GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RSR rear shocks blown. Options for alternative shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 08:48 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RSR rear shocks blown. Options for alternative shocks?

Hello, 4GS family. Probably around October time I had purchased RSR coilovers without the AVS from another member on here. He had said the RSR coilovers had only 10k miles on them and had perfect compression. Once I received them in the mail, the rears are blown and my buddy had installed them for me, but he could not get into contact with me that day to let me know they were blown. I work at a hospital and around that time, I had college students come with COVID and such since college had started back up and they decided to throw parties. That's beside the point. I wasn't able to pick up my phone that day due to it being super busy, so my buddy installed them for me. So pretty much my 2013 GS350 is a garage queen at the moment due to it not being driveable because of the rear shocks being dead. I have another GS and an RX that I've been driving for the time being, but I would like to get back into my daily car. RSR had quoted me roughly 400 shipped per shock and I would like to know if there are any other rear shock options that would be high quality and perhaps a better price. I'm currently about 2.5 inches lowered all around. I have no wheel gap. The seller hasn't been much of help so I'm out of some money and have to look for new rear shocks.
Old 02-24-21, 10:47 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i would pick up the aftermarket kybs for the mean time. I am sure they will do just fine.
The following users liked this post:
initial (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 12:24 AM
Seatown206
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

It would be best to stick with replacement RSR rear shocks and just bite the bullet. Its expensive yes but since you have front coilovers installed, its best to stick to the same type of setup front and rear. You dont want coilovers in the front and lowering springs in the rear, it would ride and handle weird. So I really see you only having two options. Go to a lowering spring setup like the RSR Super Downs front and rear with your original stock shocks, or get replacement RSR rear coilover shocks. I would not mix and match.
The following 3 users liked this post by Seatown206:
initial (02-25-21), Measured (02-26-21), thisguy_06 (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 02:14 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You need an adjustable length shock to dial in shock stroke to match your coilspring height since you are lowered 2.5". A non-adjustable height shock like OEM or KYB isn't going to work properly as its operating stroke is much higher than your ride height. That shock will be mostly compressed at your static lowered height and probably be on the bump stop

That said, call RS-R and get all the info you can on their rear shocks - min and max stroke, recommended shock height at their recommended ride (spring) height and rear damper lower mount specs (diameter, thread, length,etc..) .

You need a damper that is going to match your rear coilspring height and 8K spring rate. BC will sell individual parts or just their rear kit. Fortune Auto may as well. Tein's use a 12k rear spring so their off the shelf dampers for the GS kit will not work but I imagine all coilover manufacturers have a damper that will match whatever specs you need. The dampers are just cartridges that screw into the lower mount. All you need to match is stroke, spring rate valving, bump stop height, etc.. Also QA1 could be an option.

https://www.bcracing-na.com/products...Filter=Dampers

https://www.bcracing-na.com/products/parts/lower-mounts

You may not need new rear lower mounts if the RS-Rs and BCs use the same shock body height, diameter, thread, lower mount height, etc..

$400/shock is ridiculous when you can get a BC for <$100 each +$50 per lower mount should you need it.

Hope this helps..

Neil
The following 2 users liked this post by Neil64:
initial (02-25-21), thisguy_06 (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 07:38 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Like Neil mentioned, you could possibly get BC to properly valve you a set of new shocks, just let them know what spring rates your RSR springs are.

I'd be pessimistic in hoping that BC's shock body will fit in the RSR's adjustable sleeve, so be ready to buy a whole new shock and adjuster.
initial (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 07:48 AM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

Get the airlift performance shocks - they’re adjustable as well.
initial (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 09:00 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,374 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Not possible to have the Rears that are blown Rebuilt for the lowest cost option?
initial (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 07:38 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Seatown206
It would be best to stick with replacement RSR rear shocks and just bite the bullet. Its expensive yes but since you have front coilovers installed, its best to stick to the same type of setup front and rear. You dont want coilovers in the front and lowering springs in the rear, it would ride and handle weird. So I really see you only having two options. Go to a lowering spring setup like the RSR Super Downs front and rear with your original stock shocks, or get replacement RSR rear coilover shocks. I would not mix and match.
I've been contemplating that the last couple of months to just stick with RSR replacement shocks. I generally stay away from mixing and matching parts especially with different brands, but the price RSR quoted me is the reason why the car has been sitting since October.
Originally Posted by Neil64
You need an adjustable length shock to dial in shock stroke to match your coilspring height since you are lowered 2.5". A non-adjustable height shock like OEM or KYB isn't going to work properly as its operating stroke is much higher than your ride height. That shock will be mostly compressed at your static lowered height and probably be on the bump stop

That said, call RS-R and get all the info you can on their rear shocks - min and max stroke, recommended shock height at their recommended ride (spring) height and rear damper lower mount specs (diameter, thread, length,etc..) .

You need a damper that is going to match your rear coilspring height and 8K spring rate. BC will sell individual parts or just their rear kit. Fortune Auto may as well. Tein's use a 12k rear spring so their off the shelf dampers for the GS kit will not work but I imagine all coilover manufacturers have a damper that will match whatever specs you need. The dampers are just cartridges that screw into the lower mount. All you need to match is stroke, spring rate valving, bump stop height, etc.. Also QA1 could be an option.

https://www.bcracing-na.com/products...Filter=Dampers

https://www.bcracing-na.com/products/parts/lower-mounts

You may not need new rear lower mounts if the RS-Rs and BCs use the same shock body height, diameter, thread, lower mount height, etc..

$400/shock is ridiculous when you can get a BC for <$100 each +$50 per lower mount should you need it.

Hope this helps..

Neil
Yeah, that's why I've been seeing if there are any aftermarket shocks that are meant for coilover setups and such. I didn't want to go with RSR super downs and factory shocks knowing they would kill all 4 shocks very quickly since OEM can't handle that much compression. Yeah, I've been on the fence of forking over 800 bucks for new rear shocks. The seller told me he checked the compressions and said they were fine. My buddy checked and said the rears are dead. But I cant ship them back, and the buyer pretty much made off with my money. Cuz I already paid 1k for them and another 800 I might as well had bought them brand new.
Originally Posted by itsraysgs
Can you perhaps link me to it? Also are there any threads about the airlift shocks?
Originally Posted by jgscott
Not possible to have the Rears that are blown Rebuilt for the lowest cost option?
I called a couple shops to see if they could rebuild, and many of them said they don't recommend rebuilding it. They told me I'm better off just sticking with RSR sending me new ones or find aftermarket alternatives.
Old 03-03-21, 11:41 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Which model of RSR's did you get and did RSR offer to rebuild them for you at all? I contacted them several years ago out of curiosity, and they said they do offer rebuild services but if I wanted a spare damper to save on down time, they offer that as well.

I think I read that Tein might do rebuilds for other manufacturer's dampers as well.

I have a set of Sports-I non AVS coilovers for an AWD model I've been trying to sell locally with no luck and haven't posted on the forums yet. After taking the bottom mount off the rear struts, there's a snap ring on the bottom of the damper so these are definitely rebuild-able.

Rear damper with lower mount removed

Rear damper with lower mount attached

Last edited by rog1206; 03-03-21 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rog1206:
initial (03-03-21), Neil64 (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 12:43 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
If you plan to go the Airlift route:
https://www.airliftperformance.com/product/78667/
Try reaching out to a vendor to see if they can source the shocks only.
initial (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 01:08 PM
IS350mumba
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

If the rears are dead, fronts will soon follow. Got scammed. Never buy used suspension.
Probably cut the losses and buy whole new kit.
Old 03-03-21, 07:57 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IS350mumba
If the rears are dead, fronts will soon follow. Got scammed. Never buy used suspension.
Probably cut the losses and buy whole new kit.
Car hasn't been driven since October. It just sits in my yard lol. I've had previous cars and have been on various forums where people sold used suspension. I have never ran into any issue. This is my first time dealing with this bs (excuse my language)
Old 03-03-21, 09:04 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rog1206
Which model of RSR's did you get and did RSR offer to rebuild them for you at all? I contacted them several years ago out of curiosity, and they said they do offer rebuild services but if I wanted a spare damper to save on down time, they offer that as well.

I think I read that Tein might do rebuilds for other manufacturer's dampers as well.

I have a set of Sports-I non AVS coilovers for an AWD model I've been trying to sell locally with no luck and haven't posted on the forums yet. After taking the bottom mount off the rear struts, there's a snap ring on the bottom of the damper so these are definitely rebuild-able.

Rear damper with lower mount removed

Rear damper with lower mount attached
I have the same ones you just mentioned, but for RWD with non avs. RSR did not offer me and rebuilding options. They told me I had to buy new shocks.
Old 03-03-21, 11:16 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by initial
I have the same ones you just mentioned, but for RWD with non avs. RSR did not offer me and rebuilding options. They told me I had to buy new shocks.
Have you tried contacting other suspension companies to ask if they can service them for you? Maybe try calling RSR again and ask them to recommend a rebuilder.

Also try motorcycle suspension shops if you have one local to you. Some of them can rebuild car coilovers since they are similar to motorcycle shocks and forks. They only need to source the seals, O-rings, shims, and maybe some valves.

A little warning for the Airlift rears; the max height on the rear shocks are shorter compared to RSR and other coilovers. What height was your car set to when your friend did the install? I'm curious about what your friend found when he said they were blown. I've also been scammed years ago when I bought set of used Tien Flex and they started leaking less than a week after install.
Old 03-03-21, 11:44 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rog1206
Have you tried contacting other suspension companies to ask if they can service them for you? Maybe try calling RSR again and ask them to recommend a rebuilder.

Also try motorcycle suspension shops if you have one local to you. Some of them can rebuild car coilovers since they are similar to motorcycle shocks and forks. They only need to source the seals, O-rings, shims, and maybe some valves.

A little warning for the Airlift rears; the max height on the rear shocks are shorter compared to RSR and other coilovers. What height was your car set to when your friend did the install? I'm curious about what your friend found when he said they were blown. I've also been scammed years ago when I bought set of used Tien Flex and they started leaking less than a week after install.
I called a reputable shop near me that rebuilds shocks, but they told me they wouldn't recommend rebuilding aftermarket coilovers. They said I was better off getting new ones from RSR since they would know more than the shop does. The car is lowered 2.5 inches all around. My friend said the rear shocks do not rebound once compressed. I drove the car down the street and hit a small bump and the entire rear end bounces then bottoms out. It wasn't safe to drive it home so I had it towed home.

Last edited by initial; 03-03-21 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: RSR rear shocks blown. Options for alternative shocks?