GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 12:41 PM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Checked the oil about 10 minutes after shutting off engine. Not a fan of these dipsticks by the way. The tube has a curve in it so I feel like oil gets all over the reading area. Makes it difficult to reinsert also.
Old 05-08-21, 12:59 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ameschke
Checked the oil about 10 minutes after shutting off engine. Not a fan of these dipsticks by the way. The tube has a curve in it so I feel like oil gets all over the reading area. Makes it difficult to reinsert also.
I listen to the noise from 1:07 mark make me feel uncomfortable, even try up and down volume still sounds odd, please update with us what dealer say.
Old 05-08-21, 06:52 PM
GeeEss350
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just bought a used 2016 GS350 with about 54,000 miles on it. Car is beautiful and drives great. I have however noticed that on cold starts and shifting into reverse there is a strange noise coming from the engine. If I shift back to park it gets louder. I am concerned this may be causing premature wear on engine components and I would like to drive this car for a very long time. It goes in to the dealer on Tuesday and will sit overnight so they can hear it Wednesday morning. The link to the video is:

https://youtu.be/zTVHPGUIVxY

This is from a cold start. My wife shifts from park to reverse, then back to park. The sound can be heard very clearly at the 1:07 mark. I have not heard this sound or anyone describing it on any other posts. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.
That is NOT normal!
Old 05-08-21, 08:41 PM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’m just going to leave it as is. The warranty is all finished, (6 years / 120000km powertrain remaining if this covers that) and my car has beaten up quite a bit. If it’s normal, it’s normal. I’ll quietly wait but this is starting to give me anxiety disorder.
Old 05-11-21, 06:13 PM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilentSC
I’m just going to leave it as is. The warranty is all finished, (6 years / 120000km powertrain remaining if this covers that) and my car has beaten up quite a bit. If it’s normal, it’s normal. I’ll quietly wait but this is starting to give me anxiety disorder.
Took it to the dealer. Showed the video to the service manager and lead mechanic. Immediately diagnosed it as a vacuum pump. There is a tsb for it. Lexus TSB #L-SB-0010-18_Rev. They have to confirm the issue in the morning and I'm not sure if it is covered under powertrain warranty. Hope this eases the anxiety a bit. Won't know cost to repair until tomorrow either.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ameschke:
cabello (05-11-21), Mewannalex (05-21-21), SilentSC (05-11-21)
Old 05-11-21, 06:24 PM
cabello
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took it to the dealer. Showed the video to the service manager and lead mechanic. Immediately diagnosed it as a vacuum pump. There is a tsb for it. Lexus TSB #L-SB-0010-18_Rev. They have to confirm the issue in the morning and I'm not sure if it is covered under powertrain warranty. Hope this eases the anxiety a bit. Won't know cost to repair until tomorrow either.
Old 05-11-21, 06:48 PM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Good find good find. I'll also check what my engine serial number is. Trying to look up TSB or Recall program via my VIN didn't find anything. The TSB says the repair is covered via basic warranty, not powertrain. Worst case I'll just have to pay for the vacuum pump assy...

It seems this vacuum pump is part of brake system. Either I was abusing the brakes so much (Had to replace front brakes when my rear is like 50% used up), or something went wrong during brake fluid service?

Just checked mylparts-- nearly $700 USD for an assembly! (without discount)

Will it compromise the brakes in the end if this knocking goes on? Or just let engine warm up and then drive away and it will never going to be a problem?

Last edited by SilentSC; 05-11-21 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Pondering about whether the price is justified
Old 05-11-21, 08:08 PM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

Here is a good video that explains what a vacuum pump does. I'm pretty sure ours is mechanical.
Old 05-11-21, 08:17 PM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

This was a copy of someone posted in a RX350 vacuum pump issue:
The rapid knocking ndoise on cold starts is a badly designed port where the vacuum pump attaches to the cylinder head sub-assembly. The initial TSB had dealers replace the vacuum pump only, this didn't help the problem as it's to do with the port that, in noisy engines, is perfectly round. Apparently when the engine is cold the oil "slaps" around that area making the knocking type noise you hear. When the engine warms as does the oil the oil is more liquid and the noise stops. For those who want to have it repaired there was ANOTHER TSB (number unknown) that replaces the vacuum pump and the cylinder head sub-assembly. The sub-assembly has a port where the vacuum pump connects, noisy engines have a perfectly round hole but the updated one has a notch cut out which apparently is enough for the oil to stop "slapping" around in that area. To have the work done it's a BIG job, the entire engine is dropped from the car, broken down to remove the cylinder head sub-assembly and replace that as well as the vacuum pump. once complete the noise is pretty much gone, although I have noticed it occasionally when it's in the garage, with the car window open. Probably more to do with me listening for it but totally acceptable now and goes when the engine warms within a minute or two.
Old 05-12-21, 10:22 AM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

I'm about to go and pay $170 to stealership for them to have a look by themselves... Bad omen

But then… If it doesn’t knock during cold start because the oil hasn’t got to the pump area yet, then maybe this is normal?

Let me try brake booster test tomorrow and see what happens. — Booster test success. The tractor noise continues even after several minutes of engine warm-up. Just the noise is reduced a bit.

Last edited by SilentSC; 05-12-21 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Afterthought after studying about this vacuum pump
Old 05-14-21, 10:02 AM
tomex77
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely does not sound. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-14-21, 10:06 AM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

Dealer just replaced my vacuum pump today. I will pick up the vehicle tonight and see if that fixed the issue. The oil slapping issue is interesting. I will have to see if that is still causing some noise.
Old 05-14-21, 11:50 AM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Dealer just replaced my vacuum pump today. I will pick up the vehicle tonight and see if that fixed the issue. The oil slapping issue is interesting. I will have to see if that is still causing some noise.
Perhaps with the video of the results would be greatly appreciated. I’ll have to see if it’s worth the replacement. Expecting $1000 total cost for me
Old 05-17-21, 01:30 PM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

So far the louder clanking is gone. There is still some mild noise on cold starts but that could be the oil slapping sound. It goes away pretty quickly.. I will get a video of it and try to have it posted this week. Total cost of parts and labor was $1100 USD.
Old 05-17-21, 01:33 PM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. I would probably just get the pump replaced anyways-- better than seeing that pump seize up and ruining the whole engine. But that cost tho --cries

Quick Reply: Strange engine noise