GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Removing paint from factory chrome

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 03:57 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing paint from factory chrome

So I got my car used and discovered that the wheels that came on my F-Sport was replaced with factory chrome. No idea why the dealer did this but they did.

I was told I can’t get the damage to the wheel repaired because it’s chrome. So I want to replace the wheel but don’t want to take the new wheel to get it painted. Anyone know or have removed the paint without damage to the chrome? I’m just going to have chrome all around.
Old 02-28-21, 08:49 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

That's some nasty curb rash
Old 03-01-21, 03:24 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

You’ll probably be better off buying a used wheel than messing around trying to fix that one. Paint isn’t going to stick well to chrome.
Old 03-01-21, 04:08 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by peasodos
You’ll probably be better off buying a used wheel than messing around trying to fix that one. Paint isn’t going to stick well to chrome.
That’s what I’m trying to do. The other 3 wheels are painted as well. Before I buy a new wheel I want to remove the paint on them and then get another wheel. Otherwise I would have to find someone to paint the new wheel.
Old 03-01-21, 04:30 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dangit2001
That’s what I’m trying to do. The other 3 wheels are painted as well. Before I buy a new wheel I want to remove the paint on them and then get another wheel. Otherwise I would have to find someone to paint the new wheel.
I think sooner or later you'll notice the paint start chipping off on all these wheels. Also if you get one wheel repainted it might not match the other ones since it's not the oem paint job.

My guess is the wheels were curb rashed, and they decided to repair and cover it up with a paint job as a quick fix to sell the car You can't fix curb rashed chrome, plating doesn't stick to body filler. So even if you strip the paint off the other wheels you might uncover some previously repaired curb rash.
Old 03-01-21, 05:19 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

I think sooner or later you'll notice the paint start chipping off on all these wheels. Also if you get one wheel repainted it might not match the other ones since it's not the oem paint job.

My guess is the wheels were curb rashed, and they decided to repair and cover it up with a paint job as a quick fix to sell the car You can't fix curb rashed chrome, plating doesn't stick to body filler. So even if you strip the paint off the other wheels you might uncover some previously repaired curb rash.
I think I need to clear something up. I am not trying to paint the wheel. I want to strip the paint so that the wheels will be chrome. The previous owner painted over the chrome. Since I have curb rash on one wheel. I want to make sure I can remove the paint on the rest of the wheels so I can order another chrome wheel to have a matching set. Otherwise I am going to look for a used set of wheels.
Old 03-01-21, 06:16 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dangit2001
I think I need to clear something up. I am not trying to paint the wheel. I want to strip the paint so that the wheels will be chrome. The previous owner painted over the chrome. Since I have curb rash on one wheel. I want to make sure I can remove the paint on the rest of the wheels so I can order another chrome wheel to have a matching set. Otherwise I am going to look for a used set of wheels.
What I was saying is you might strip the paint and find other repairs on other wheels.

Not sure if there is any way to easily strip the paint, goodluck.
Old 03-01-21, 07:19 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

What I was saying is you might strip the paint and find other repairs on other wheels.

Not sure if there is any way to easily strip the paint, goodluck.
Oh okay I understand what your saying. I’ll have to cross my finger and hope that if I can remove the paint from the other wheels I don’t find any damage. Otherwise I’ll have to get another set of wheels.
Old 03-01-21, 10:50 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Just use paint stripper to remove the paint. The orange kind from Home Depot, its not as strong as the airplane one, but should do the job. I myself wouldn't bother, it might take up too much time and the end result might not be good enough. Get a whole new/used set.

Last edited by kietlander; 03-01-21 at 10:53 PM.