GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-21, 06:25 PM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is an updated video after the repair was done. There is still some noise but it is dramatically quieter.
You can start to hear it around 1:12. I can no longer hear it in the cabin or outside with the hood down. It's a tough call as to whether it is worth a thousand dollars to fix. It was embarrassingly loud before but now you wouldn't notice it unless you knew it was there. I would like to think the remaining sound is the oil slapping that was mentioned earlier. It even mentions in the TSB "Confirm the knocking noise is reduced" so I don't know if the repair is even supposed to eliminate the sound entirely. It might even end up returning later without changing out the cylinder head sub assembly like mentioned before.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ameschke:
cabello (05-20-21), Mewannalex (05-21-21), SilentSC (05-20-21)
Old 05-20-21, 07:05 PM
GeeEss350
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ameschke
Here is an updated video after the repair was done. There is still some noise but it is dramatically quieter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQht8fql2g
You can start to hear it around 1:12. I can no longer hear it in the cabin or outside with the hood down. It's a tough call as to whether it is worth a thousand dollars to fix. It was embarrassingly loud before but now you wouldn't notice it unless you knew it was there. I would like to think the remaining sound is the oil slapping that was mentioned earlier. It even mentions in the TSB "Confirm the knocking noise is reduced" so I don't know if the repair is even supposed to eliminate the sound entirely. It might even end up returning later without changing out the cylinder head sub assembly like mentioned before.
I think you are right, that slapping is not normal. This sort of main dealer twaddle should not be tolerated for a $60k car
Old 05-20-21, 07:15 PM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the video upload. This answers a lot of my questions. In order to really further improve the noise reduction, even the cyl head sub assembly needs to be replaced with a certain notch shape so that it further prevents oil slapping noise.
But that is such a deep rabbit hole I'm not interested on digging down to. TSB also says it's to be "reduced", not "eliminated". At least you have another life on the vaccum system that will last even longer.

Now I'm skeptical on continue to place my vehicle up to stealership for diagnosis. I have a feeling that they might say nothing odd was found and still ask for $170CAD.
My concern is whether this noise is gonna end up making this pump to "seize-up" and killing the engine. Vaccum system seems to be working fine, with brake pedal pressing test and all.
Old 05-21-21, 03:56 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ameschke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQht8fql2g
That's good you got it fixed, the engine is noisy but sounds normal now. But I still can't believe Toyota engine this noisy.
Old 05-21-21, 06:31 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Longevite1
That's good you got it fixed, the engine is noisy but sounds normal now. But I still can't believe Toyota engine this noisy.
I agree, good to see some kind of resolution. Mine is 2017 also, it sounds a little "clanky" on cold starts, but nothing like the first video. Although after it warms up on the inside when stop at traffic lights, the car feels like it's off. Love the Lexus smoothness.
Old 05-25-21, 07:38 AM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Took my GS to stealership and they are now looking at it. Let's see where this goes...
Old 05-25-21, 10:22 AM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Yup. Vacuum Pump is the problem for my GS as well. $1645CAD. Ooooof