GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 GS 350 unstable drive wobbles on the road

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 08:12 PM
Artem777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 GS 350 unstable drive wobbles on the road

I have a 2015 GS350 AWD f-sport, very suddenly one day i started feeling like the steering got too lose and has to much play wandering left to right and not being able to drive in straight line i went and got an alignment was told it wasnt too much off and the ball joints and suspension overall seemed fine however nothing changed alignment didnt solve the issue

couple weeks later went to get it diagnosed at a local shop was told that shocks will probably need to be replaced soon along with control arms and tires are in pretty bad shape and need to be replaced as well and most likely 70% of what im experiencing with the car is caused by tires. Today I bought a new set of tires and nothing changed at all. Was driving on the highway today with a pretty strong wind and the car was all over the place couldnt keep it to drive straight was constantly swaying left and right. Not sure what to do at this point.

Previously owned a 08 GS and the shocks were really bad at one point and so were the tires. I believe a lot worse then on this 2015 model and it still never done anything like that felt extremely rough going over bumps but definitely did not wobble left and right like this.

Also when driving at normal speed one the road I notice the car pulling mostly to the right..If someone has any idea please help out

Another question not very relevant but when i go through dashboard display options i dont see Tire pressure display it is simply just not there, the sensors and all 4 tires were synced and seem to work because when theres a low tire i do get a low tire warning but doesn’t specify which tire couldnt find any similar issues on the forum...the tpms just is t there when i know the 2015 gs’s all have that option

Last edited by Artem777; 03-11-21 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 12:50 AM
Lead Lap

Received 786 Likes on 533 Posts

Have a read of this thread. Does it sound like the issue you're having? Or unrelated?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lem-16-gs.html
Old 03-12-21, 01:06 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

On my 2013 F-sport, the variable gear ratio steering can become offset and corrects itself when the car is started.

If your suspension components and tires are all in good shape, I would suspect the VGRS may be an issue. If you have rear steering, I would check on that as well.

When you feel your car is not steering/ handling well, try switching in and out of Sport-S+ mode.

Last edited by 00goobs; 03-12-21 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 10:07 AM
Artem777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 703
Have a read of this thread. Does it sound like the issue you're having? Or unrelated?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lem-16-gs.html
no that seems like a different issue, i have control of the steering at all times it just very loose and wobbly and pulls me to different sides
Old 03-12-21, 12:54 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Artem777
no that seems like a different issue, i have control of the steering at all times it just very loose and wobbly and pulls me to different sides
Are there any DTC's with the VGRS or the Power Steering ECU? It might be the Power Steering Unit is sensing more torque from the steering wheel than there actually is, therefore over turning the wheels.

If you don't have your hands on the steering wheel, does the car travel straight?

Old 03-12-21, 05:40 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Am having the same problem but i have a 2018 f sport. I took it to lexus so many time and they keep telling me that's the way it drive. I say bull ****. My 2013 never drove like that.
Old 03-12-21, 06:20 PM
Artem777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 703
Are there any DTC's with the VGRS or the Power Steering ECU? It might be the Power Steering Unit is sensing more torque from the steering wheel than there actually is, therefore over turning the wheels.

If you don't have your hands on the steering wheel, does the car travel straight?
Theres no lights on the dashboard and I actually got an alignment today a more accurate one and that still didnt fix it when i drive straight the car most of pulls the right most of the time but the steering is so lose that any imperfections on the road causes it to change direction. How do i check if there’s anything wrong with eps ecu?
Old 03-12-21, 06:25 PM
Artem777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 00goobs
On my 2013 F-sport, the variable gear ratio steering can become offset and corrects itself when the car is started.

If your suspension components and tires are all in good shape, I would suspect the VGRS may be an issue. If you have rear steering, I would check on that as well.

When you feel your car is not steering/ handling well, try switching in and out of Sport-S+ mode.
I have the AWD one and i tried switching between modes nothing changed and i feel it all the time
Old 03-12-21, 06:27 PM
Artem777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cal916
Am having the same problem but i have a 2018 f sport. I took it to lexus so many time and they keep telling me that's the way it drive. I say bull ****. My 2013 never drove like that.
Yeah mine was fine it happened all of sudden and i keep getting it diagnosed and they cant find nothing. Does yr feel really wobbly on the road and loose steering as well?
Old 03-12-21, 08:34 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,161 Likes on 857 Posts

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Originally, you mentioned that you got an alignment done and it didn't help. Another shop you mentioned said that some suspension components are in need of replacement but that new tires would help - but new tires didn't help either.

-Suspension components can start showing trouble with the AVS equipped F-Sports (even AWD) faster than normal since they are constantly adjusting. A bad control arm or ball joint could be a problem - have a tech look carefully at ALL suspension components up front.

-Out of round wheels can cause the steering to feel wobbly, shaky or veer one way. Have them remove the tires and spin the wheels on the machine to see if they wobble/are bent.

-Disconnect the battery for 10min. Connect it, start it back up and take it for a drive to see if that helps reset the ECU and addresses the steering problem.

-Is it Lexus that is diagnosing and fixing the car or a combination of local and Lexus dealer? If its Lexus, request the technician drive the car with you in it so you can describe the problem clearly and see if they can reproduce the issue. Take it to another Lexus dealership if the first one cannot help.

-For TPMS, i'm not sure if the GS was equipped with them for Canadian spec F-Sports - they guys who replaced your tires can confirm if it had a sensor on each tire. Its possible you may have a low tire pressure warning light, but not individual pressure read-outs on each tire. Members from Canada mentioning the individual pressure for feature is not there:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8468434
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8971202
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
CaviFSport (07-11-22), Kov (09-20-23)
Old 03-12-21, 09:34 PM
Artem777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Originally, you mentioned that you got an alignment done and it didn't help. Another shop you mentioned said that some suspension components are in need of replacement but that new tires would help - but new tires didn't help either.

-Suspension components can start showing trouble with the AVS equipped F-Sports (even AWD) faster than normal since they are constantly adjusting. A bad control arm or ball joint could be a problem - have a tech look carefully at ALL suspension components up front.

-Out of round wheels can cause the steering to feel wobbly, shaky or veer one way. Have them remove the tires and spin the wheels on the machine to see if they wobble/are bent.

-Disconnect the battery for 10min. Connect it, start it back up and take it for a drive to see if that helps reset the ECU and addresses the steering problem.

-Is it Lexus that is diagnosing and fixing the car or a combination of local and Lexus dealer? If its Lexus, request the technician drive the car with you in it so you can describe the problem clearly and see if they can reproduce the issue. Take it to another Lexus dealership if the first one cannot help.

-For TPMS, i'm not sure if the GS was equipped with them for Canadian spec F-Sports - they guys who replaced your tires can confirm if it had a sensor on each tire. Its possible you may have a low tire pressure warning light, but not individual pressure read-outs on each tire. Members from Canada mentioning the individual pressure for feature is not there:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8468434
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8971202
Thanks for all the info and taking your time to help. ill definitely try disconnecting the battery and get suspension components checked out more carefully but as far as i know and been told by 3 or 4 different shops the ball joints are fine they couldnt see anything wrong with those. However one of the shops did tell me that struts might need to be replaced soon along with control arms. But then again my 08 with all those components such as struts and control arms being in a lot worse condition didnt wobble around like that or pull me to the side so bad.

You’ve mentioned the AVS do you know if all awd f sports equipment with AVS? Im not sure if mine is

Ill check for a bent wheel but if that was the case wouldnt it be more of vibration and shaking type of feel opposed to wobble and loose steering?

And no I havnt gone to lexus dealer yet its the local shops whos been doing diagnostics

Could disconnecting the battery actually help? Is that the only way to reset the power steering?
Old 03-12-21, 10:16 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,161 Likes on 857 Posts

Thanks for all the info and taking your time to help. ill definitely try disconnecting the battery and get suspension components checked out more carefully but as far as i know and been told by 3 or 4 different shops the ball joints are fine they couldnt see anything wrong with those. However one of the shops did tell me that struts might need to be replaced soon along with control arms. But then again my 08 with all those components such as struts and control arms being in a lot worse condition didnt wobble around like that or pull me to the side so bad.
You’ve mentioned the AVS do you know if all awd f sports equipment with AVS? Im not sure if mine is
Ill check for a bent wheel but if that was the case wouldnt it be more of vibration and shaking type of feel opposed to wobble and loose steering?
Could disconnecting the battery actually help? Is that the only way to reset the power steering?
-If you have Sport+ (available in both F sport and Lux pkg), you have the active variable suspension (AVS)
-Agreed: A bent wheel would be more vibration and shaking, but it can lead to misalignment and pull. Certainly can't hurt to have that checked along with the rest of the suspension.
-Your '08 GS is similar but certainly doesn't have the exact same OEM suspension setup - so its difficult to make an apples to apples comparison.
-As for disconnecting the battery, it may gave some insight if the problem goes away that it may be computer-related. It may only temporarily fix the problem though (or not at all!).
-I have heard of rare problems with tires that have a tread pattern that may cause a pull even after perfect alignment and no suspension related issues. I personally haven't had that problem with any OEM stock tire or with brands that i've used over the last decade: Dunlop/Pirelli/Cooper/Michelin.

I'm a firm believer that good local shops can diagnose and troubleshoot all types of issues - but in this case, its a safety concern and it should be looked at by a good Lexus service department if you aren't able to get it resolved with your local guys.

Old 03-14-21, 07:12 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah mine was fine it happened all of sudden and i keep getting it diagnosed and they cant find nothing. Does yr feel really wobbly on the road and loose steering as well?
yes and there time like the front right tire bounces. There time that the front brakes just grab. There is times that the car drives like it should. I think it something with the computer or sensor. Mechanic troubleshoot with computer this day and if a computer say there nothing wrong then they say there nothing wrong. Computer can be wrong . I sure miss the old days
Old 03-14-21, 10:39 PM
Lead Lap

Theres no lights on the dashboard and I actually got an alignment today a more accurate one and that still didnt fix it when i drive straight the car most of pulls the right most of the time but the steering is so lose that any imperfections on the road causes it to change direction. How do i check if there’s anything wrong with eps ecu?
have you tired driving without putting your hand on the steering wheel?
Old 03-14-21, 11:41 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Watch the wheels and suspension with the engine running and someone moving the steering wheel left-right-left-right a few times about an inch both ways. If the steering wheel moves and the wheels seem to stay still, there may be some slop or an issue with the steering components.

Quick Reply: 2015 GS 350 unstable drive wobbles on the road