GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 09:46 AM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS 350 Strange engine noise

Just bought a used 2016 GS350 with about 54,000 miles on it. Car is beautiful and drives great. I have however noticed that on cold starts and shifting into reverse there is a strange noise coming from the engine. If I shift back to park it gets louder. I am concerned this may be causing premature wear on engine components and I would like to drive this car for a very long time. It goes in to the dealer on Tuesday and will sit overnight so they can hear it Wednesday morning. The link to the video is:

https://youtu.be/zTVHPGUIVxY

This is from a cold start. My wife shifts from park to reverse, then back to park. The sound can be heard very clearly at the 1:07 mark. I have not heard this sound or anyone describing it on any other posts. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ameschke; 05-07-21 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Title
Old 05-07-21, 10:37 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

The noise seems happen right before the AC? kicks in (or whatever kicks in at 1:04)... The other noises seem normal DI engine stuff...
Old 05-07-21, 10:42 AM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could be AC. I remember hearing this noise and felt the difference between AC being on and off. I'll also double check on my end.
Old 05-07-21, 10:43 AM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

The AC is completely off. The sound at 1:04 is the transmission being shifted from reverse back to park. Sometimes the engine starts making the sound while in reverse. That is how I noticed it in the first place. It just continues or gets louder as it is shifted back into park.
Old 05-07-21, 12:18 PM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Just drove back-- I can confirm my GS350 is also making that same noise after 1:04, however it does go away after cold start like what you said. hmmmm
Old 05-07-21, 02:24 PM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilentSC
Just drove back-- I can confirm my GS350 is also making that same noise after 1:04, however it does go away after cold start like what you said. hmmmm
I'll let you know what the dealer says next week. Other than that noise, the car is perfect. I just want it documented for warranty purposes. May I ask how many miles your GS has?
Old 05-07-21, 02:51 PM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Mine just got to 73000km (~45000 miles)
Old 05-07-21, 04:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Until a cold start engine completely reaches typical operating temperature the ECU makes numerous engine and transmission 'adjustments' (fuel/air mixture, cam timing, throttle response, transmission shifting, etc.) by different means - some of which make noises (e.g. solenoid valves, mechanical valves). This is particularly true for the first few minutes of operation unless the ambient temperature is extremely low, then it takes even longer for normal engine/transmission operation.

I do not recall ever hearing the sound that you are questioning, but it's likely one of the many solenoid valves operating that are triggered by either the engine startup, oil pressure/flow or shifting into gear. I doubt there is anything amiss...
Old 05-07-21, 05:01 PM
cabello
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ameschke
I'll let you know what the dealer says next week. Other than that noise, the car is perfect. I just want it documented for warranty purposes. May I ask how many miles your GS has?
keep us posted on what the dealer says please.
Old 05-08-21, 07:35 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Someone else post this issue as well. The "clank" like sound right?

I don't think we ever found out from the OP in the other post because it got out of hand and the mods locked the thread.
Old 05-08-21, 09:06 AM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

The issue is fairly consistent on a cold start so the dealer should be able to replicate the issue and hopefully diagnose the sound. I have multiple recordings of it as well so I will show those to them. It is quite loud and I can hear it in the cabin with the windows up.
Old 05-08-21, 10:13 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

It's loud even after 1 min, what's your ambient temperature at that time? May be need to check oil level, or change it.
Old 05-08-21, 10:23 AM
Ameschke
Driver School Candidate

Ambient temp was mid 80s. Oil level is right between the marks. Very clean oil, dealer changed it before selling it to me. Bought it from a Land Rover/Jaguar dealer right next to a Lexus dealer under the same auto group so I feel like they should know what they are doing. Should the oil be all the way to the upper mark?
Old 05-08-21, 11:11 AM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

I even tested this 1 day after engine oil service…
Old 05-08-21, 11:37 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ameschke
Ambient temp was mid 80s. Oil level is right between the marks. Very clean oil, dealer changed it before selling it to me. Bought it from a Land Rover/Jaguar dealer right next to a Lexus dealer under the same auto group so I feel like they should know what they are doing. Should the oil be all the way to the upper mark?
Sound like same the place here Sewell Dallas.

I am not sure the dealership fill up the oil up to between the mark is the right thing for them to do. Is that the oil level after the car has been sat for awhile or right after engine stop?
This is mine personal and I'm no technical knowledge about it, I would fill up the oil up a little and check the noise level again, and change the oil after that, because I don't like to mix oil from different brands or weight.

Edit: after a little more research, oil level between the mark is acceptable, but engine will noisier if oil a little low.

Last edited by Longevite1; 05-08-21 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Strange engine noise