GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Would you use a Performance sub-forum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 02:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Default Would you use a Performance sub-forum?

Hi 4GS members, we've had a member request that a performance sub-forum be added to the fourth generation GS forum. This sub-forum would be the place where all threads related to engine tunes, forced induction, aftermarket intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmission tuning, etc. would go.

We haven't added one of these intentionally because historically there are very few performance oriented threads in this forum. I did a scan of the first couple of pages of threads and that still holds true - I saw only 3 or 4 threads that would go there.

Our experience has shown that creating that performance sub-forum often has the opposite effect of what the requestor intended: you get less eyeballs on those threads because you then have to navigate up to that new sub-forum and you ultimately get fewer replies to conversations about performance topics and fewer threads started. Also folks get confused about where to put those conversations and the topics end up getting split between the main forum and the sub-forum until a moderator moves them.

If you ARE interested in having this sub-forum created and will raise your hand to actively participate to make it a success - speak up.

Remember there is nothing stopping you from starting performance-related conversations right here in this very spot... having a dedicated sub-forum only helps with the topic organization when you have a lot of similar content.

Let's hear some feedback!
Old 04-04-21, 02:48 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 548 Likes on 398 Posts

I vote yes! I'm personally not into mods but, it would be great for the vast majority here who are into them.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (04-05-21)
Old 04-04-21, 07:31 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

I would like to see and participate in a performance sub forum for the 4GS. I check the 2IS performance section often and they look at me funny because my 4GS is bigger than theirs.
Old 04-05-21, 03:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by 00goobs
I would like to see and participate in a performance sub forum for the 4GS. I check the 2IS performance section often and they look at me funny because my 4GS is bigger than theirs.
We would never do that! All lies I tell you! Haha!

GL - not a GS owner... tuned 2GR-FSE = yes!
Old 04-05-21, 03:53 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I personally don’t see a need. We have search…
Old 04-06-21, 06:16 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
We would never do that! All lies I tell you! Haha!

GL - not a GS owner... tuned 2GR-FSE = yes!
It looks like you IS guys are going to have to get used to seeing my GS's rear end there.
Old 04-06-21, 08:40 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I think it would do more good than harm tbh since it'll be centralized for a lot of members that don't use the search function
Old 04-06-21, 10:05 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm not sure it's needed since there aren't many options out there to increase the performance of the car..
Old 04-07-21, 09:06 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by byungkuk
I'm not sure it's needed since there aren't many options out there to increase the performance of the car..
It isn't "needed", but your comment shows that if there were a "Performance" section, you may have been able to read about the high HP Lotus, Scions, MR2s with the 2GR families of engines and extensive mods. There are 4GS forum members with tunes, bolt-ons, and custom parts to get more performance out of our specific 2GR-FSE.

The 4GS forum is pretty awesome, a lot less negativity than other models and brands and I'm happy with what we have. But, a performance subsection may help bring more products and reviews for those who dare to go beyond (some to a fault) hehehe.....
Old 04-07-21, 10:42 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I feel a 4GS Performance section for discussions may not gain enough traffic if on its own (it would be almost like the 4GS Hybrid subforum in terms of traffic). It will definitely help with organization/searching as others mentioned, but I don't think you'll gain a "boost" in activity because of it (pun intended).

If CL decides to go through with a new "Performance" subforum, I would encourage mods (or ask the 4GS community) to help locate topics associated with performance mods and move them all into the new area so it's easier to find them. The one thing to consider is how the lines will be drawn between Performance related builds vs just Performance related discussion?

For example, these are two very well known build topics where 4GS vehicles were supercharged/tuned/etc:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ercharged.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...rwd-build.html

Would these moved over to the performance section or would they remain in the build section? They kind of blur the lines of both areas - agree, disagree, don't care? Just something to consider.

~ Im2bz2p345
bob256k (04-07-21)
Old 04-07-21, 12:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

If created, yes we would move past performance discussion threads there, and all build threads would stay in the build forum.

You're correct though that there likely wouldn't be any increase in activity - we historically don't automatically create a performance subforum because of the concern for the opposite effect occurring (fewer people viewing and responding to those performance threads) To date, there just have not been that many performance threads in 4GS which is why I haven't created it and likely won’t until we see a bunch of performance related posts and sustained interest that warrant it.

Bottom line, we need folks interested in this topic creating fourth gen GS threads about performance enhancements, how to do them, what the results were, pro and con of the mods, etc. This will do a ton more to grow interest and activity than simply creating a performance subforum that may actually reduce interest and visibility into those topics.

@00goobs, I'm looking at you as the primary member asking for this, but you only have one single performance thread on the forum. One. Get on it

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-07-21 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 02:34 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by 00goobs
It isn't "needed", but your comment shows that if there were a "Performance" section, you may have been able to read about the high HP Lotus, Scions, MR2s with the 2GR families of engines and extensive mods. There are 4GS forum members with tunes, bolt-ons, and custom parts to get more performance out of our specific 2GR-FSE.

The 4GS forum is pretty awesome, a lot less negativity than other models and brands and I'm happy with what we have. But, a performance subsection may help bring more products and reviews for those who dare to go beyond (some to a fault) hehehe.....
Yea 000goobs, I'm waiting on you pull the Motor, Polish Chamfer & Lighten the Crank, Titanium Stroker Rods, A Big Bore Piston kit, Flow Bench port and polish the Heads and do a 5 Angle Backcut Valve job with Titanium lifter Spring, Put in some High Lift Stage 3 Cams, Fab a New High Flow Intake Manifold. An Easy N/A 125hp gain at least!

In the meantime just hurry up and Map some good Gains with that Tune Software to send so I can load!
Old 04-07-21, 03:33 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

I like to do things the easier way.... The key is the software, hardware is easy.....

Im2bz2p345 (04-08-21)
Old 04-07-21, 04:16 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

I also would like a performance subform , just so I do not have to search for threads. I think as the 4GS platform ages and the price of used cars drops we will see more performance mods, even if minor.
Old 04-07-21, 06:18 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 256 Posts

IMO, have a performance sub-forum would help people searching for performance related mods easier.

Quick Reply: Would you use a Performance sub-forum?