GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Comparing the GS to Genesis models

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-21 | 07:08 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Default Comparing the GS to Genesis models

So, at one point I seriously looked at the Stinger and we had a good con o here a out it.
I figured checking out the G70 made sense. The refreshed 22 model is... Seriously good looking. All the cons of the stinger gone, even a better dealership experience, though they are still just inside Hyundai.

But, the G70 is smaller than the stinger, so IS sized. Anyone directly compare them, or switch to Genesis? The 22 G70 blew my mind in every single way.

Then I drove a G80 because I needed to see the bigger model and WOW. Just wow. Of course, that is sitting at 68k loaded, and extreme focus on luxury. They didn't have a 3.5 turbo to test drive, but it was obvious sporty was not a consideration. Though, the 2.5turbo has same power as the GS. Anyone check out the G80?

Curious on any thoughts as to how these cars, and this brand, compare to our GS. I'm a tech guy and I was not prepared to love the Genesis models like I did. Also, they offered way more for my GS than I was expecting, almost what I paid for it 3 years ago, so I am very tempted.

Old 05-31-21 | 05:49 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Wrong forum to be asking about Genesis vs. Lexus, as people in here seem to think Lexus walks on water. Lexus Is reliable, there is no doubt. Are they leading edge given they gave up the GS model and the midsize RWD market to German manufacturers? I think nobody can say yes to that. Lexus Is the pursuit of perfection and IBM like, where Genesis is more like the Microsoft of the 80’s and 90’s. They throw products at the wall, knowing they are not perfect, but here and there they are dabbling in all the markets and are expanding their product choices. Next May be a truck since Hyundai is coming out with their Santa Cruz.
Old 05-31-21 | 10:43 AM
eddie420

You can look up a few threads that were created on this previously: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...rchid=24355704
Old 05-31-21 | 10:50 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by eddie420
You can look up a few threads that were created on this previously: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...rchid=24355704
Yea, none of those are very recent, or about the g70 or g80. Mostly talking about the Hyundai Genesis, which is where the brand started.

Sounds like the g70 is one of the best driving cars around, and the g80 is totally awesome luxury.

I mix of the 2 might be the perfect replacement for the GS.

Truthfully, I love the tech in the Genesis.
Old 05-31-21 | 02:44 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickMayer
So, at one point I seriously looked at the Stinger and we had a good con o here a out it.
I figured checking out the G70 made sense. The refreshed 22 model is... Seriously good looking. All the cons of the stinger gone, even a better dealership experience, though they are still just inside Hyundai.

But, the G70 is smaller than the stinger, so IS sized. Anyone directly compare them, or switch to Genesis? The 22 G70 blew my mind in every single way.

Then I drove a G80 because I needed to see the bigger model and WOW. Just wow. Of course, that is sitting at 68k loaded, and extreme focus on luxury. They didn't have a 3.5 turbo to test drive, but it was obvious sporty was not a consideration. Though, the 2.5turbo has same power as the GS. Anyone check out the G80?

Curious on any thoughts as to how these cars, and this brand, compare to our GS. I'm a tech guy and I was not prepared to love the Genesis models like I did. Also, they offered way more for my GS than I was expecting, almost what I paid for it 3 years ago, so I am very tempted.
I have driven all the cars you mentioned, If I had not already bought my 2015 GS-Fsport I would have bought a Stinger, I have driven a few !

Old 05-31-21 | 06:33 PM
Astrokat
Driver

What didn’t you like about the stinger?
Old 05-31-21 | 07:44 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

I came very close to buying a G70 instead of my GS350, but backseat legroom was on par with my Mustang. It did have lovely dynamics though.

I considered a G80, but they weigh about 400lbs more than the GS. While, yes, it also has a 70hp advantage on the GS, the weight is still reflected in the handling.

I was not thrilled with the dealership experience. I have been a regular customer of three different Lexus dealerships in my life, and each one offered the same level of service and luxury. The service writers and salespeople I have a relationship really believe in the brand ethos of customer service. The Hyundai/Genesis sales experience was much closer to buying my GTO from a Buick/GMC/Pontiac store in 2007. Genesis supposedly offers concierge service, but the service is run through Hyundai dealerships, some of which are, anecdotally, still running their businesses like they have the slim margins of 2003 Hyundai and do not want to send one of their staff to you with the loaner so you don't have to come in. My father-in-law needed his G80 serviced back in 2018; the dealer cancelled his concierge service 3 times before he gave up and brought the car in himself. If Genesis had dedicated dealerships and offered a comparable dealer experience, I might be driving a G70 3.3T AWD right now.
Old 06-01-21 | 07:14 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I have driven all the cars you mentioned, If I had not already bought my 2015 GS-Fsport I would have bought a Stinger, I have driven a few !
I really liked the Stinger, but ultimately dealership and overall material quality kept me from trading to it from my '15 GS.
Originally Posted by Astrokat
What didn’t you like about the stinger?
I personally liked it, but it didn't 'feel' 60HP faster, and overall felt much cheaper inside. That said, the G70 was definitely everything I wanted and more, minus the dealership experience.
Originally Posted by panyo64
I came very close to buying a G70 instead of my GS350, but backseat legroom was on par with my Mustang. It did have lovely dynamics though.

I considered a G80, but they weigh about 400lbs more than the GS. While, yes, it also has a 70hp advantage on the GS, the weight is still reflected in the handling.

I was not thrilled with the dealership experience. I have been a regular customer of three different Lexus dealerships in my life, and each one offered the same level of service and luxury. The service writers and salespeople I have a relationship really believe in the brand ethos of customer service. The Hyundai/Genesis sales experience was much closer to buying my GTO from a Buick/GMC/Pontiac store in 2007. Genesis supposedly offers concierge service, but the service is run through Hyundai dealerships, some of which are, anecdotally, still running their businesses like they have the slim margins of 2003 Hyundai and do not want to send one of their staff to you with the loaner so you don't have to come in. My father-in-law needed his G80 serviced back in 2018; the dealer cancelled his concierge service 3 times before he gave up and brought the car in himself. If Genesis had dedicated dealerships and offered a comparable dealer experience, I might be driving a G70 3.3T AWD right now.
All great points. The G70 is borderline too small, but I fit in it very well. The drive was amazing, it felt light years faster than my GS, and the Stinger. I drove the 2.5T G80, and that was fine, same power as my GS, so I'm still trying to find a 3.5TT to test drive. Thwe tech and luxury are out of this world, I just wish they had a sport version of the G80...

I think the dealership experience is slowly getting better, but they have a LONG way to go. It's a step up from Kia, which is one of the reasons I didn't get the Stinger couple years ago.
Old 06-01-21 | 08:02 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

We own a 2016 Kia Optima SX Turbo we got New in 2017. Very, very, nice car. I have driven the Stinger as it was loaned to us as a before buying test for 2 days. Also looked 2 Genesis and had some test time with them. Kia and Genesis is constantly coming to us to trade the 16 SXL we own. I frankly love the 16 SXL my wife has and it's a great car.

So here is the problem I have though. We have been to the shop with the 16 SXL way too much for stupid little things. Sometimes the same issue 2, 3. 4 times. Things like fit, finish, trim, LED tails lights failure, Turbo wastegate hose leaking Oil, and more. Not only that, they don't get it right in the shop when they have the chance multiple times, for no good reason. The other day my Wife when into a large Genesis dealer to get some simple maintenance done with a pre appointment and was told 45 - 1hr wait. Took 3.3 hours waiting, kept bs's about the time. What ticked me off was they could have not had Her wait, we could have just left it and came back to pick it up if they didn't bs's us. One visit they rotated and balanced the tires and sent her out with a mis-balance so bad the car was shaking and making a thumping noise. Go figure, a Dealership?

When the car was ready and during the wait, the Service people and Sales and even Sales Manager came to ask about needing our car to sell because they told them how new it looked still, and what a deal they would give us on a new one. I laughed and though they just don't get the Customer Service impact part yet. You just jerked us around on a 30 min service for 3 hours plus. This happens many times, and you come to me when I'm ticked to ask me about Buying your New Luxury car? No thanks.

Great car yes. Lexus Quality, quietness trim finish, and customer Service Not at all. I still Love our 2016 Kia Optima SXL 2.0 Turbo, plan to keep it a long time. A new Hyundai product anytime as our next choice? No not until they change a whole lot............maybe.

Last edited by jgscott; 06-01-21 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-01-21 | 11:21 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickMayer
I really liked the Stinger, but ultimately dealership and overall material quality kept me from trading to it from my '15 GS.

I personally liked it, but it didn't 'feel' 60HP faster, and overall felt much cheaper inside. That said, the G70 was definitely everything I wanted and more, minus the dealership experience.

All great points. The G70 is borderline too small, but I fit in it very well. The drive was amazing, it felt light years faster than my GS, and the Stinger. I drove the 2.5T G80, and that was fine, same power as my GS, so I'm still trying to find a 3.5TT to test drive. Thwe tech and luxury are out of this world, I just wish they had a sport version of the G80...

I think the dealership experience is slowly getting better, but they have a LONG way to go. It's a step up from Kia, which is one of the reasons I didn't get the Stinger couple years ago.
I have only bought 2 New vehicles in my life & I prefer to do all the maintenance on all my cars,so the dealership is not something I worry about.
Old 06-01-21 | 11:26 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I have only bought 2 New vehicles in my life & I prefer to do all the maintenance on all my cars,so the dealership is not something I worry about.
Again, I love our Kia, but if the car is still under Warranty, you will likely be dealing with the Dealership for no cost to you.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21 | 11:49 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Depending on the year and engine the Hyundai/Kia someone may be doing their own maintenance on, a lawyer may be their friend dealing with Hyundai.

https://www.hmaenginesettlement.com/

...is a site I direct the Hyundai owners that visit me on engine replacements not covered by their warranty... Last 2015 Hyundai engine I replaced had 80k miles. The engine cost $3k from a recycler and was on a waiting list....
Old 06-01-21 | 11:58 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Hyundai/Kia put a Lifetime replacement on the Theta Engines now. They send us a Lifetime engine warranty statement. Why I may never get rid of our Optima SLX.
swat1727 (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21 | 07:41 PM
Jordann
Rookie

I test drove a 2017 Genesis G80, and absolutely fell in love with it. It wasn't even optioned out all the way, and I was trying to get it, but it sold before I could get it. It felt like a dream to drive- to me, even better than my Gs lol, but the only flaws to it were the infotainment screen because of how much it reminded me of a Hyundai/Kia screen. Either option is amazing, but I felt more comfortable with Lexus reliability. I've heard that Genesis has amazing reliability, but I just knew Lexus was probably better in terms of reliability. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with buying a new car for a few years and testing the waters. Do what you want!
NickMayer (06-02-21)
Old 06-02-21 | 08:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

My neighbor has a 2019 G80, so the outgoing design. I like that design more than the new one. His car is really beautiful, and has some options that weren't available on the GS, like CarPlay and a panoramic sunroof. He let me take it out for a drive when he got it. A bit roomier than the GS, but about 600lbs heavier and you could really feel that. I wouldn't hesitate to own one, though.

I don't care for the styling of the new G70 or G80, personally. But I still think the Stinger is stunning and would buy one in a heartbeat. If I had to replace the GS now, I have no idea what I'd get.
NickMayer (06-02-21)

Quick Reply: Comparing the GS to Genesis models