GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Are Lexus GS expensive to maintain???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 04:10 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
This vehicle maintenance is comparable to a Camry..
Really? The engine itself sure but the rest of the consumables are rather pricey in comparison. Full disclosure, I'm in Australia so we pay Australia tax on everything, you lot have absolutely no idea how good you've got it.

Tyres are more expensive than Camry tyres ($400 vs $200 each here) and I can't rotate or swap them(fsport) so I get frig all life from them. Camber is completely buggered from factory and is not adjustable so they are not roadworthy long before they should be.

Front brakes are hideously expensive (over 1K) as we don't have aftermarket options here. Camry brakes are cheap and aftermarket options aplenty even here.
One of my hub threads was stripped (previous owner), of course it's a GS/RC specific part and costs $600, not $200 like the OEM Camry hub.
Shocks are a grand a corner, Camry a hundred or two. That said when the KYB ones become available it changes that, I've already managed to get cheap rear shocks.
Old 05-01-21, 04:48 AM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Really? The engine itself sure but the rest of the consumables are rather pricey in comparison. Full disclosure, I'm in Australia so we pay Australia tax on everything, you lot have absolutely no idea how good you've got it.

Tyres are more expensive than Camry tyres ($400 vs $200 each here) and I can't rotate or swap them(fsport) so I get frig all life from them. Camber is completely buggered from factory and is not adjustable so they are not roadworthy long before they should be.

Front brakes are hideously expensive (over 1K) as we don't have aftermarket options here. Camry brakes are cheap and aftermarket options aplenty even here.
One of my hub threads was stripped (previous owner), of course it's a GS/RC specific part and costs $600, not $200 like the OEM Camry hub.
Shocks are a grand a corner, Camry a hundred or two. That said when the KYB ones become available it changes that, I've already managed to get cheap rear shocks.
Oh man... What is going on in the land down under?!?! I bought the OEM Lexus front pads with the shims for around 80 bucks from a Lexus dealership online. Tires are a bit expensive though, but not too bad if you can wait for a deal. The KYB shocks can be had for around 120 bucks each. You need to move to the US, may be. Or stick with Holdens. 😆
Old 05-01-21, 07:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang

F Sport with staggered wheels/tires is the exception, any car with staggered tires and rare Brembo's is going to be more expensive in that department, you can just buy 2 matching sized wheels so you can rotate your tires and install standard brakes, that is the first thing I would do if I got a RWD F Sport. Lexus parts are normally more expensive then Toyota's along with dealership prices and it sounds like Australia is really bad, if you look around and do DIY it will save a ton of money. The GS is a very robust car with few trouble spots, it is generally about the same as a Camry in most cases aside from the tires being more expensive and in the F Sport case they can't be rotated along with the Brembo brakes, you can switch them out though to save a lot of money in the long run, other then those things you are not doing much more then a Camry. A LS460 is a totally different story, it has several trouble spots and the prices are very high in many cases to fix them.
Old 05-01-21, 09:40 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
F Sport with staggered wheels/tires is the exception, any car with staggered tires and rare Brembo's is going to be more expensive in that department, you can just buy 2 matching sized wheels so you can rotate your tires and install standard brakes, that is the first thing I would do if I got a RWD F Sport. Lexus parts are normally more expensive then Toyota's along with dealership prices and it sounds like Australia is really bad, if you look around and do DIY it will save a ton of money. The GS is a very robust car with few trouble spots, it is generally about the same as a Camry in most cases aside from the tires being more expensive and in the F Sport case they can't be rotated along with the Brembo brakes, you can switch them out though to save a lot of money in the long run, other then those things you are not doing much more then a Camry. A LS460 is a totally different story, it has several trouble spots and the prices are very high in many cases to fix them.
I have the 2020 GS 350 F Sport RWD. I called my dealer just out of curiosity on the parts cost. It's $361 x 2 for front rotors and 2 x $134 for the rear rotors. Pads are around $100 each piece. All numbers in USD btw.
Old 05-02-21, 04:52 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Nope, super reliable
Old 05-02-21, 05:03 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

If replacing with OEM parts all cross shop the comparable toyota part. Save yourself 10-20% on the same exact part with a toyota box. The car is relatively cheap to maintain; especially when compared to the competition. That’s one of the main reason i use mine as a commuter.