GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tips on getting the most money out of my loaded GS...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-21, 09:33 AM
BigHungry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tips on getting the most money out of my loaded GS...

I need some help selling my Lexus GS. Trying to see if I can make the numbers work to get into a GX but I don't want to lose money on the current vehicle.

I have a 2013 GS 350 F-Sport AWD that has every option possible except for HUD, night vison, pre-collision, and lane keep. Nebula Gray exterior with ~45k miles.

I know that this vehicle is worth some money there are single digit F-Sports on autotrader nationwide with way more miles. KBB puts me at 24,500 for trade in and 25,400 for private party. NADA puts met at : Average trade - 24k, Clean Trade - 25,600 Clean retail - 28,600.

Have gotten some lowball offers from dealers. I wouldn't mind taking a 1-2k hit if the trade/private party values are actually that close. Car was listed on autotrader a while back might list it again to see if I get any more traction. Any help is much appreciated. I know I can list it here on the marketplace but curious if there are any other good strategies/sites I am missing. Thanks.

Edit: Carvana quoted me 18k+

Last edited by BigHungry; 05-02-21 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-02-21, 12:43 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Try getting quotes from Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom
Old 05-02-21, 02:15 PM
BigHungry
Driver School Candidate

Edited my post got the quote from carvana will check with vroom/carmax
Old 05-02-21, 02:47 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Try
givemethevin.com

It was easy and more money than carmax.....
Old 05-02-21, 03:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by BigHungry
I need some help selling my Lexus GS. Trying to see if I can make the numbers work to get into a GX but I don't want to lose money on the current vehicle.

I have a 2013 GS 350 F-Sport AWD that has every option possible except for HUD, night vison, pre-collision, and lane keep. Nebula Gray exterior with ~45k miles.

I know that this vehicle is worth some money there are single digit F-Sports on autotrader nationwide with way more miles. KBB puts me at 24,500 for trade in and 25,400 for private party. NADA puts met at : Average trade - 24k, Clean Trade - 25,600 Clean retail - 28,600.

Have gotten some lowball offers from dealers. I wouldn't mind taking a 1-2k hit if the trade/private party values are actually that close. Car was listed on autotrader a while back might list it again to see if I get any more traction. Any help is much appreciated. I know I can list it here on the marketplace but curious if there are any other good strategies/sites I am missing. Thanks.

What's the exact number you want for it?
Old 05-02-21, 08:15 PM
BigHungry
Driver School Candidate

probably 23-24k at a minimum obviously the more the better
Old 05-03-21, 01:08 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

First of all if you are trying to get the most value from a dealer that is the worst place to get any, especially in the current used car market. Prices for used vehicles especially Lexus have gone up tremendously. To give you an example I am seeing 2015 GS models both F-Sport and non with over 50k miles and virtually every listing I see online are well above $30k asking prices if not just a tad below in the high 20's. That is nuts, I paid that amount nearly 4 years ago CPO with 26k miles and 2 year extended warranty. If I were you I'd go private sale to get the most value.
Old 05-03-21, 01:28 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a 2013 GS 350 F-Sport AWD that has every option possible except for HUD, night vision, per-collision, and lane keep. Nebula Gray exterior with ~45k miles.

I hate to break it to you but the 2013 GS versions no matter how clean it is (and your model isn't "loaded") for some odd reason demand for these models are the lowest in the GS line, perhaps because if the 1st model/gen year syndrome effect? You have to be realistic its already an 8 year old car and outside of a few enthusiasts you will probably continue to get low balled and good chances are you won't get you think it's worth. That been said, had you had all those rare features you mentioned missing than you'd have yourself a unicorn and probably get some more scratch for it due to it's loaded rarity especially for a 2013 model year but those are very few and in all my years have only seen 1 in this forum loaded with every option available that model year (build 2012). Good luck and hope you can maximize the most out of it. All it takes is 1 sucker.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 05-03-21 at 01:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-03-21, 02:02 PM
BigHungry
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
First of all if you are trying to get the most value from a dealer that is the worst place to get any, especially in the current used car market. Prices for used vehicles especially Lexus have gone up tremendously. To give you an example I am seeing 2015 GS models both F-Sport and non with over 50k miles and virtually every listing I see online are well above $30k asking prices if not just a tad below in the high 20's. That is nuts, I paid that amount nearly 4 years ago CPO with 26k miles and 2 year extended warranty. If I were you I'd go private sale to get the most value.
Where would you recommend I list it to try an get a good price in a private sale?
Old 05-03-21, 03:41 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

I would also have the car detailed in spotless condition for a prospective buyer.
Old 05-03-21, 04:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

A couple thousand dollars here or there doesn't usually mean all that much to most people - especially adults that drive a Lexus. By the time you worry yourself sick over trying to get the absolute highest tippy-top dollar for your 8½ year-old car so you can 'get into a GX' you probably would have been better off putting that effort into something more important.

Are you planning on having this issue ('don't want to lose money on the current vehicle') every time you trade vehicles? If so, you're in for a rude awakening...
Old 05-03-21, 07:55 PM
BigHungry
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
A couple thousand dollars here or there doesn't usually mean all that much to most people - especially adults that drive a Lexus. By the time you worry yourself sick over trying to get the absolute highest tippy-top dollar for your 8½ year-old car so you can 'get into a GX' you probably would have been better off putting that effort into something more important.

Are you planning on having this issue ('don't want to lose money on the current vehicle') every time you trade vehicles? If so, you're in for a rude awakening...
I'm not worried about losing a little money I was more asking about some advice on doing a private sale. I am not sure why the dealers are offering me say 4-5k less than trade in value I figured those numbers would be reasonable. Also as far as 8.5 year vehicle goes I guess I ****ed up buy not buying a toyota/lexus suv from the jump cause those values are sky high.
Old 05-03-21, 08:04 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not worried about losing a little money I was more asking about some advice on doing a private sale. I am not sure why the dealers are offering me say 4-5k less than trade in value I figured those numbers would be reasonable. Also as far as 8.5 year vehicle goes I guess I ****ed up buy not buying a toyota/lexus suv from the jump cause those values are sky high.

you didn’t f up am in a similar boat as you check my other thread...yours is loaded and I honestly think our cars will be worth more later on because the gs line is no longer being produced albeit so that’s a rarity.
Old 05-04-21, 01:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't think there is a big demand for 2013 F Sports, why do you think it is worth some money? I checked autotrader and found 22 F Sports for sale within 200 miles from me, no 2013's though, they were much newer. I think 18K is pretty good for a 2013 F Sport from Carvana, not sure if getting much over 20K is realistic even for a private sale, I think only a Lux model could get that considering all the extra's it has and how rare it is. To get the most from it I would give it a good detail, polish, make it look as good as possible and list it on sites like Autotrader, Craigslist, here, etc. Instead of trying to get the most for your GS if you really want a GX I would look to get the best deal for a GX.