GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noise from engine - like tractor. is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-21, 04:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Yep the Toyota Guys I talked to repaired a few and it was with the entire cam housing, cam followers included, and vacuum pump as they told it. I've also been saying it sounds like cam, and lifter noise all along. The Toyota guys who did the tear down and repair would know what they saw. If fact they mentioned its happing on the Camry 4cly Motor also.

If you google this on Toyota/Lexus Engines its wide spread. They are just not acknowledging it at the Dealership shops at this time. Everyone who runs into this should take the cars to a Lexus Dealership, and then call Lexus customer service and file a documented compliant. There is no way they are not aware of this problem. This is not normal. I've been told brand new Car 3.5 motors have the same problem.
Old 06-13-21, 05:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by adict2rice
got this write up from a Tacoma Forum. Yes, i have clean the MAS, and the throttle body. not helping with the noise. when i did the Seafoam, the "supercharger" noise tone down too! and it seems to get better gas mileage too! basically the it got so quiet that i was liking the car so much and thinking "this is how a Lexus should sound like"!!!!! now 200 miles after oild change the noise back to before. And no, this engine is not as reliable as they claim. when they only sell a mirely 3000 GSes per year! if only 1% of that has problem, you wont hear about it. compares to if they were sold 1 million/ anunally, then 1% problem would be a BIG problem and you will hear about it. so no, i dont think the statiscal data means anything for this GS (when the population is so low)

For those that said this motor does not have lifters! And also said the tapping noise is normal!! Yes this motor does have lifters and they are caller cam followers( small with rounded tops / lifters).
2- 2019 tacomas came into a LI , NY , toyota tech school while my friend which is a Boces teacher was their learning new systems.. on LI, they both had the same complaint( Loud Tapping noise on passenger side of motor). They took valve cover off and determined the middle cylinder on passenger side, while being milled at factory the cam follower sleeves were bored over specs! Causing the followers to slap side to side as they move up and down also creating more play between the the rockers and the cam! Leading them to believe there is probably over 100, 000 - 300,000 vehicles with the same issue that Toyota will not acknowledge. Strictly because of cost and would rather wait till there are breakdowns and deal with each one as it occurs! Mean while toyota came up with a TSP - R&R for the vacuum boost pump noise. To supposedly satisfy their customers that come to them with this complaint. (Loud tapping noise!) Which it actually does not make a tapping noise. And the only way to hear the vacuum boost pump is with an engine thesthiscope! The fuel injector cleaner has its own specific sound when at idle which comes on for few seconds and turns off! Common sense in this situation is as the revs go up and down so does the tapping noise and the higher the revs the louder the tapping!
The bad cam follower will cost 1000,s to repair on one vehicle compared to under 100.00 for the vacuum boost pump. Which they told me they replaced on mine and they didn't. I marked the one on my motor before I brought it in,, and the same one was still on my motor after I left dealer. After them telling me they replaced the vacuum bost pump verbally and on paper.This how dealerships operate!!! Also this is for the people that are not mechanics and are not familiar with motors and the sounds each and every part on a motor makes when working or not working properly. Also for those people that keep responding with thats normal (comment). Don't comment if you do not know what is really the problem, your just making a bad situation worse. End Note: I was certified mechanic back in 1980. And have worked on more cars than could never count. For me, this was and is driving me crazy knowing what the problem is and going back and forth to the dealer and being told by a person that had no mechanical past experience is very disturbing to say the least. I've had 2 toyota mechanics already walk up to my truck and react( oh **** that's bad. You need a new head!). And tell me toyota if they were to fix the problem they would just replace the head. Said to my self, they must know that the sleeves are out of spec? Instead of just taking cam off and replacing the follower? Which would not solve the problem. Only replacing the head with new one with updated sleeve borings will solve this problem. I've read so many posts about this, and some responds are just dumb. For those dumb stupid responses, I hope to he'll you don't ever work on mine or any one I knows vehicles. Lack of knowledge is a crime when it comes to vehicle repairs! If you don't know do your research and learn, before opening your mouth and don't know what your talking about!! Please! Better not to say anything if you don't know then to say something to mislead someone looking for advice and help! Goodluckbto all of you that have the same issue. Remember our tapping noise is not normal on a new gasoline engine!!! Don't forget that! These are not diesel motors!! The part shown is specific to the 2GR- FKS / 3.5 V6. This the part along with the valve train in line. That is rapping loud. If you replace this part it will not fix the loud tapping noise. A new head needs to be replaced with the right follower sleeve bored correctly. This no speculation, or an assumption. This was done and fixed the loud tapping nouse!! There is too many details to list in this a post! this was just to make toyota owners that have the 2GR-FKS in their tacoma aware that this problem has been diagnosed and repaired. That simple. The vacuum pump replacement will not stop the loud tapping noise in the production #"s that the heads were bored over specs! Take with a grain of salt, 2 that I know of have been repaired qnd mine is in process! For those that have not done this repair don't speculate until you have done this repair yourself! I feel bad the people that are so stubborn to ignore just common sense in this matter. Don't waste your time with your immature comments. I just delete them. In a few days my toyota won't be tapping loud as I drive it, and that is all that matters! Can't wait to put all the upgrades I have for my Tacoma!!!
Thanks for the info. I made this 2nd post because now something kinda came together about what the Techs said, So they went into those motors on a Vacuum pump diagnostic TBS. That's when they discover all the cam, cam train, and cam housing problems. I'm going to ask a little more when I see them again. I wonder when the updated Heads came out or if someone can verify the updated Heads?

Maybe now my excuse to get a set of Heads, have them ported with Valve work and cams. Anyone can google the 3.5 and other motor knock knock clank noise. I just anyway felt it was a internal engine problem slap. Anyone should know that just is not normal.
Old 06-13-21, 11:39 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Not exactly the same engine but I have a 2008 IS250 with a 4GR-FSE. The engine is DFI only. The engine started to have cam gear noises at around 65k during startup. It was very intermittent and I brought up to the dealer who was unable to duplicate. At roughly 75k miles and beyond warranty the cam gears always made a racket upon startup. While researching the fix, it appears there was also a TSB for the 3.5l cam gears. The 3.5l TSB was to replace the cam gear due to the bolts backing out while the 4GR TSB was just to continue monitoring the symptoms. Not sure if that is your problem. Failure on the 3.5l is catastrophic from what I understand. The noise on the 2.5l is due to oil leaking out of the cam gear and not much to worry about. For my engine, I found substituting a quart of MMO for a quart of oil every oil change did the trick. Anyway, I saw that you mentioned cam noises so I’m bringing it up if you are running out of ideas to look at. Oh, another place to look. On most modern intakes they are comprised of several plastic pieces glued together. Sometimes the glue fails and the baffles inside the intake vibrate. They will make a noise like bad valves. It makes a horrible racket and is dependent on RPM. I would check that as well. I had a Camry that sounded like the head was shot. I troubleshot it for months. I even had the fuel injectors cleaned and balanced. I replaced the intake manifold as a last ditch effort and that fixed the noise.
Old 07-21-21, 11:31 AM
wiltony
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just wanted to follow up on this, as I previously responded letting OP know this sounded like my car too (2016 GS350 F-sport). At a recent service appointment, I asked them to listen to it, and they determined that it was *not* normal and they ended up diagnosing and replacing the lash adjusters in the engine under warranty. That totally fixed the problem and the car purrs now.
The following 3 users liked this post by wiltony:
17luxlex (07-21-21), Im2bz2p345 (07-22-21), websurfer (07-21-21)
Old 07-21-21, 12:04 PM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Could need an oil change...
Old 08-12-21, 07:09 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wiltony
Just wanted to follow up on this, as I previously responded letting OP know this sounded like my car too (2016 GS350 F-sport). At a recent service appointment, I asked them to listen to it, and they determined that it was *not* normal and they ended up diagnosing and replacing the lash adjusters in the engine under warranty. That totally fixed the problem and the car purrs now.
thank you for the info. i took the car in for the 4th time and left at the dealership for a week. they still said they cant find anything. even test drove with the tech 2 times and the sound was there but he acting like he didnt hear it (possbily because it still under warranty so they dont want to touch it). whatever. i gave up
Old 08-12-21, 07:14 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by adict2rice
thank you for the info. i took the car in for the 4th time and left at the dealership for a week. they still said they cant find anything. even test drove with the tech 2 times and the sound was there but he acting like he didnt hear it (possbily because it still under warranty so they dont want to touch it). whatever. i gave up
Maybe try another dealer. Some dealer don't pay for the good mechanic so they don't want to work on it or don't know how to work on it.
Old 02-09-22, 06:11 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I have this tractor like issue as well. It now become louder/deeper over the months. 15 IS350 and when at idle whether in Park or Drive for about 15-20 seconds it almost appears as the typical ticking gets louder and deeper and then it goes away. When I open the hood I cant really hear as well as you can from the car.

When this louder ticking happens, I have tried tried to slowly rev it from idle up to 2k and what happens is the louder ticking will follow up just under 1k then goes away until it drops back down to idle. I originally thought it was something loose under car like shield but it seems that has been ruled out since I can get the noise to follow the engine speed to a certain point.

Maintenance wise- since i have owned the car at 30k - oil changes every 5k, Techron fuel cleaner once every 10k miles, never any CEL, water pump/belt done at 100k. I am currently sitting at 130k.

Lexus ruled they cant replicate the issue but it is documented. Car runs fine and pulls strong (I am tuned with full exhaust) just this weird tractor like ticking at idle really bothers my OCD haha. My extended warranty expires in 2k miles so I am trying to get this covered if they can pinpoint the issue.
Old 02-09-22, 11:47 AM
adict2rice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at 44k miles the noise was subtle, on and off. sometime you hear it, other time it quite down. but now at 54k miles, it becomes apparent, and constantly present accompany with light vibration too (at red lights).