GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Loud creak in roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 05:17 PM
Ktrav103
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Loud creak in roof

Hey everyone, really need some help here. I have a 2019 GS F Sport. I have a loud (very loud at times) creak from the roof when slowly turning and going up or down steep inclines. It’s a creaking above my head and it it driving me nuts!!
I have seen the TSB for the rattling from the sunroof where replacing the weatherstrip on the glass fixes it. This definitely is not that... it happens more so the first couple turns of the day. I have dropped my headliner a bit on one side and looked around a bit. I was a tech at a dealership for 20 years so I’m no stranger to these type of things. However as I get older the less I want to mess with my own stuff. The car only has 12K miles and is under warranty. However I know how difficult these types of problems are and how much additional damage can be made pursuing this creak.
so I am wanting to see if anyone knows a fix or had a similar issue???
I absolutely love this car EXCEPT for this annoying noise.
let me know what y’all think or if there’s any TSB’s
any guidance would be appreciated!

thanks everyone
The following users liked this post:
sbowden99 (05-19-24)
Old 03-09-21, 07:50 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,174 Likes on 865 Posts

One thing to try is to open your sunroof and see if the problem still happens. I think when the sunroof is fully opened, the noise may not be apparent as the position of the roof, considering the rails/track and the stiffness of the weatherstrip will be different.

Even if the noise is still there when the sunroof is open, I would say to start with the sunroof weatherstrip. Its essentially the most straightforward, cheapest and least time consuming starting point. If you're still under warranty, obviously the dealer will have to take a look but sometimes (as you know) it can lead to more headaches than its worth.

Many members mentioned that it fixes any excess wind noise AND any clunkings sounds they heard when turning, going over bumps, etc. Maybe you saw this already but here is the motherload thread with everyone's experience with switching the sunroof seal:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-the-fix.html
Old 06-25-22, 07:34 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktrav103
Hey everyone, really need some help here. I have a 2019 GS F Sport. I have a loud (very loud at times) creak from the roof when slowly turning and going up or down steep inclines. It’s a creaking above my head and it it driving me nuts!!
I have seen the TSB for the rattling from the sunroof where replacing the weatherstrip on the glass fixes it. This definitely is not that... it happens more so the first couple turns of the day. I have dropped my headliner a bit on one side and looked around a bit. I was a tech at a dealership for 20 years so I’m no stranger to these type of things. However as I get older the less I want to mess with my own stuff. The car only has 12K miles and is under warranty. However I know how difficult these types of problems are and how much additional damage can be made pursuing this creak.

thanks everyone
My 2018 has the same issue. Every time I drop it off, the tech says he can't hear it. I have a service history filled with "customer complains of sound in sunroof - unable to replicate". Very frustrating - I have an L Certified warranty and I would really like to get this resolved before it expires. It is temperature sensitive, and holding the sunroof glass does not have any effect. It either goes away or is hidden when the sunshade is closed, and I cannot hear it when the sunroof is open. It shows up when the chassis experiences torsional stress - tight turns or uneven road.

Honestly, I can't hear it if the radio is on, but sometimes I like to drive with the stereo off. I want the dealer to drop the headliner and check the sunroof rails and tighten any loose hardware, but they refuse to do it if they can't detect the issue.
Old 06-26-22, 05:25 AM
Ktrav103
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
My 2018 has the same issue. Every time I drop it off, the tech says he can't hear it. I have a service history filled with "customer complains of sound in sunroof - unable to replicate". Very frustrating - I have an L Certified warranty and I would really like to get this resolved before it expires. It is temperature sensitive, and holding the sunroof glass does not have any effect. It either goes away or is hidden when the sunshade is closed, and I cannot hear it when the sunroof is open. It shows up when the chassis experiences torsional stress - tight turns or uneven road.

Honestly, I can't hear it if the radio is on, but sometimes I like to drive with the stereo off. I want the dealer to drop the headliner and check the sunroof rails and tighten any loose hardware, but they refuse to do it if they can't detect the issue.
What you’re describing is exactly what’s going on with mine. It really drives me nuts. However this is the conclusion I’ve come to…. Like you said you can hardly hear it and if the radio is on you can’t.
I am in the automotive business and I know what it takes to drop the headliner, if you want to remove the headliner than the windshield has to come out, if you take the windshield out you have to recalibrate the lane departure. Then you have all the clips and trim pieces that are going to break… is the tech going to replace every piece of trim and every broken clip?? The answer is no…. So there’s a huge chance to develop another sounds, creak, rattle, buzz, windshield leak or whatever. You get my point…. I’ve just learned to think that our cars have such a badass firm chassis design that this is a by product of that. I’d rather leave everything intact in the interior and just move on with the little creak.
hope this helps!
Old 06-26-22, 09:56 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 284 Likes on 244 Posts

Isn’t that from the body of the car flexing?
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (06-28-22)
Old 06-26-22, 07:42 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

if you want to remove the headliner than the windshield has to come out

Old 06-27-22, 03:55 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts

What you’re describing is exactly what’s going on with mine. It really drives me nuts. However this is the conclusion I’ve come to…. Like you said you can hardly hear it and if the radio is on you can’t.
I am in the automotive business and I know what it takes to drop the headliner, if you want to remove the headliner than the windshield has to come out, if you take the windshield out you have to recalibrate the lane departure. Then you have all the clips and trim pieces that are going to break… is the tech going to replace every piece of trim and every broken clip?? The answer is no…. So there’s a huge chance to develop another sounds, creak, rattle, buzz, windshield leak or whatever. You get my point…. I’ve just learned to think that our cars have such a badass firm chassis design that this is a by product of that. I’d rather leave everything intact in the interior and just move on with the little creak.
hope this helps!
i really want to know wat automotive business u in that have to take the windshield out to take the headliner out
Old 06-27-22, 08:29 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
Isn’t that from the body of the car flexing?
Yes, my 2011 Camry used to this too after I lowered it. I guess it created too much stress on the chassis when going in a driveway at an angle. I think it was from the sunroof but never got a chance to fix it. Sounded like the whole roof was going to fall off.
Old 06-27-22, 11:17 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 284 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yes, my 2011 Camry used to this too after I lowered it. I guess it created too much stress on the chassis when going in a driveway at an angle. I think it was from the sunroof but never got a chance to fix it. Sounded like the whole roof was going to fall off.
I’m not sure there is a fix. Stuff chassis= more body flex
Old 06-27-22, 11:19 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
I’m not sure there is a fix. Stuff chassis= more body flex
Yeah, that's why I don't mess with suspension stuff anymore, especially this GS.
Old 06-28-22, 09:55 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks everyone
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10652668

Scroll up to post 122 and you'll see I had the same symptoms.

Old 06-29-22, 05:56 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by rog1206
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10652668

Scroll up to post 122 and you'll see I had the same symptoms.
Was this a permanent fix?
Old 06-29-22, 06:00 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

I have the same noise occasionally in my 2020. Had the same thing in my 17. I think it’s just body flex. I guess I gave up and accepted it.
Old 06-29-22, 07:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Worth checking out this video from CCN. If the car didn't do it new, it shouldn't do it. I'm guessing something that deteriorates, like a seal, needs replacing. Seems to be common on Lexus models...

Old 06-29-22, 12:30 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,422 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I thought I remembered seeing post where some of the newer 2016 on up found that the frame and arms pieces were broken also causing this on one side up in the Sunroof glass frame.

Quick Reply: Loud creak in roof