GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to wire rear dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 05:56 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts
Default How to wire rear dash cam

Hey guys, this isn't a full DIY guide with pics, please let me know if it's redundant and I'll delete it.
I was given a front and rear dashcam package, where the rear camera gets it's power and sends it's data to the front via a single usb cable.

For anyone wanting to install such a camera, don't be discouraged, it's really easy. For anyone afraid to make the leap, here is a very simple guide, if it helps one person then it was worth it. I'm just wiring it to the rear cig lighter, but one day I may choose to hardwire it with the appropriate kit.
This is Eddie420's tremendous guide to gutting the whole car, which gave me the confidence to tackle certain parts. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-present/901708-how-to-dash-disassembly.html

Disassembly
1 Pull up the driver's side door sil (the one that says LEXUS) and the passenger one behind the driver's seat. They just pull up, use a flat blade to get it started.
2 At the rear seat, there is trim that goes up the side of the seat, just pull it up with the seal.
3 At the front, pull the A pillar panel off, it'll pop but don't pull too far, there is a plastic bit at the top that needs to be turned 90 degrees (sorry not sure if that's an American unit) with long nose pliers or a screwdriver to release it completely. Eddie's guide has a picture of it. There is only one other normal clip holding the piece in place, and is the only part of the job where you really need to pay attention and do it right.
4 There is a trim piece with seal between the A pillar piece and floor sill....just pull out, once it all comes off you can see where the clips attach.
5 Pull the overhead map light unit down, pulls down from the front and almost hinges at the rear so start at the front, it's just clips. Don't attack it from the rear.
6 Remove the rear A/C vents on the back of the centre console. Just pull, it's hilariously simple to remove, your 3 yr old could do it for fun.
7 Remove the colour coded side trim of the of centre console, it literally just pulls up.

Running power
8 Now you can run the power cable from the rear cig lighter to the dashcam (or where it needs to go, in my case an adaptor in the A pillar), along the centre console (tuck it under) and under the driver's footwell. I just tucked it up behind the knee airbag but one could get carried away with cable ties.
9 Remove the side of the dashboard unit at the bottom of the A pillar, it just pops out. This allows access so you can run the cable up to the A pillar. In my kit this is where the rear camera joins the power cable with a special adaptor, from there it's just one cable up to the front camera.

Cabling the rear camera
10 Check you're sending the right end of the cable. From the front of the car, run the cable along the cable channel that you revealed when removing the door sills. To get it to the rear seat (past the B pillar), I found it only went through when using the side close to the exterior of the car. Take it up to the rear headrest area as far as the channel allows. A foot of cable will be visible using this method, I don't want to pull more apart.
11 Tuck it into the rear headliner (I used a clip on the cable and shoved it in to keep it there. Bring it across to the centre and down! Attach your dashcam with temporary tape if possible and see if it clears the auto blind. If it hits it, don't let the blind crush it when it retracts lol. Mount it as high as you can and clean the glass with alcohol before applying the proper tape.
12 Take the other end of the rear cam cable and plug it into where it needs to go, (in my case, a connector in the a pillar) and run your slack forwards and backwards along the driver's door sill. Don't bundle it in a tight circle because (google inductive coil)

Cable to the dashcam
13 Simply run the cable up the A pillar, on the top side. Keen an eye on the location of the curtain airbag, keep the cable out of it's way. Think about what it will do when it goes off, just ensure your cables are kept with the other cables already there. Run across the liner to the hole where the map light is. Run down to your camera and viola! Take your time replacing all the trim pieces, and as always take 'before' pics so you know what it should look like!

The following 5 users liked this post by Cwang:
CAKETOWN (02-14-21), JDR76 (02-15-21), Neophyte2b (02-14-21), peteharvey (10-07-21), websurfer (10-13-21)
Old 10-07-21, 11:30 AM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you please take a picture of where the cable is exposed? I am unsure where you routed the cable between the top of the seat and the camera. I did it similarly but don't like the cable exposed to go over the sunshield. I was thinking about running it into the trunk and up through the third brake light opening. attached a picture of my unsatisfactory rear cable route.

Last edited by robm; 10-07-21 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 10-07-21, 12:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by robm
Can you please take a picture of where the cable is exposed? I am unsure where you routed the cable between the top of the seat and the camera. I did it similarly but don't like the cable exposed to go over the sunshield. I was thinking about running it into the trunk and up through the third brake light opening. attached a picture of my unsatisfactory rear cable route.
If you open the rear door and pull up the kick plate and pull the rubber seal, you can run the wire inside there. I have my rear dashcam top center of the windshield.with no exposed wire.
Old 10-07-21, 02:34 PM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info. I pulled the cable back and used a wire to snake it out the headliner.
Old 10-11-21, 02:02 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Nice one, I'll have to do the same. Mine is the same as yours Rob. The sunshade slides over it nicely though

Old 10-11-21, 02:11 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Nice one, I'll have to do the same. Mine is the same as yours Rob. The sunshade slides over it nicely though

The red arrow points to the rubber door sill, lift that and run the wire inside that channel, then tuck the wire under the c-pillar trim along the yellow line.
Then you won't have this exposed wire and a cleaner looking install.

The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 10:22 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
The red arrow points to the rubber door sill, lift that and run the wire inside that channel, then tuck the wire under the c-pillar trim along the yellow line.
Then you won't have this exposed wire and a cleaner looking install.

You can also route the wire to the rear deck and tuck between deck and windshield to mount the camera above the brake light.
There's more clearance from the sunshade there, and more rear cameras will fit.