There was nothing they could do for me unless I wanted to pay the $2400 to have them repaired.

I contacted Lexus Brand Experience and dealt with a handful of incompetent and extremely rude "customer experience" staff who said they would do nothing for me, that the CSP was expired. I asked why Lexus would possibly send me a notice that I receive 9 days after the expiration of its validity. They had no answer. I posted to Lexus FB page and they responded that they'd have a supervisor call me. The supervisor was no help either, they weren't budging. It was apparently a 2nd notice that, by law, they legally have to send out. Again, I asked so by law you don't have to send it within a timeframe that it can actually be used? His only response was they sent me a notice in May 2021 and this was a 2nd notice required by law since it is deemed an emissions issue in California. I said, I have 2 Lexus vehicles, one I already dealt with, so don't you think if I had in fact received a notice in May that I would have immediately addressed it considering I already knew exactly what the issue was!?!? Again, he stood firm. There was nothing Lexus would do for me.

I had my GS350 at the dealer this morning and the Service Advisor said she's had several people in the same situation. I'm seriously considering looking into what it would take to file a class action lawsuit on this. Lexus should not be allowed to send expired notices just because "by law they are required to send a 2nd notice". This is a brand, until now, that I have absolutely loved. I've owned 3 of them but I'm going to have to find a new brand as a result of what I consider to be shady practices on their part.

If you have not done anything with the notice and still have time, DO SOMETHING! This is not a repair you want to pay for yourself. The IS250 had 4 motors come back with failures at a repair cost of $2250 which did not include tax. The GS350 with 7 failing motors was $3600 pre-tax. Take your vehicles in and make them incur the costs.
Old 02-22-22, 12:45 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Count yourself lucky if you’re in the US. Lexus does not fix or acknowledge servo motor issues in any other country unless it fails within the warranty period, which is normally just 4 years.

Quick Reply: Servo motor recall notice.