GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noise from engine - like tractor. is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 07:27 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from engine - like tractor. is bad?

hi fellow Lexusan. i bought this 2015 F sport with 42k miles two months ago. This is my first Lexus and i was counting on the realiability that it's known for. But after driving the car and reading the forum i'm not so confident anymore since cars these days are fond to have minor/major break down no matter which brand you go with. That said, ever since i got this Lexus this engine noise accompany with a soft, constant vibration that you can feel sitting in the car putting your hand on the arm rest. The noise and vibration only show up when i put the car in D (under load) - as you can hear from 13 seconds in the video onward. The first 13 seconds the engine in Neutral (no load). the noise is really like a tractor engine. it's knocking with a deep humm and it's loud, you can hear sitting inside the cabin.
i checked service History on Lexus Drivers and it shows the car had oil change every 10k miles (which something i don't recommend) and no other remarks but regular wear and tear. Date-of-First-Use is August/2015. Clean Carfax history as well. So fellas, please help me identify this noise. Thank you in advance!

Old 05-09-21, 08:08 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a same noise on a driver side under a slight acceleration though, i can hear it from the cabin i feel like driving a tractor lol, it is started after it’s 100k miles, but my car is 07” IS 350, it’s basically same engine.
Old 05-09-21, 09:36 PM
SilentSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this what's called knocking noise?
Old 05-10-21, 03:36 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Use a scan tool to see if there are any stored DTCs.
Old 05-10-21, 07:06 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

A lot of the noise is dampen by the engine cover. I can hear the DI system in the background but a lot of engine noise sounds normal. What happened to the engine cover?

OCI is subjective as well but we won't go into that.
Old 05-10-21, 02:47 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Most of the sound sounds normal, most of the sound seems to be coming from the high pressure fuel pump. The metallic tapping noise from the driver side doesn't sound normal to me.
Old 05-10-21, 03:12 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

Originally Posted by MX73
A lot of the noise is dampen by the engine cover. I can hear the DI system in the background but a lot of engine noise sounds normal. What happened to the engine cover?

OCI is subjective as well but we won't go into that.
i took the cover off so i can locate that humming noise. i check the oil level and it's fine. no smoke coming out of the exhaust either. Im hoping it's not "rod knocking" but would a Scan tool give me the result if it was? if it was Rod knocking, do you think Lexus will cover under "powertrain" warranty, since i still have 3 months left till August. Thank you
Old 05-11-21, 06:36 AM
Thanny
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That sounds normal to me. As someone has mentioned, the diesel tractor noise is coming from the high pressure fuel pump (which is normal for this GS 3.5 engine).
Old 05-11-21, 07:31 AM
adict2rice
Rookie

Originally Posted by Thanny
That sounds normal to me. As someone has mentioned, the diesel tractor noise is coming from the high pressure fuel pump (which is normal for this GS 3.5 engine).
hi, thanks for the reply. what about the constant vibration when i put into D? it feels like a mass rotating but out of balance from the engine bay, transfer into the cabin. i can feel it at every stop light. and the car only has 43k miles. i dont think this is normal (for a Lexus at that).
Old 05-11-21, 07:50 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I would take it in and get a proper diagnosis.
The following users liked this post:
ECL (06-13-21)
Old 05-12-21, 09:26 AM
wiltony
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds just like my 2016 GS350.
Old 05-16-21, 09:18 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

Originally Posted by MX73
I would take it in and get a proper diagnosis.
took it to Lexus and left it over night for them to run diagnostic, found nothing and said "it's normal" - of course! they said hooked up to Techstream any everything but everything is normal. good thing they didn't charge me anything though. i might have to try another stealership and see what happens. i also notice when i turn on the AC, the vibration goes away and idle a little smoother. bad roller belt bearing?
Old 05-16-21, 11:25 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Doesn’t sound abnormal. But the vibration shouldn’t be felt inside the cabin.
Old 05-17-21, 03:20 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by adict2rice
took it to Lexus and left it over night for them to run diagnostic, found nothing and said "it's normal" - of course! they said hooked up to Techstream any everything but everything is normal. good thing they didn't charge me anything though. i might have to try another stealership and see what happens. i also notice when i turn on the AC, the vibration goes away and idle a little smoother. bad roller belt bearing?
How's the oil look like? Clean or dirty?

Found this, maybe it will help.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...-engine-noises

Last edited by websurfer; 05-17-21 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-29-21, 02:08 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

Originally Posted by websurfer
How's the oil look like? Clean or dirty?

Found this, maybe it will help.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...-engine-noises
Thanks for the info. So i added a whole bottle of Seafoam to the crankcase and it seems to quiet down alot! Now get me thinking its the lifters noise. How do you get Lexus to do something about this? How can a car with regular maintance at 45k miles already has lifters noise. So much for Lexus reliability

Quick Reply: Noise from engine - like tractor. is bad?