GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 Lexus GS350 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21 | 06:25 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Default 2014 Lexus GS350 purchase

Hi guys,
I'm considering purchasing a used 2014 GS350 from a Toyota Dealer in Florida. The vehicle just traded in has 76,000 mi,one owner,and clean carfax. The original equipment includes an F-Sport Package,($5000) premium package, preferred accessory package. I would assume when the previous 1 owner bought the car new he wanted it completely completely loaded! The physical condition both interior and exterior is in Excellent condition. The Toyota dealer had there sister Lexus dealer do a 115 pt check on the car. They replaced the brakes and changed all fluids. I assume this is close to a top of the line GS back in 2014. They are asking $20,947 plus the B.S. doc fee $799, in addition to sales tax and about $ 400 for title,tags registration. I really like the car, but not at that price.
I did my due diligence on researching what the approximately paid on the trade in $16000, plus I gave them an additional $2000 for reconditioning fee and detailing. So I am estimating they are in for $18000 for their cost.
Their asking price in my mind is actually $21700 with the Dealer service/Doc fee of $799. I can't get them to remove the Doc fee, so I need to negotiate a lower asking price. I'm assuming an offer that allows them a 12%-13% total profit which includes the Doc fee is fair for both parties. So I won't pay more then $19600. not including the $799 Doc Fee they will add to that price.
S
o I need some opinions on 1. Does this seem like a good deal if I can get it for this Lexus GS,. 2 am I taking a risk buying it with 76000 miles on it, as far as future liability, Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
PS I am driving a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe sport 3.5 L engine, that is in excellent condition trouble free thus far at 80,000 mi.
Thanks

Last edited by vetdoc; 03-17-21 at 06:36 PM. Reason: adding some more info
Old 03-17-21 | 07:03 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

The mileage isn't a problem on the GS especially since the history is good. I have 61k on my 2013 AWD premium and no major issues since owning it now for 6yrs. Keep in mind that the RWD F-Sport has staggered wheels/tires and more expensive brakes/rotors. Be sure those are up to snuff because you could be looking at a couple of grand in just brakes/tires if you need to replace them soon. Take a good look at the wheels and make sure they are free from severe curb rash and ask them if they can confirm if they are true (not out of round).

Additionally, suspension components are priceir on the F-Sport as it has the AVS (adjustable variable suspension) where the suspension is constantly adjusting based on road conditions. With that amount of mileage, its a good idea to have the suspension inspected and a 15min+ test drive to see how the car feels might be very helpful/revealing.

Just to compare, here is an example of a 3-owner GS with the F-Sport package and AWD at a dealership near me with slightly less mileage and they are asking a couple hundred more than the car you're looking at: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2907/overview/

Since your car is a single owner that looked like they cared for the car, I would say the right offer is around $19,000 for the car. They may come back somewhere in the middle of that offer and their $20,987 ask...

Its a good deal as its very hard to find a 1-owner, great service history, accident free F-Sport GS for around $20k. Take your time during the inspection and test drive - good luck!
Old 03-17-21 | 07:26 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Hi Alex

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I definitely need to check out the brakes and tires. I asked the salesmen over the phone about the dealer website said new brakes. I wanted to know if that included new rotors or just pads. He said he didn't know but I'm going to ask him to look at the repair order from the service department. I'm going to get up to the dealer on Saturday to see the vehicle in person and test drive it. This dealer gives you 5 days to return the car with no peanalty fees. So if I wanted I could take he car to a Lexu dealer near me and have them do a CPO inspection for a few bucks $200 probably.

Thanks again Alex
Old 03-17-21 | 07:41 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vetdoc
Hi Alex

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I definitely need to check out the brakes and tires. I asked the salesmen over the phone about the dealer website said new brakes. I wanted to know if that included new rotors or just pads. He said he didn't know but I'm going to ask him to look at the repair order from the service department. I'm going to get up to the dealer on Saturday to see the vehicle in person and test drive it. This dealer gives you 5 days to return the car with no peanalty fees. So if I wanted I could take he car to a Lexu dealer near me and have them do a CPO inspection for a few bucks $200 probably.

Thanks again Alex
Its AJ by way...you're welcome - the GS is a great car - a real driver's car. Hope it works out!
Old 03-17-21 | 08:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Hi guys,
I'm considering purchasing a used 2014 GS350 from a Toyota Dealer in Florida. The vehicle just traded in has 76,000 mi,one owner,and clean carfax. The original equipment includes an F-Sport Package,($5000) premium package, preferred accessory package. I would assume when the previous 1 owner bought the car new he wanted it completely completely loaded! The physical condition both interior and exterior is in Excellent condition. The Toyota dealer had there sister Lexus dealer do a 115 pt check on the car. They replaced the brakes and changed all fluids. I assume this is close to a top of the line GS back in 2014. They are asking $20,947 plus the B.S. doc fee $799, in addition to sales tax and about $ 400 for title,tags registration. I really like the car, but not at that price.
I did my due diligence on researching what the approximately paid on the trade in $16000, plus I gave them an additional $2000 for reconditioning fee and detailing. So I am estimating they are in for $18000 for their cost.
Their asking price in my mind is actually $21700 with the Dealer service/Doc fee of $799. I can't get them to remove the Doc fee, so I need to negotiate a lower asking price. I'm assuming an offer that allows them a 12%-13% total profit which includes the Doc fee is fair for both parties. So I won't pay more then $19600. not including the $799 Doc Fee they will add to that price.
S
o I need some opinions on 1. Does this seem like a good deal if I can get it for this Lexus GS,. 2 am I taking a risk buying it with 76000 miles on it, as far as future liability, Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
PS I am driving a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe sport 3.5 L engine, that is in excellent condition trouble free thus far at 80,000 mi.
Thanks
Hi and Welcome. Make sure you have the Struts checked for leakage problems.

As far as opinions, on #2 for me to get a new to me car I would want less than 76k miles starting out. Sounds like you have time to shop and be patience for the right GS.
Old 03-17-21 | 08:20 PM
chinee
Racer

Looks to be in pretty good condition, especially the interior, https://www.autonationtoyotapinellas...04a8133805.htm
Register at Lexus Drivers and input the VIN. Looks like most of the maintenance took place at the dealer, but some items are missing, most noticeably brakes. Given the dealer pricing, it's understandable if the prior owner got the brakes done at an independent shop, so not alarming.
I think the price is high, but that's the market pricing on just about every preowned car out there. Autonation advertises no-haggle pricing on their preowned inventory so you will get some resistance to negotiating.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-21 | 08:25 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Sorry AJ I just glanced at your handle quickly lol
Thanks again.
Old 03-17-21 | 08:29 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Hi
Thanks for your suggestions. Im a little concerned about the mileage at the price their asking. I really liked the fact it had the FSport package, with 19" wheels.
Old 03-17-21 | 08:37 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Hi
It appears the selling dealer changed the front brakes and rotors on March 15,2021. I just saw that on the service history. I think the price is high considering they charge an additional $799 dealer fee on top of the advertised price. Yea I might not be able to negotiate with them, if not I'll walk. Im not in a hurry to buy, and I'm sure later model GS go on sale regularly. This car is a new trade in so maybe if it sits on the lot for 30-40 days they drop the price a thousand.
Thanks a lot.
Old 03-18-21 | 02:09 AM
Lead Lap

The lights have a yellow haze, so it might be parked outside quite often.
Old 03-18-21 | 05:36 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

I just picked up a 2013 F-Sport with around 32k miles from Carvana. One thing I recommend you do is take it for a test drive with the radio off and pull the moon roof cover back. I recently replaced the weather strip on the moon roof because it was worn. Did not notice any wind noise when I test drove the car because I had the cover closed. Also carefully inspect the wheels, I discovered that the previous owner had painted over the chrome wheels. To me the price is high and mileage is high. I would try to find another one with less miles. Good luck.
Old 03-18-21 | 07:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

If you have reservations about the car itself or the mileage, then move on and I'm sure you can find another.

However, if I found one that I thought was THE ONE, I wouldn't lose it over $800.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
JeffKeryk (03-18-21), LexusGSboy (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21 | 09:57 AM
LSSAH
Pit Crew

First of all, I would not WORRY about the mileage. The car you are looking at look exactly like mine 1 owner (older lady and well now 2 owners ) even same year, F sport, color except the one you looking at has no ML audio system. Other then that it look pretty much identical.

Just make sure you check the maintenance history first with LEXUS and the place that I purchased the car happen to be the same LEXUS dealership that original owner brought and maintenance her car

I got mine even at higher mileage than this at 80k mile now around 95k and I am not even have a single issue after about 1 year and 4 months of ownership. I paid around 22k with tax and all the crap fee out door.

The only other things I spend money on is regular oil change and major maintenance I just did before it hit 100k like spark plug, differential fluid, brake fluid, coolant fluid, tranny fluid change.

Good luck of finding your GS!

Last edited by LSSAH; 03-18-21 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-18-21 | 10:20 AM
MuaGS350
Pit Crew

Hi
It appears the selling dealer changed the front brakes and rotors on March 15,2021. I just saw that on the service history. I think the price is high considering they charge an additional $799 dealer fee on top of the advertised price. Yea I might not be able to negotiate with them, if not I'll walk. Im not in a hurry to buy, and I'm sure later model GS go on sale regularly. This car is a new trade in so maybe if it sits on the lot for 30-40 days they drop the price a thousand.
Thanks a lot.
You're absolutely right, that's the beauty of negotiation - you can walk away at anytime. In my opinion, buying a car is like getting married; if the timing and situation is right for you then that's all that matters.

I do have a feeling that this car wont be sitting on the lot 30+ days though.
Old 03-18-21 | 05:32 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Thanks all you guys for your opinions and suggestions. The dealership won't negotiate off the $20,900 for the GS so I'm done with them! So I found another 2014 GS

Fsport, silver with cabernet seats, 19" wheels 84,000mi asking price $18,400. One owner , clean carfax good maint history, new tires at 56,000 new front breaks at 60,000. It looks clean on a video walkaround from the dealer with a possible smudge on passenger rear panel. I need to see it up close to tell exactly whats going on there. The inside looks immaculate. So here is my dilemma now I'm looking at a GS with 8000 miles more then the previous one but same year and model. The starting price on this one is 2500 less then the other 2014 GS Fsport without negotiations. I'm thinking even if it needs new struts or some other fixes it might be worth it?? If I could get them down to 17,600 it might be a ggod deal. I probably would take this one to a Lexus dealer to have a pre buy inspection. The dealer lets you have the car for three days and still return it. Well guys have at it, give me your yay or nay opinions on this one please
Thanks

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus GS350 purchase