GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Toyota dealer for maintenance bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 07:52 AM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Toyota dealer for maintenance bad idea?

If this has been discussed, can someone share the thread, I search and couldn't find it.

Anyhow, I don't have a problem taking my car to a Lexus dealer for whatever is needed, but I can't help to wonder if it's a good or bad idea since the GS platform is not shared with any Toyota in particular. Correct me if I'm wrong, some toyota models share the 3.5 engine,( i think some tacomas do) but essentially is not like an ES that it's basically a Camry. I'm sure that there are a lot of competent techs at Toyota dealers that could work on the GS, no doubt. But is it a good idea to take the GS to a Toyota dealer for maintenance in order to save some? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-21, 08:59 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Yeah no problem getting it serviced at the Toyota dealer. There is nothing particularly special about this motor, same one used in plenty of Toyotas. All the maintenance is basically the same and Toyota/Lexus all use the same dealer software to diagnose, ect. Also in most cases the Lexus and Toyota dealer is owned by the same entity. Just don't expect them to wash your car, have nice lounge snacks...
The following 3 users liked this post by peasodos:
2GR (03-06-21), GxPrince (03-10-21), Im2bz2p345 (03-06-21)
Old 03-06-21, 10:22 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts

If you need the basics, sure. They don't follow everything (dealer dependent) that a Lexus service might entail. I know my bro in law does most of his servicing at Toyota and when he actually needs help. Lexus is his go too. I personally deal with Lexus for most, not all my services. But 20 years at one place kinda lends you some perks

ES hasn't shared the platform with the Camry for the last two gens, more closely related to the Avalon
Old 03-07-21, 12:00 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Don't expect your Toyota dealer to have OEM brake rotors or brakes for your GS in stock. So it depends. Techstream works across Toyota and Lexus so no problem with programming or diagnostic.
Old 03-08-21, 06:29 AM
dbcolli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 13 F sport to my local Toyota for an oil change only to find a about a quart of oil on my garage floor the next morning. I took it back to the dealer and was given a BS explanation as to why it happened. I was given a complementary oil change for my next oil change which I have done already with no problems.
Old 03-08-21, 08:32 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take it to a Toyota dealership if its a reputable one. Its a good alternative to getting oil changes and basic maintence done if you Lexus dealer is far for you.
Old 03-08-21, 09:39 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I take all my cars to my local Toyota to be serviced. I've met the Service director and a few Shop Techs. The one who always works on my car is a long time experience Toyota Master Tech. Every now and then I give him a $10 or $20 and tell him to buy some lunch on me. I recently had new struts installed that I gave them my own parts. I asked about getting some New Akebono Brake pads I had I needed installed , and they because they were doing the Struts and other, they said they would just install them for Free! I also have them service my Wifey's Kia and Daughters Accord. If I want to see while my cars on the lift they walk me back there with no problem to look. They normally disappear while I'm looking and have to look for them to ask a questions and they don't guard dog me under my car lol!

Been using them for years now after Lexus Warranty no cost is over. Toyota sent me a points thing with Free service gift checks. Its a Toyota program. I think I got 4 $20 checks from them for any service, works like cash. They don't wash the car, but that's good I didn't let Lexus dealer wash it either. They have coffee, Wi-Fi, and a waiting room that's not a great as Lexus but I don't care, I always drop off my cars anyway. The things I get there are priced great. For example to do the correct procedure for the Tranny drain and fill ( I give them my own two WM $18 Bottles of Valvoline Full synthetic Tans fluid). They charge a Toyota service code like $65 its drain, check temp, measure, drive.

I guess it just depends on what Toyota Dealer and the relationship you have with them. Mine is a 10+. I've been telling ppl in the 6th Gen ES forum about Toyota service for years. They Serviced my GS460 and SC400 years back. I love my 3 Lexus Dealers around me but just cant justify the cost vs Toyota, and sometimes the I work at Lexus attitudes. $ Warranty = Lexus,.........$ My pocket = Toyota. Most depends on what Tech works on your car in any shop.
The following users liked this post:
Mewannalex (03-12-21)
Old 03-08-21, 11:07 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Toyota dealerships can certainly service the GS or any Lexus - i think the main difference is the dealership experience which can be hit or miss even at the Luxury dealerships. If the service department is quality and the mechanics know their job (and have the diagnostic tools/manuals/OEM how to's), it really doesn't matter what the brand is on the dealership or even on the local service shop. However, I don't believe warranty work or recalls can be done by Toyota for Lexus vehicles.

I always had my previous '01 GS serviced at my local mechanic. As my local guy has moved on from having his own shop, i've been taking my current 4GS to the dealership for certain things and other times to my new local guy. I actually will need a few things done on my GS and spoke to my Lexus service advisor, but just to give you an idea of the costs of Lexus dealership service vs my local mechanic:

Lexus dealership:
Synthetic Oil/Filter Change: $119+tax
Mounting/Balancing New Tires/Discard old tires: $140+tax
Alignment: $169+tax
Loaner: Free
Snacks: Free
Distance: 50min drive
--------------------------
Total Cost: ~$450

Local Mechanic:
Synthetic Oil/Filter Change: $70
Mounting/Balancing New Tires/Discard old tires: $50
Alignment: $75
Loaner: NOPE
Snacks: At the bodega next door
Distance: 15min drive
-----------------------------------------
Total Cost: ~$200

I imagine that a toyota dealership would charge less than the Lexus dealership for these very same services. For me, I trust both the dealership and my local guy, its just a matter of paying a little more and spending my time to if I really want the dealership experience (loaner/snacks/nice waiting area/wifi) vs saving time/coin with my local guy and not having the extras.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
Im2bz2p345 (03-08-21), Mewannalex (03-12-21)