GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

KYB Gas-a-Just shocks/struts AVS 3 week Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-21, 05:53 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
What I was told was correct for my car and Year by KYB. They have a customer service support tel# you can look up, call and ask.

This is what I ordered for all 4.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. Those are the part numbers I found on KYB's site. You listed the rear ones twice though and not the right front. For some reason I was having trouble finding them on on Amazon earlier
Old 03-14-21, 06:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Thanks. Those are the part numbers I found on KYB's site. You listed the rear ones twice though and not the right front. For some reason I was having trouble finding them on on Amazon earlier
Should be: There is a left and right difference front or back.

KYB 7240000 Gas-a-just Gas Shock

KYB 7210000 Gas-a-just Gas Strut

KYB 7210001 Gas-a-just Gas Strut

Old 03-14-21, 08:34 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone put Tein Flex Z AVS instead of the KYB? Is it an easier install (no spring compression necessary).
Old 03-15-21, 05:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I also added the Protection plan. Just in case they go bad again, at least I wont be paying for the Struts again anytime soon.
Old 03-15-21, 07:41 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Pete thanks for the pm's you sent me and questions you answered for me on the Struts and years. KYB did not tell me what changes they made. I'm guessing they improved the failure problems in some way. Those new Struts I have are very firm but smooth. Being they are new I am very careful on break-in. They are getting better everyday riding smoother. Seems the more weight the smoother they are. They do corner great though.

I do wish everyone who has this problems reports it to Dealers and calls Lexus. Again owning many Lexus I know Struts have a limited life but I have never had leaking failing Struts. As I said before I had a 2013 ES350 U\L I drove the crap out of loaded up often. It had 148k. No strut noise, No leak, No problem still drove like new.
Maybe I got lucky but on two of my prior cars - Toyota Tercel and Nissan Maxima - I never replaced shocks until over 150,000 miles. The Tercel were shot and I replaced them with KYBs which I really liked. I replaced the Maxima’s with Tokicos which I liked as well. Didn’t have to replace shocks on my BMW which I had for a little over 200,000 miles.

Old 03-16-21, 07:07 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Angry

Last night I Googled and found so many complains about this 4th Gen GS Strut failure problem. Cars like mine on up with 30k miles. I hope and wish that everyone checks and if you have this problem we all call Lexus and report it. This should not be happening this Pre mature. And it's not just the earlier Models. My car only had 36k, I do not have bigger wheels or Tires, no springs or any Suspension mods to my car. I also Baby my car over bumps and speed bumps.

We should start a "Call Lexus Corporate" early Strut Fail Thread. Then send them the link so they cant say its normal. This should not be 4th Gen GS Owners problem to deal with a unnecessary problem. If you don't have the problem now... don't worry because there is a very good chance you will. Sorry but it just Ticks me off!
Old 03-16-21, 11:00 AM
thallium
Intermediate

I hope mine don't go bad. I've aot almost 90k miles so far and I don't have any problems yet. One thing I was wondering about was from the pics of these I couldn't tell what kind of connection there is for the AVS. What is under the black caps on the shock towers? Is it a servo that turns a dial on the shock?
Old 03-16-21, 11:44 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Should be: There is a left and right difference front or back.

KYB 7240000 Gas-a-just Gas Shock

KYB 7210000 Gas-a-just Gas Strut

KYB 7210001 Gas-a-just Gas Strut

Are you AWD or RWD?
Old 03-16-21, 12:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrplesh
Are you AWD or RWD?
I have a Luxury Package AVS RWD.

I think they have a AWD option too.
Old 03-16-21, 12:06 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a Luxury Package AVS RWD.

I think they have a AWD option too.
I saw the AWD options for the fronts, I think the rears stay the same

KYB 7210002 Gas-a-just Gas Strut Front Right AWD

KYB 7210003 Gas-a-just Gas Strut Front Left AWD

Old 03-25-21, 02:24 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Can anyone explain how the AVS adjust these shocks? How does the car interface with the shock to adjust them?

I did a rotation recently and the rear shock tubes were coated in oil. It's not very fresh and was covered in dirt. I cleaned it off mostly and will see how long it takes to get oily again. I have about 90k miles now but I don't notice any bad performance of the shocks yet. The tires were not cupped which can be a symptom of bad shocks. Given how the rear shocks are not struts they seem fairly easy to replace other than removing paneling in the trunk to get to the shock mounts.

Has anyone replaced all four shocks themselves that could share the ease or difficulty with the job?
Old 03-25-21, 03:47 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm sure this is going to be on my list in the near future. After I get the sunroof to stop rattling, I can trace the other noises I may be hearing. The sunroof is the noisiest at the moment.
Old 03-25-21, 03:49 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Can anyone explain how the AVS adjust these shocks? How does the car interface with the shock to adjust them?
There's a motor on top of the shaft that turns one way or the other for soft/firm.
Old 03-25-21, 04:02 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 00goobs
There's a motor on top of the shaft that turns one way or the other for soft/firm.
Is there any alignment or calibration that must be done or will the car auto-calibrate?
Old 03-25-21, 05:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 00goobs
I asked KYB about how it works too. I think they told me that something turns and limits the Strut Fluid to make the Struts firmer or softer.

Quick Reply: KYB Gas-a-Just shocks/struts AVS 3 week Review