GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Atf

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 04:36 PM
Eric777
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Atf

Want to change my ATF. 2013 GS 350 F Sport AWD. I just purchased with 117000. Not sure if it's ever been changed. It has had the 60k service at the Stealership. But I don't think that is part of there 60k service.
Yeah, they say don't change if it's never been changed. But I personality don't think my Tranny will not work anymore if I change it. I've heard people changing it with 185k with no problems. In fact, they claim it even shifts better. Has anybody with this tranny actually lost it for changing it to late? My Tranny works well and I want to keep it that way.
Old 05-06-21, 04:57 PM
LSSAH
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I just did flush at around 97k with 12 quarts of ATF, planning on flush again in few months (my mechanic recommended)

Original owner did all the required maintenance at Lexus dealer but never change or flush ATF (LEXUS said it dose not require) so I assume your maybe in the similar situation

So far my tranny shift like new and just have a piece of mind you know you have fresh fluid instead of old black sticky fluid
Old 05-06-21, 06:08 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

Service that transmission. There are many who say, "Lifetime Fluid". Baloney.
If you wish, drop the pan and replace the filter. That's what I did.
I will do another spill and fill and call it good for perhaps another 30K.
Old 05-07-21, 05:23 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

i did drain n fill at 60k mile
Old 05-08-21, 12:09 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

The issue is not about changing or not. If it’s changed exact procedures need to be followed to ensue fluid is at the right level. And that is dependent on temperature.

The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-09-21)
Old 05-08-21, 07:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

The transmission (without replacing the transmission fluid) will outlast the car - whether that is 150k miles or 350k miles. I'll put it another way - the transmission will still be operating nicely long after your car's headliner is sagging down on your head as you drive down the road with the fenders on your car shaking and rattling because they are barely attached due to the bolts having disintegrated because of rust. In other words, you will no longer own the car when the transmission is still working as it should.

If you want to really (REALLY) learn about ATF from a noted expert (John Kelly) you should watch this entire video.

Toyota WS ATF is not like other ATF. It is specifically made (blended) for Toyota-Aisin designed transmissions. (See what the expert has to say about aftermarket ATF - it should give you the hibbie-gibbies!)

At 25:45 in this video the discussion about Toyota's WS ATF begins...

If anyone has any doubts about which ATF to use in their Toyota/Lexus transmission, or if the factory-fill Type WS ATF (designed jointly by Toyota and Aisin engineers to be used specifically in Toyota - Aisin transmissions) should be replaced (which is NEVER) - I think the Toyota and Aisin transmission design engineers know a hell of a lot more about their jointly designed transmissions and the automatic transmission fluid those transmissions [SHOULD] use than we do.
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
Im2bz2p345 (05-09-21), ItzFilyO (05-09-21), Roadie800 (05-14-21)
Old 05-09-21, 04:23 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

bclexus, you have taught me a lot about GS 350's in my search to purchase one on these boards. Thank You. My post here is merely to offer another thought process from someone who has been doing this a long time.

I have just started hanging out on the GS 350 boards as I am in the market for one. I have been rebuilding engines/transmissions and wrenching my own vehicles and aircraft for over 40 years. I am also a certified oil analysis technician.

If you think that Toyota WS is lifetime fluid I will not get in your way, but I will kindly say that I disagree. It was developed in 2002. Lubricating technology has vastly improved even over the last 10 years. I do firmly believe that you should always use manufacturers recommended fluids, and WS is what I use when I change the fluid in my 4Runner and ES 350. I have added a little valvoline synthetic to my ES 350 in an attempt to get the trans temps down. I monitor all of my temps while driving with the Scanguage II. I change my fluid (drain and fill while monitoring temps) every 30k. You may find that excessive, but I also have 2 GMC trucks with the 4L60E transmission (not known for longevity), both are over 200,000 miles with the original transmission working perfectly. And yes, the headliner in one is falling.

Also, the ES 350 has a transmission filter that uses the paper element. It must be changed for proper care and maintenance. A dirty paper element filter will reduce flow and cause increased temps.

I am pretty sure the GS 350 uses a screen like my 4Runner, which is much more forgiving but will not trap small particles.

And I will also just leave this here;

The following 4 users liked this post by rmak:
2GR (05-09-21), bclexus (05-09-21), Doublebase (05-15-21), Im2bz2p345 (05-09-21)
Old 05-09-21, 01:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

These Trans fluid threads keep coming back up in all the different Forums. I'm going to add somethings for each to research on their own and decide for your own purpose. I know I like info shared by others here myself.

It's said on the Tacoma World and Toyota Nation and other places that the WS Toyota Fluid is not actually Full Synthetic at all, nor lifetime. That Toyota was able to have it deemed that title and this allowed them to save Millions of dollars not have to pay for it being a recycled hazard waste cost. All fluids no matter how good they are are still subject to contamination regardless. If I am not mistaken the GS Trans has a Vent hole somewhere. I know other Sealed Lexus Trans do, and I think the 4th Gen GS does also.

If you talk to any Toyota Service shop Tech's they just about all 100% change their fluid in the Toyota sealed lifetime Toyota/Lexus they own. Why? They have seen the Burnt Toyota Fluid and Transmission failures. mrak is right. The Lexus filter is paper. I changed my 13 ES350 U/L that went 150k before I Sold it 2x's. I opened it and it had metal in it, and was at the end of Filter Service life.

I have a new Lexus Trans Filter for my 13 GS350 that has 37k. I am about to change it. I'll post the old Lexus Trans filter cut open pics. I do a drain and fill every 40k, and New Lexus Trans filter every 80k. I use only the Valvoline Full Synthetic Toyota Type fluid. It keeps the Trans cooler, and shifts better, I hear the Tranny and front pump Whine go away each time more and more. Someone said one time if its a Lifetime Fluid, and requires no service, why does Toyota/Lexus not give a Lifetime Warranty on the Transmission?

I'm not saying everyone should change the Fluid. If you are not keeping the car very long then it's understandable. But if you are keeping it? I have a great relationship with a large 5 Start rated Toyota service department that I have work on my car. I am close with the Service Director and Shop Foreman Master Tech. I want to tell everyone that there is a Toyota Service code for cost that is only $68 for a drain and fill. I give them my Valvoline fluid from Walmart that cost $19.99. For the cost to do this I choose to have it done. A new Transmission replacement cost, expense I personally do not need.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-09-21 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-09-21, 07:05 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Unless there is a definition for "lifetime" it is a meaningless term. And there is no such thing as lifetime fluid.
I just serviced our '13 F Sport at almost 80K... I suggest using the Lexus filter (screen). It comes with a nice gasket.
The old fluid was not burnt, but it was worn. I used Idemitsu Type LV (Lexus WS equivalent). Full Synthetic.
I will do a spill and fill again and call it good for 30K.

By the way, the most important AT service is the 1st one, as it removes break in materials.
Old 05-10-21, 01:29 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
By the way, the most important AT service is the 1st one, as it removes break in materials.
That is very true. I always drop the pan, change the filter or screen, and clean the magnets and inside the pan on the first change. The same thought process is true for engine and differential as well.

The reason that a transmission flush can cause issues is that it re-introduces a lot of the accumulated debris from the pan / magnets / clutches back into the new fluid. This can cause a clogged filter and erratic shift solenoid behavior.
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 03:07 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Service that transmission. There are many who say, "Lifetime Fluid". Baloney.
If you wish, drop the pan and replace the filter. That's what I did.
I will do another spill and fill and call it good for perhaps another 30K.
Transmission fluid threads are a bunch of Baloney
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
bc6152 (05-11-21), JeffKeryk (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 03:32 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Hybrid transmission last much longer without oil change. So much so that if you don’t plan to own the car for 20 or so years. Why change it?

never heard of a Lexus or Toyota hybrid transmission going bad from not changing. But plenty of stories where quick lube places destroying those transmissions.
Old 05-10-21, 03:58 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

To change the ATF, or not change the ATF, that is the question. Not why are we here, or the meaning of life stuff. Love the discussions though, and everyone is at least respectful. With the Hybrid, I am sticking with 703 and Peasodos, but then again my 2013 only has 62k on her. I have done the drain and fill on the other cars though with a normal transmission using Honda ATF. Seems pretty simple, weigh what you take out, and refill with the same amount. I guess if you drop pan, that may get messy and harder to do.
Old 05-10-21, 04:16 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

It's up to you whether or not the fluid should be changed. I believe the magnets should be cleaned and a fluid change is a byproduct. Your US manual says the transmission is sealed, my Aus manual doesn't - in fact the transmission has drain, fill and level bolts. Lexus even suggest the transmission fluid should be changed depending on typical driving conditions. You decide.
Old 05-10-21, 06:54 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Lexus doesn't make the GS transmissions, Aisin-Warner does. They recommend regular services.

Quick Reply: Atf