GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 GS 350 unstable drive wobbles on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-23, 01:50 PM
petr4271
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@Mangsailor - Look at THIS It may be of interest to you an maybe others...
Yes, just like I said, even in your thread many owners complain about iner tire wear. That indicates front TOE out, which causes all above.
Old 01-25-23, 02:08 PM
7eight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the printout from my most recent alignment, would anything stick out to be incorrect or the potential culprit for my issues? I've given up on them since they all claimed to fix something from the previous alignment but none of the shops have made a difference, will try once more at a dealer.

Last edited by 7eight; 01-25-23 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-25-23, 05:28 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 7eight
This is the printout from my most recent alignment, would anything stick out to be incorrect or the potential culprit for my issues? I've given up on them since they all claimed to fix something from the previous alignment but none of the shops have made a difference, will try once more at a dealer.

Sir, Buy these to solve your problem.
https://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lowe...isfxlca002.htm

I dunno why this not the default fix offered for this issue with these cars.
Has no one noticed, none of us with these on our cars have this problem?
Old 01-25-23, 05:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,392 Likes on 1,099 Posts

b/c beat me to it again, spot on. I did say it a few post ago. Here's some addition info. It may vary sligthly but it's why you may have this problem.

First if you have this problem you should get the GS on a lift looked at and checked out by a Toyota or Lexus Master Tech cert in Supension. Need to do a good inspection of your under componets and do some pry bar lifting and moving of joints, bushings, and attachement to confirm they are all good and within specs. ( I say this because if you have had ongoing problems, it would be a waste of time to go to "Tires and Everything we charge shop" and get a wheel Alightment. A Wheel Alightment should not Align with bad componets but you know it's only as good as a Operator and thier equiptment that will still take your CC anyway.

After confirming, on a lift. If you do have a Alightment done go to Toyota/Lexus. Yes "Tires and Everything" has a Alightment Machine too.When was it last Calibrated? Yes they must all have regular Calibrations to be doing Alignments accuratly. Same with Tire Balance machines. Toy/Lex has contracts to keep thiers calibrated. =

Now need to have done -Calibrate VGRS + YAW RATE SENSOR
Calibrate LDH (Lexus Dynamic handling system)
I've said this before in many Threads. I always make sure Toy/Lex does this after. (post # 22)

Last is what I said in Post #22 of this thread - "Depending on the miles and/or any other aftermarket suspension wheel tire Mods on it, or not. It's either the VGRS, or the Steering Rack systems."
(b/c just pointed it out....again.) Common Toy/Lex Problem
Posting here about this wandering and Steering problem you have? Just choose, the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd thing I just said as 100% the problem. And/or one of them, two of them, or all three of the above I just explained.

Post in this Thread # 22, 24, and 43 are the Answer. "Do this, Buy this, I did this", = are all a waste of time and $$$$.

For the Record if anyone else is looking for the Answer. It's just that simple.

Last edited by jgscott; 01-25-23 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Grammer
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (01-26-23)
Old 01-25-23, 07:30 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@Mangsailor - Look at THIS It may be of interest to you an maybe others...
So Either the recirculating ball assembly is wearing out, the thread is wearing out, or the lock ring which keeps the double taper roller bearing assembly snug and preloaded is "loose" (bearings are wearing out).

I'd really like to get my hands on a rack that's puked and take a look if I ever had the chance. Sounds like a fun thing to tear into.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (01-26-23)
Old 01-26-23, 08:15 AM
Samson
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thought I'd jump in with a "me too" on this one. 2014 base RWD with 83k. Fresh Lexus dealer alignment, new tires, no issues noted during alignment. My current issue is that when going over a rise in the road with the wheel slightly turned (think an intersection at the crest of a hill and on a slight curve), the steering is reluctant to return to center. There's a very subtle notch/indexed resistance that I have to overcome to turn the wheel back straight, and then all is normal. This only seems to happen when the front suspension is unloaded and the steering wheel is turned, even slightly. It feels like something is catching somewhere. Worn bushings causing too much movement somewhere? I have no idea. This car doesn't have variable ratio steering, so can't calibrate that. I guess the next step is to take it in for a more thorough front end inspection... or just deal with it until it gets worse.
Old 01-26-23, 08:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
So Either the recirculating ball assembly is wearing out, the thread is wearing out, or the lock ring which keeps the double taper roller bearing assembly snug and preloaded is "loose" (bearings are wearing out).

I'd really like to get my hands on a rack that's puked and take a look if I ever had the chance. Sounds like a fun thing to tear into.
@Mangsailor - Yes, it would be interesting to find out what degradation had taken place with the steering rack to bring about the symptoms that some people are experiencing with what may be a defective or failing steering rack.

The 2013 GS 350 I referenced had pretty low mileage as I recall. It was many years ago (so I may be conflating some similar steering-related complaint type threads here on Club Lexus) but I recall reading the car owner's complaint about the car's tendency to wander and the steering wheel catch or bind while being driving and thus the car was hazardous and unsafe to drive.

What I found most interesting about that car was that Lexus waited many, many months (almost a year I think it was) before finally authorizing one of their Lexus dealership's service centers to replace the steering rack and giving it a 'Lemon' Title' and auctioning it off to get rid of it. There is no doubt that Lexus bought back that particular 2013 GS 350 and finally replaced the steering rack, then resold it at auction with a 'Lemon Title', which removed the manufacturer of any liability.

It would be helpful if there was a national database of all vehicles (by brand, model, date and VIN) in which car manufacturers have authorized a vehicle to be re-titled with a 'Lemon Title'...and how it was disposed of (e.g. destroyed, auctioned, etc.) and if it was sold at auction, the name and location of the auction facility.
Old 01-26-23, 06:17 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I see few people mentioned vgrs but awd f sport doesnt have vgrs. The only one with vgrs is rwd f sport.
Old 01-27-23, 09:14 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott

Post in this Thread # 22, 24, and 43 are the Answer. "Do this, Buy this, I did this", = are all a waste of time and $$$$.

For the Record if anyone else is looking for the Answer. It's just that simple.
Post 24 about calibration of VGRS, Yaw and LDHS, I assume I would be able to do this in techstream?
Old 01-27-23, 02:19 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MX73
Post 24 about calibration of VGRS, Yaw and LDHS, I assume I would be able to do this in techstream?
Yes that's the only place I know you can do it with.
Old 02-25-23, 09:05 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Getting ready to sell mine with just 53000 miles. Love the car but that wobble is driving me crazy
Old 02-26-23, 07:57 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cal916
Getting ready to sell mine with just 53000 miles. Love the car but that wobble is driving me crazy
What did the shop ever find out? Did you have the calibration of VGRS, Yaw and LDHS done?
Old 02-27-23, 06:33 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
What did the shop ever find out? Did you have the calibration of VGRS, Yaw and LDHS done?
this lexus that we have here doesn't know what the hell there doing. Keep saying everything is good when i know it not. New tech cant troubleshoot without computer telling them something wrong.
Old 09-17-23, 02:15 PM
7eight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the gsf/rcf lca bushings installed at the dealer and still like same slight pull left on the highway after they did an alignment and wheel balancing, think I need to go back and get them to look into the vgrs reset/calibration.

just to be clear would all GS350 f sport RWD have the vgrs system?
Old 09-17-23, 05:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 7eight
Had the gsf/rcf lca bushings installed at the dealer and still like same slight pull left on the highway after they did an alignment and wheel balancing, think I need to go back and get them to look into the vgrs reset/calibration.

just to be clear would all GS350 f sport RWD have the vgrs system?

Yes it should be there for all GS350's 4th Gen.