GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bullets Garage Door Panel LED Upgrade, DIY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 12:38 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
I bought white and will start the project this weekend.

I was also tossed up between white and blue so hopefully i made the right choice.
Looking forward to the pics.
Old 04-21-21, 01:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I think the blue compliments the hybrid version well. My Highlander has blue accent lighting on the door and I feel it goes along well with it being a hybrid, though I think the illuminated door strip on the non-hybrid Highlander is blue as well.
Old 04-21-21, 02:11 PM
Misonasty
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
No idea, but here is the amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V46FZSZ/

It would be interesting to see how white turns out. It could potentially be too bright when not in drive or in drive.
Would one order be sufficient for all 4 doors?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-21, 02:16 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Misonasty
Would one order be sufficient for all 4 doors?

Thanks!
More than enough it's 16.4ft long, you cut it in sections. Also the original wire connection that comes with it is crap, I would cut that off and use the led connectors I linked to before. Also have a good xacto knife and pocket knife for trimming.
Old 04-21-21, 02:19 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think the blue compliments the hybrid version well. My Highlander has blue accent lighting on the door and I feel it goes along well with it being a hybrid, though I think the illuminated door strip on the non-hybrid Highlander is blue as well.
Blue looks good at night and it's easy on the eyes. Plus you get those night club vibes
Old 04-21-21, 02:28 PM
Misonasty
Rookie

More than enough it's 16.4ft long, you cut it in sections. Also the original wire connection that comes with it is crap, I would cut that off and use the led connectors I linked to before. Also have a good xacto knife and pocket knife for trimming.
Good to know. I saw in the Bullet Garage video that he had to break the clip that held on the oem light. Did you also had to do that? I'd like to keep the clips as intact as I can.
Old 04-21-21, 02:32 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Misonasty
Good to know. I saw in the Bullet Garage video that he had to break the clip that held on the oem light. Did you also had to do that? I'd like to keep the clips as intact as I can.
On the front doors I broke those clips before when I changed the door handles to aluminum(2016+). The rears the clip is easily removable. I just wrapped the connector in foam tape so it doesn't rattle.
I would remove the door wood/aluminum trim and then attempt to remove the connector without breaking it, either way really doesn't matter.
Old 04-21-21, 02:53 PM
Misonasty
Rookie

On the front doors I broke those clips before when I changed the door handles to aluminum(2016+). The rears the clip is easily removable. I just wrapped the connector in foam tape so it doesn't rattle.
I would remove the door wood/aluminum trim and then attempt to remove the connector without breaking it, either way really doesn't matter.
Thanks!

I'll wait on Thisguy_06 to post up the white leds as I am stuck between the blue and white.
The following users liked this post:
baconRx (04-22-21)
Old 04-23-21, 09:14 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Completed one door panel last night, so not sure if this will help but here's an attempt at the color/brightness comparison of the 'white' against the OEM. Shooting to finish the rest of the doors by tomorrow.

These pics were taken in my completely dark garage and peering through 20% tinted windows with car off / in park.

So far, this might be my 4th favorite mod; after my coilovers/wheels/tint.

New LED in passenger door.

Nice OEM like color.

Overpowers the factory puddle light.

Last edited by thisguy_06; 04-23-21 at 09:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by thisguy_06:
Im2bz2p345 (04-23-21), MX73 (04-23-21)
Old 04-23-21, 10:33 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

thanks for the pictures... i think the white makes it appear like it's too bright almost like someone left the light on in the car
... blue feels more upscale similar to the german cars...IMO

Still thanks guys for finding another mod
Old 04-23-21, 11:05 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

thisguy_06, what does it look like when you put it in drive? It should dim but is it still noticeable? I find the stock lights are so dim that at night in well lit areas it's barely noticeable.

I'd really like to do this but also be able to change colors and brightness.

I asked about this above and nobody responded.

Speaking of lighting, does anyone know what the interior light kit is, which is referenced on the page for illuminated door sills?

https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...T92230130.html

Old 04-23-21, 11:49 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
thisguy_06, what does it look like when you put it in drive? It should dim but is it still noticeable? I find the stock lights are so dim that at night in well lit areas it's barely noticeable.

Speaking of lighting, does anyone know what the interior light kit is, which is referenced on the page for illuminated door sills?

I'm going to bite the bullet and do the RGB with the Bluetooth controller. I think I can tap into one of the led power sources to the controller. The controller should power up all 4 lights. I am hoping the controller has enough power and will also retain the dim feature when put into drive.

This is what I'm going to order. I know 16ft is more than enough. I'm willing to sell whatever I don't use to someone that wants to tackle this project.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...M-B?quantity=1
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...LER?quantity=1

Thanks to @peasodos for reaching out to the person who did the RGB setup.
The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (04-23-21)
Old 04-23-21, 12:43 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes, when you pull it out of drive, it will dim and while it's much more noticeable than stock, i don't find it to be jarring at night, at all. The light's should have been like this from the factory.

I can provide pics of it dimmed when i finish this project.
Old 04-23-21, 01:13 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
I'm going to bite the bullet and do the RGB with the Bluetooth controller. I think I can tap into one of the led power sources to the controller. The controller should power up all 4 lights. I am hoping the controller has enough power and will also retain the dim feature when put into drive.

This is what I'm going to order. I know 16ft is more than enough. I'm willing to sell whatever I don't use to someone that wants to tackle this project.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...M-B?quantity=1
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...LER?quantity=1

Thanks to @peasodos for reaching out to the person who did the RGB setup.
With this setup you linked to, it looks like you have to have each strand plugged into that controller. How is that going to be possible? Are you going to have wires coming out of each door running to the controller in a central location?
Old 04-23-21, 04:57 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

With this setup you linked to, it looks like you have to have each strand plugged into that controller. How is that going to be possible? Are you going to have wires coming out of each door running to the controller in a central location?
That's the plan. lol. I don't mind running wires. It'll give me the chance to clean underneath the door sills. I have been seeing a bunch of sticky stuff oozing out between the sills and the body.

Quick Reply: Bullets Garage Door Panel LED Upgrade, DIY!