GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Servo motor recall notice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 07:57 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I think the Reset was likely what they did to my GS.
Sounds like a quick servo initialisation procedure with Techstream.
Old 04-13-21, 11:55 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Can you post the notice here? It shouldn’t effect 2012 builds.
I found it,

The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 02:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Can you post the notice here? It shouldn’t effect 2012 builds.
The Lexus 'Customer Support Program' takes care of the 4GS servo problem regardless when the car was built, with the earliest built 4GS (2012) coverage ending January 12, 2022.

The 4GS air conditioning system automatically controls the car's ductwork damper doors to either open or close-off airflow to the car's various vent outlets based on what is required (heating/cooling) of the A/C system. There are six (6) servo sub-assembly controllers (images below) in the 4GS attached to the A/C ductwork damper doors to control and operate this open/close movement action. The small servo motor within each servo controller is operated by a DC signal voltage sent to the appropriate servo motor by the A/C system's computer.

If you have an A/C damper door servo problem you'll most likely first experience it during mild weather conditions (e.g. spring - fall) when the outside ambient temperature is within a few degrees threshold of the car's interior temperature. The sound that a bad servo controller makes is a crunching or a quick ratcheting, clicking noise (that emits from the center dash area), with the sound coming from one of the servo gears' teeth being stripped or not meshing properly. Vehicles that are exposed to very cold climates (e.g. parked outside in cold climate areas) are more prone to experience problems with servo controllers.

The problem is usually encountered intermittently, meaning it can happen as seldom as once or twice a year or it can happen a few times each week for a couple of weeks and then not happen again for another few months, which makes it difficult for a technician to replicate the problem. The reason why it can be so intermittent is because the problem may be a couple of broken teeth off a gear, where the gear teeth engages with future use - or one of the gears can become deformed and misaligned, where it can engage with future use. The small motor is high torque/slow RPM in order to open and close the damper doors which can become stuck a little due to dirt/debris and heat reshaping the damper door frame a little. (It's another good reason why you should keep a clean cabin air filter to reduce the chance of dirt/debris hindering the damper doors from operating freely.) The servo controllers are likely the most vulnerable part to failure within the entire A/C system due to the controllers being a mechanical device that is made to apply a torque force thousands of times over the life of the vehicle. In my opinion, for whatever it's worth, the gears of the servo controller should be changed to a different lightweight material (i.e. Delrin or titanium) that is better able to withstand the forces applied and the ambient heat and cold it must encounter. It is seldom ever the DC motor that fails, it always seems to be the the nylon gears that fail.

The noise usually lasts only a few seconds to a minute or so before it stops as a result of the A/C stops sending the DC signal voltage to the servo motor. If the technician tries a quick troubleshooting method by adjusting the A/C controls to cause the various damper doors to open and close he may get lucky and detect a bad servo controller, but he will not necessarily know which servo controller is the culprit. It's my understanding that extensive detailed diagnosis equipment can be used...but sometimes even then a problem cannot always be determined.

Most A/C damper door servo motors are mounted deep within the dash where it is difficult to physically get to and replace them. Some vehicles even require disassembling a goodly portion of the dash to replace a servo.

Below is what a typical A/C ductwork damper door servo controller looks like. You can see the small DC motor and the various nylon gears inside the controller housing. In the first image you can see the white lever arm that attaches to the damper door to open and close the door.

Last edited by bclexus; 04-13-21 at 06:54 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by bclexus:
2GR (04-13-21), fourgs (08-24-23), gaki (08-24-22), GS69 (04-19-21), HUSKERnKS (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 02:51 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Lexus 'Customer Support Program' takes care of the 4GS servo problem regardless when the car was built, with the earliest built 4GS (2012) coverage ending January 12, 2022.

The air conditioning system automatically controls the car's ductwork damper doors to either open or close-off airflow to the car's various vent outlets based on what is required (heating/cooling) of the A/C system. The small servo motor within each servo controller is operated by a DC signal voltage sent to the appropriate servo motor by the A/C system's computer.

If you have an A/C damper door servo problem you'll most likely first experience it during mild weather conditions (e.g. spring - fall) when the outside ambient temperature is within a few degrees threshold of the car's interior temperature. The sound that a bad servo controller makes is a crunching or a quick ratcheting, clicking noise (that emits from the center dash area), with the sound coming from one of the servo gears' teeth being stripped or not meshing properly. Vehicles that are exposed to very cold climates (e.g. parked outside in cold climate areas) are more prone to experience problems with servo controllers.

The problem is usually encountered intermittently, meaning it can as seldom as once or twice a year or it can happen a few times each week for a couple of weeks and then not happen again for another few months, which makes it difficult for a technician to replicate the problem. Also, the noise usually lasts only a few seconds to a minute or so before it stops as a result of the A/C stops sending the DC signal voltage to the servo motor. If the technician tries a quick troubleshooting method by adjusting the A/C controls to cause the various damper doors to open and close he may get lucky and detect a bad servo controller, but he will not necessarily know which servo controller is the culprit. It's my understanding that extensive detailed diagnosis equipment can be used...but sometimes even then a problem cannot always be determined.

Most A/C damper door servo motors are mounted deep within the dash where it is difficult to physically get to and replace them. Some vehicles even require disassembling a goodly portion of the dash to replace a servo.

Below is what a typical A/C ductwork damper door servo controller looks like. You can see the small DC motor and the various nylon gears inside the controller housing. In the first image you can see the white lever arm that attaches to the damper door to open and close the door.
Do you have a word document with canned responses or are you really typing out all the same info? Seems like your our expert on servo motors, always a response when someone mentions it
The following 3 users liked this post by peasodos:
2GR (04-13-21), Im2bz2p345 (04-15-21), jgscott (04-20-21)
Old 04-13-21, 03:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
Do you have a word document with canned responses or are you really typing out all the same info? Seems like your our expert on servo motors, always a response when someone mentions it
In case you do not know, I am a robot - I am not real human.

No really...I type fast and I know I want to pass along for the benefit of others.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
HUSKERnKS (04-13-21), LYTE (12-13-22)
Old 04-13-21, 03:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

^ This guy is special, that's why we need him here!

Wait.. Are u even a guy? Or AI?
bclexus (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 03:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
^ This guy is special, that's why we need him here!

Wait.. Are u even a guy? Or AI?
Totally AI - that's why I will not be concerned when I take you car, your scooter, your Apple watch, your drone...and your lovely wife. You'll never catch me, because I am artificial or maybe I'm a figment!!!
HUSKERnKS (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 03:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Damn straight Terminator right there.
bclexus (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 03:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Damn straight Terminator right there.

HUSKERnKS (04-13-21)
Old 04-14-21, 06:19 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone received that letter in the mail? Hopefully my 2014 is covered.
Old 04-14-21, 06:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2GR
Anyone received that letter in the mail? Hopefully my 2014 is covered.
All 4GS models are covered. When the support expires depends on when your car was first put into service. In my case (with a 2013 model year that was built in December, 2012) my support expires on January 22, 2022. I received my letter on January 22, 2021, exactly one year before support expires.

I would have thought that all 4GS owners that are in Lexus' database would have received their support letter by now.
Old 04-14-21, 06:54 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
All 4GS models are covered. When the support expires depends on when your car was first put into service. In my case (with a 2013 model year that was built in December, 2012) my support expires on January 22, 2022. I received my letter on January 22, 2021, exactly one year before support expires.
I would have thought that all 4GS owners that are in Lexus' database would have received their support letter by now.
I would've thought the same. I currently have the issue where in my 2013 AWD Premium, my A/C is barely getting cold even on the coldest temp settings. Being here in the northeast, I haven't used my A/C in about 8 months and we happened to have a warm spring day in the 70s and I finally noticed that it wouldn't cool down.

I asked my service advisor when I could bring it in, but he's still "researching" the customer support program. Will be following up tomorrow with him to hear when they can look at it.
Old 04-14-21, 07:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I would've thought the same. I currently have the issue where in my 2013 AWD Premium, my A/C is barely getting cold even on the coldest temp settings. Being here in the northeast, I haven't used my A/C in about 8 months and we happened to have a warm spring day in the 70s and I finally noticed that it wouldn't cool down.

I asked my service advisor when I could bring it in, but he's still "researching" the customer support program. Will be following up tomorrow with him to hear when they can look at it.
AJLex19:

Call (800) 255-3987 - Lexus Headquarters - Plano (Suburb of Dallas), Texas (Located just 5 miles from me.)
You can also Call (800) 331-4331 - Toyota Motor North America, Inc. - Plano (Suburb of Dallas), Texas (Same physical address as Lexus Headquarters - Huge facility)

Ask for the Lexus Brand Engagement Center. Tell the person you end up talking with that you have not received the Lexus Customer Support Program 20LE01 that provides coverage as it applies to the air conditioner (A/C) servo motor(s) for your 2013 Lexus GS 350. Have your VIN number handy. You'll probably be asked for your name and mailing address (if you are not in their database for some reason).

Did you buy your car from a Lexus dealership? Have you ever received any Lexus literature from Lexus Headquarters in Plano, Texas? If not, you are probably not in Lexus' customer database (even though you may have had your car serviced by a Lexus dealership - that dealership may not have passed your customer information on to Lexus Headquarters)...and that is why you haven't received information about the Lexus Customer Support Program 20LE01.

The Primary Coverage offers coverage until January 12, 2022 regardless of age or mileage. The Secondary Coverage (starts after Primary Coverage ends) is applicable for 7 years or 125,000 miles from the date of first use, whichever comes first. Therefore, ALL 4GS models are covered under this program through at least January 12, 2022 as long as it has a valid title - not a salvage title.

I hope that helps you!

Last edited by bclexus; 04-14-21 at 07:52 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by bclexus:
2GR (04-16-21), AJLex19 (04-15-21), byungkuk (04-15-21), Im2bz2p345 (04-15-21), Neophyte2b (07-27-21), SammySnit (04-15-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-14-21, 11:22 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

i did not receive any letter about this too, the only letter i receive is the dashboard melting and recall.
Old 04-15-21, 03:39 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I've yet to receive the notice for my 18 GS.

Quick Reply: Servo motor recall notice.