GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Atomic Silver Through a Tunnel Wash......

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 09:15 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Atomic Silver Through a Tunnel Wash......

....but not just any tunnel wash. I'm not that crazy! Maybe this isn't that new or different but it was the first time I had seen one like this.

The car needed a good cleaning after the snow...luckily they don't use salt in Oregon but still. I have a touchless not too far from the house that I've used with hit or miss success. So...today I decided to see if I could find another self service touchless that might do a little better. I thought I had found one but when I pulled in it was looking a lot like a typical tunnel wash so I was confused.

Turns out it was a touchless tunnel.....but I was still concerned about the tracks messing up the wheels. That turned out to be a non-issue as well.

This one wasn't really self-service - when you pull in an attendant goes over the entire car with a soap/deterent sprayer (like a low pressure pressure washer) and then goes over the whole care with a higher pressure spray wand. After that you pull into the tunnel but instead of the typical rails/rollers it has two moving belts. They seem like they were made out of either metal or a hard plastic, or maybe rubber covering something. There was nothing on the sides to damage the tires or wheels. This was the best image I could grab out of the video - next time through I'll take one before they do their initial spray. The little things sticking up seem to just be rubber or something. I would think they might have something to do with spacing but they only send one car through at a time for the most part.

From there it was very similar to a regular tunnel wash except everything was different types of sprayers pointed at different parts of the car. The over head seemed to adjust to the height of the car so that the jets stayed a certain distance from the surface. It had two presoaks, the pressure wash, a rinse and a blower. They also have an attendant there to do a quick dry. Obviously I asked them to skip that.

The car certainly looked better than the standard touchless, where the car stays stationary and the washer moves around the car. I noticed two issues. There were still some suds in the crack at the bottom of the doors, but not terrible. The back of the car definitely didn't get washed as well as the rest, maybe not quite as good but close to the starndard touchless. If the road spray on the back wasn't as bad as it was it probably would have been better. Over all it was seems to be a good substitute for hand washes when they're not possible.

I looked tonight and couldn't find any info on what company might make the equipment. I may try to find out more next time. Definitely something to keep an eye out for

Standard self serve touchless here runs $8 for the basic - this was $10. I think it was worth the extra $2, just wish it was a less out of the way. I'm actually looking forward to nice weather and hand washes though
Old 02-25-21, 10:37 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Does that improve ur 0-60 time though?

The following users liked this post:
LexusGSboy (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 10:38 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

at least .2 seconds
Old 02-25-21, 11:35 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Does that improve ur 0-60 time though?

Yes because I have more time to practice and it makes her feel more confident And yes...that .2 seconds for less wind drag

Actually I was bad...two kids were sorta playing next to me the other day at a stop light like they were gonna race each other. One took off and I let them have about a hood length for a few hundred feet but then I just floored it. I should have kept it closer - the next light they didn't even try.
Old 02-25-21, 12:37 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Wow the exterior of that car wash looks better than some of my local banks
The following users liked this post:
LexusGSboy (02-25-21)