GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Best coilovers brand

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 11:21 PM
Lis4Lexus
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best coilovers brand

Want to lower my 2013 gs350 awd what the best brand to lower it but still keep the factory ride quality
Old 04-11-21, 08:09 AM
Driveslow
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lis4Lexus
Want to lower my 2013 gs350 awd what the best brand to lower it but still keep the factory ride quality

cks with Swift spring upgrade
Old 04-11-21, 11:15 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

RSR is the best brand, it will keep your AVS function too.

Contact us for pricing and information.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-12-21, 12:14 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Driveslow
I'm currently on revel coilovers but i've been thinking about switching over to CKS with swift springs.

Main draw point to the CKS for me - besides anecdotal ride comfort/quality - is that , they're true coilovers at all 4 corners, so height adjustments is very easy when compared to the separate spring-shock set up in the rear.

However, i've heard RSR is good too, but i'm not a fan of the rear separate shock-spring design and retaining the AVS function isn't a deal breaker.
Old 04-12-21, 04:47 PM
EpikSc400
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Driveslow
Originally Posted by thisguy_06
I'm currently on revel coilovers but i've been thinking about switching over to CKS with swift springs.

Main draw point to the CKS for me - besides anecdotal ride comfort/quality - is that , they're true coilovers at all 4 corners, so height adjustments is very easy when compared to the separate spring-shock set up in the rear.

However, i've heard RSR is good too, but i'm not a fan of the rear separate shock-spring design and retaining the AVS function isn't a deal breaker.
Can't speak for RSR because I haven't driven or ridden in a car with them, however, I can speak for the CKS package mentioned above as I installed them then drove on them myself. I took the car for about an hour drive as I was going to polish and ceramic coat it and I'm not going to lie, I completely forgot it was on coils as I was driving. The dampening hadn't been dialed in yet and it was tucking tire so it didn't ride at its potential quality, however, it was still so smooth.
For reference, my IS had BC with swift at 10k/12k rates iirc and I thought it rode awesome. These CKS with swift at 10k/12k rates blow it out of the water. The car is raised up now and sitting on the tire and drives absolutely amazing for a coilover. I am probably going to invest in the same CKS coilovers as they just left my BC set up in the dust. They are definitely worth the price though imo
Old 04-13-21, 12:02 AM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

I’d rock RSR. All others will be too stiff, don’t believe what others say.
Old 04-13-21, 04:42 PM
Driveslow
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by itsraysgs

the mans got jokes

nice I like it
The following users liked this post:
gsintokyo (09-25-22)
Old 04-13-21, 05:04 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
they're true coilovers at all 4 corners, so height adjustments is very easy when compared to the separate spring-shock set up in the rear.

This is the truth, adjusting height on coilovers with a separate spring is not fun, time consuming, and almost makes me want to take them out.
The following 2 users liked this post by kietlander:
gsintokyo (09-25-22), Neil64 (04-28-21)
Old 04-13-21, 05:53 PM
EpikSc400
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
Not at all true, don't believe what others say.

Also, I got the spring rates backwards, my bad. Still holds true on the ride quality.
Old 04-24-21, 07:34 AM
Cardoso
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EpikSc400
Can't speak for RSR because I haven't driven or ridden in a car with them, however, I can speak for the CKS package mentioned above as I installed them then drove on them myself. I took the car for about an hour drive as I was going to polish and ceramic coat it and I'm not going to lie, I completely forgot it was on coils as I was driving. The dampening hadn't been dialed in yet and it was tucking tire so it didn't ride at its potential quality, however, it was still so smooth.
For reference, my IS had BC with swift at 10k/12k rates iirc and I thought it rode awesome. These CKS with swift at 10k/12k rates blow it out of the water. The car is raised up now and sitting on the tire and drives absolutely amazing for a coilover. I am probably going to invest in the same CKS coilovers as they just left my BC set up in the dust. They are definitely worth the price though imo
Do you know where to buy this set up?
Old 04-27-21, 01:18 AM
Seatown206
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the RSR Best-i Active coilovers that retains the AVS functionality. They have been installed for roughly 1 month now with around 500 miles on them. I have the dampening set to 12 out of 24 and they are super comfortable, in normal mode it feels like like sport + mode on the stock suspension. With these coils they get a little bit stiffer in dampening when you go to sport+ mode. So far I love them, comfortable for daily driving and stiffens up nicely when you want to throw the car around. Like everyone has said that have experience with the RSR coils (any model) is that they do run soft. I'm not slammed so the only rubbing i get is on the front fender liners on big dips. Although I dont use the AVS function much its just nice to have, you dont have to retain it since it wont throw any check codes. If your looking to stiffen up the suspension a good amount or be super low then CKS will be a better option for you due to stiffer springs rates and not to mention it turns the rear into a true coilover design so that means adjusting ride height is much much easier that your traditional divorce setup on the gs350's. I just got the RSR's because I got a good deal on them and I just wanted AVS functionality which means ill pay more than most will, but hey its a lexus so might as well get it, once these go out from wear and tear ill probably switch over to CKS coilovers, for now I enjoy the comfort while stiffening up the ride a bit from factory (gets rid of the boaty feel)
The following 2 users liked this post by Seatown206:
amerrival (06-09-24), peteharvey (11-07-21)
Old 04-28-21, 02:26 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I put new coilovers on my GSH last year. Due to Covid, some manufactures were non-responsive, some had low inventories, some had no inventory and almost all were backlogged in some manner from 7/20 - 9/20. While I was getting educated in coilovers, I called every coilover manufacture that I could think of who makes coilovers for any Lexus to see how they accounted for the 400lbs additional pounds in the back of the H vs. GS350. I was looking more for a replacement of the OEM ride quality vs. track or slammed while maintaining a conservative 2 finger gap drop. AVS was not critical for me and I certainly didn't want to pay for it. I bought my car used slammed with Godspeeds that were seized and could not be raised. I also discovered that the previous owner did not account for the extra 400lbs in the trunk and went with 8K rear springs. OEM springs/shocks were an option but I couldn't find any rears for the H and I'd still want to lower it a bit.

These were my findings.

CKS - I was never able to reach anyone regarding CKS. No one ever replied in any fashion including including sales to date. Not confidence inspiring.

RS-R had the worst tech support if you want to call it that by far. English is a second language and all data comes from Japan. Not all of the data is translated. They are very secretive about their products including spring sizes, dimensions, etc., valving ranges/options in case you want to change spring rates, etc.. They told me plainly that this is to prevent users from modifying their products. Rebuilding/repairing units is a mystery. Some owners report that RS-R does not have enough rear spring rate on their GS350s to prevent the rear from bottoming out. Their stuff is the most expensive. A fellow CLer recently posted about buying used RS-Rs and not getting any support from them to rebuild/replace blown rears.

Godspeed - Yes called and dealt with them because my car (used) came with them. Excellent tech support once you escalated past the guy who always answers the phone. Not a very good product and has poor longevity.

BC - Fair tech support when I was able to reach them. BC changed their support options due to the overwhelming amount of sales so they stopped answering all calls and emails. Most people either love or hate BC and not much in between. The haters point to their use of all parts Chinese and shared along cheaper "internet" brands making them all the same with different colors . Tuning shops either love or hate them too. The shop haters report BCs start making noises/clunks after 1 or so years of use. BC seems to provide off the self replacements, customization and rear kits. Lot's of flexibility and reasonable availability if you are using the recommended spring rates. Easily the most widely sold coilover for our cars.

Fortune Auto - Very good tech support via email with solid answers. Chinese parts, inspected, tested and installed in Richmond, VA. Reports are very encouraging about after sales support, repair, rebuild. Never heard/read a bad thing about Fortune Auto and would/should have ordered but their backlog was 8-12 weeks. All coilovers are dyno'd to ensure same function at all 4 corners. If I was tracking my car at all, these would be my choice with custom spring rates that they will help you choose.

Revel - Honest tech support about a new product. All parts are Chinese like BC. Some owners report rear end sagging and bottoming out due to not enough rear spring rate and adjustablity. Ride quality is supposed to be good.

Tein - Excellent tech support. Flex Z, IMHO, is designed more for street using twin tube instead of mono tube. By the very nature of design, twin tube gives more shock travel, which is crucial when limited by lowering, but fluid tends to overheat when pushed in competition. Our OEM shocks are monotube. If I remember correctly Tein use rubber mounts vs. pillowballs to soak up vibrations but probably aren't as precise. Most of Tein parts are made in Japan and all assembly is done there. Replacements are readily available as these units are not rebuildable. This saves time and money when you have a failed unit. I went with the non-AVS which are the cheapest, quality coilover for our cars. Ride quality over the Godspeeds is night and day. I left adjustment half way and experienced no oscillation. I have no way to tell you how it compares to OEM but I am 56 years old on OEM 18's and find the ride quality good but stiffer than my stock 2001 GS430 on a 160K OEM suspension on the same size 18" tires. Having driven on them for about 1K miles, I am happy with my choice. The car handles amazing and I don't bottom out over anything including train tracks, speed humps/bumps, etc. and again, no oscillation. The Tein spring rates of 8k/12k work for hybrid and I think will work even better for a GS350.

In general, everyone claims their coilovers provide good ride quality. I can tell you ride quality claims, longevity claims, service & support, repair/replacement and reputation are important to me and shaped my decision. I hope this helps in some fashion.

Last edited by Neil64; 04-29-21 at 08:30 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Neil64:
Asav (03-06-24), gsintokyo (09-25-22), LSUGS430 (05-23-24), Measured (04-28-21), peteharvey (11-07-21)
Old 04-28-21, 02:27 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

If you guys would like a visual explanation to why a divorced rear suspension conversion to a true coilover is important we made a video to illustrate the science behind it.

RSR is absolutely a quality product and retaining AVS is a nice feature, but the issue that isn't resolved is the rear divorced spring and shock setup which with customizable spring rates from CKS you can make softer or stiffer. From an engineering perspective even stiffer spring rates in the rear shifter theoretically feel better since the spring and shock are designed to work together and there is a consistent preload that's maintained rather than the chassis sitting on top of a spring.

I think ultimately it depends on what you would like to do with your car and the budget that you are willing to spend. If you're asking for our opinion cks is absolutely the best choice, it's something that you purchase one time and are done with. Not having AVS you can adjust the damper with CKS with a twist of a **** so not a big deal once you get your settings dialed in.

Check out our video here:
The following 4 users liked this post by ModInJapan:
eddie420 (04-30-21), LSUGS430 (05-23-24), shenry500 (10-02-23), TheWizard (12-19-22)
Old 08-20-21, 05:05 AM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Bump for an old thread rather than create a new one. Question:

I know to adjust the damper settings on the fronts, you simply twist the ****. How would you adjust this on the rears however, as i dont see anyway to easily access them? Unless its more of a one time thing you do before installing the rears...
Old 08-20-21, 10:03 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJango
Bump for an old thread rather than create a new one. Question:

I know to adjust the damper settings on the fronts, you simply twist the ****. How would you adjust this on the rears however, as i dont see anyway to easily access them? Unless its more of a one time thing you do before installing the rears...
You can either move the trim out of your way (easily done provided you don't have a subwoofer cabinet blocking the sides) , drill a small hole in your trim that covers the rear shock mount so that you can run a long allen key or extender https://subimods.com/wrx/2002-2003-w...ders-only.html

I have not adjusted my damping since installation and I used the default Tein setting of half way.

Last edited by Neil64; 08-20-21 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Best coilovers brand