GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Servo motor recall notice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 09:29 AM
Longevite
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servo motor recall notice.

Few week ago I got servo motor recall notice, but I'm not sure what to do, it's said if I don't have experience with the problem then I don't have to worry, but it happened one time like 4 years ago.
Should I bring in for them to check? I kinda regretted didn't do the dashboard recall.

BTW my car is 2013, but built around mid 2012.
Old 02-06-21, 09:53 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Can you post the notice here? It shouldn’t effect 2012 builds.
Old 02-06-21, 10:48 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Mine is fine so far and I've yet to receive the notice on my 18.
Old 02-06-21, 11:01 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I just picked up my car from Lexus today. They told me it was not a Recall but a customer concern campaign to fix it, or something like that. They said they fixed it, but I was told it was just a adjustment? Is this what it should have been?
Old 02-06-21, 11:30 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I just picked up my car from Lexus today. They told me it was not a Recall but a customer concern campaign to fix it, or something like that. They said they fixed it, but I was told it was just a adjustment? Is this what it should have been?
I believe it's a replacement not an adjustment...and quite extensive...

See this thread from a fellow CL member..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...working-4.html
Old 02-06-21, 11:52 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgscott
it costs thousands to fix as it’s labour intensive due to the dash being taken apart. That’s why I’m interested in what the work is. I doubt they did that and might be just a reset using Techstream.
Old 02-06-21, 12:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yea I was kind of wondering what they did myself. Ill call them on Monday and find out and post.
Old 02-06-21, 01:43 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
it costs thousands to fix as it’s labour intensive due to the dash being taken apart. That’s why I’m interested in what the work is. I doubt they did that and might be just a reset using Techstream.
. Yes, I had it replaced on my IS350. AC got stuck on hot. I am in south Florida so don’t really use the heat. The second time I did it got stuck on hot. The estimate was almost $4000. I complained and Lexus fixed it free of charge as a goodwill outside of warranty.
Old 02-06-21, 02:23 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Savjam
. Yes, I had it replaced on my IS350. AC got stuck on hot. I am in south Florida so don’t really use the heat. The second time I did it got stuck on hot. The estimate was almost $4000. I complained and Lexus fixed it free of charge as a goodwill outside of warranty.
What year was your IS? That's why I'm dubious Lexus would spend a whole day doing 1 job that would tie them up for the next 10 years. Would be interesting if its some kind of software hack to limit the range of the servo motors.

Removing the A/C is a PIA not to mention the disassembly and assembly of all the servo motors.

Old 02-06-21, 06:34 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

703 my IS was a 2015 model. When I took my car in, the owner of the dealership and a Toyota executive was visiting. My service advisor quickly put together a case which required them to pull the part and confirm the failure before approval. They actually had part out and confirmed the failure within I would say an hour and a half. Was actually surprised at the speed after they had explained that the high cost was mostly due to labor.

Agree this would be an expensive recall. To troubleshoot the issue, they first tried a software reset for the servo motor. Apparently in the majority of cases this solves the problem. My GS350 stopped blowing cold once and resetting the servo resolved the problem. The dealership however claimed they found nothing wrong but when I got back the car, it was fixed and no parts were replaced.

So, based on my experience there are two failure modes. 1. Mechanical failure where the servo mechanism gets stuck and requires replacement; in my case this is probably due to lack of use since I hadn’t changed the temp setting in years. 2. Software/mechanical design where the servo loses position and needs to be reset. Resetting however maybe only temporary and does not address the root cause.

In my experience this is the only weak area I have found with Lexus.

Good luck.

Last edited by Savjam; 02-06-21 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-06-21, 06:41 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Longevite
Few week ago I got servo motor recall notice, but I'm not sure what to do, it's said if I don't have experience with the problem then I don't have to worry, but it happened one time like 4 years ago.
Should I bring in for them to check? I kinda regretted didn't do the dashboard recall.

BTW my car is 2013, but built around mid 2012.
I wouldn’t if you have not had an issue in 4 years. In my case, I had some interior damage from the repair. When they pulled the dashboard to replace the servo, they scuffed my steering wheel and scraped the upholstery on the drivers door that eventually led to a tear. I didn’t complain at the time since they had replace it as a goodwill.
Old 02-06-21, 10:48 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

703 my IS was a 2015 model. When I took my car in, the owner of the dealership and a Toyota executive was visiting. My service advisor quickly put together a case which required them to pull the part and confirm the failure before approval. They actually had part out and confirmed the failure within I would say an hour and a half. Was actually surprised at the speed after they had explained that the high cost was mostly due to labor.

Agree this would be an expensive recall. To troubleshoot the issue, they first tried a software reset for the servo motor. Apparently in the majority of cases this solves the problem. My GS350 stopped blowing cold once and resetting the servo resolved the problem. The dealership however claimed they found nothing wrong but when I got back the car, it was fixed and no parts were replaced.

So, based on my experience there are two failure modes. 1. Mechanical failure where the servo mechanism gets stuck and requires replacement; in my case this is probably due to lack of use since I hadn’t changed the temp setting in years. 2. Software/mechanical design where the servo loses position and needs to be reset. Resetting however maybe only temporary and does not address the root cause.

In my experience this is the only weak area I have found with Lexus.

Good luck.
I think the Reset was likely what they did to my GS.
Old 02-07-21, 11:36 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Can you post the notice here? It shouldn’t effect 2012 builds.
​​​​​​ Sorry for the late reply, I am moving to a new place, and I lost it somewhere, tomorrow I will go back and will update.
Edit: My browser log in and Google account login messed up, I am OP

Last edited by Longevite1; 02-07-21 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-07-21, 11:41 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

I wouldn’t if you have not had an issue in 4 years. In my case, I had some interior damage from the repair. When they pulled the dashboard to replace the servo, they scuffed my steering wheel and scraped the upholstery on the drivers door that eventually led to a tear. I didn’t complain at the time since they had replace it as a goodwill.
I am worry about this too. I took my car in for passenger seat safety recall and now it rattle whenever go over the bump.
​​​​​​​Edit: My browser log in and Google account login messed up, I am OP
Old 02-07-21, 07:23 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Longevite1
I am worry about this too. I took my car in for passenger seat safety recall and now it rattle whenever go over the bump.
Edit: My browser log in and Google account login messed up, I am OP
Sorry to hear this. Every time I take my car in for service I inform the service advisor of the issues i had with a former dealer (after every service they return my car with some damage, e.g., scratched wheels, interior scratches or scuffs etc) and that I like to keep my car in like new condition. So far knock on wood, they have been great and no issues.

Quick Reply: Servo motor recall notice.