GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RSR rear shocks blown. Options for alternative shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-21, 01:02 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by initial
I called a reputable shop near me that rebuilds shocks, but they told me they wouldn't recommend rebuilding aftermarket coilovers. They said I was better off getting new ones from RSR since they would know more than the shop does. The car is lowered 2.5 inches all around. My friend said the rear shocks do not rebound once compressed. I drove the car down the street and hit a small bump and the entire rear end bounces then bottoms out. It wasn't safe to drive it home so I had it towed home.
At 2.5" drop, you might be ok with the Airlift shocks. Getting those would still be cheaper than the RSR dampers. Try calling around some non-local suspension shops. I read on some older posts on other forums that Feal Suspension used to rebuild other brand coilovers, so you might try them too.
The following users liked this post:
initial (03-04-21)
Old 03-10-21, 10:29 AM
Drew1121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, 4GS family. Probably around October time I had purchased RSR coilovers without the AVS from another member on here. He had said the RSR coilovers had only 10k miles on them and had perfect compression. Once I received them in the mail, the rears are blown and my buddy had installed them for me, but he could not get into contact with me that day to let me know they were blown. I work at a hospital and around that time, I had college students come with COVID and such since college had started back up and they decided to throw parties. That's beside the point. I wasn't able to pick up my phone that day due to it being super busy, so my buddy installed them for me. So pretty much my 2013 GS350 is a garage queen at the moment due to it not being driveable because of the rear shocks being dead. I have another GS and an RX that I've been driving for the time being, but I would like to get back into my daily car. RSR had quoted me roughly 400 shipped per shock and I would like to know if there are any other rear shock options that would be high quality and perhaps a better price. I'm currently about 2.5 inches lowered all around. I have no wheel gap. The seller hasn't been much of help so I'm out of some money and have to look for new rear shocks.
Isn't a full set of these going for about 900 on Ebay? At 400 per it makes send to just buy a whole new set.
Old 03-10-21, 08:25 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew1121
Isn't a full set of these going for about 900 on Ebay? At 400 per it makes send to just buy a whole new set.
A full set is same as retail lol. 1800-2k give or take if they offer free shipping.
Old 04-10-21, 06:20 AM
kalieaire
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called a reputable shop near me that rebuilds shocks, but they told me they wouldn't recommend rebuilding aftermarket coilovers. They said I was better off getting new ones from RSR since they would know more than the shop does. The car is lowered 2.5 inches all around. My friend said the rear shocks do not rebound once compressed. I drove the car down the street and hit a small bump and the entire rear end bounces then bottoms out. It wasn't safe to drive it home so I had it towed home.
Just a note, the shops aren't really wrong. A lot of the JDM Manufacturers are full machine shops. When they build their shocks they have custom valves and shim stacks. They may also vary in shaft sizes. Without tearing a shock apart, or having prior experience with a specific brand, they won't know what secret sauces are laying within the shock's body. Meaning they may not have comparable parts. It's kind of like diagnosing cancer w/o blood tests and/or imaging.

Just a note, if the shocks are blown, regardless of age or distance traveled, it simply means that the seals are blown, the nitrogen has left the system of the shock tube, and its effective damping capability is reduced dramatically. Seals typically don't fail for a long time unless they're in dirty environments or the seals that were installed sat for too long without being used. If they were stuck in a lot of dirt, it's possible the dirt made it into the seals and chewed up the interior of the shock cylinder, that's bad news, because if the shock body needs to be replaced, that's even more. Companies like Cusco, for example, they don't even bother rebuilding, they just send you a new shock and send you on your merry way.

While the cost of replacing them isn't unheard of, I might just consider something more streetable since you don't have plans to track the car. BC BRs are the cheapest out there, though I'd consider the DS or ER if you can spring for them. I'd contact BC, they might be able to make you just the blown pair, and then you can do the others at a later time.

Good luck either way.
The following users liked this post:
initial (04-10-21)