GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

AVS / Standard Strut Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 03:06 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
It was a lease return, one owner, all serviced at the dealer. the only thing replace on the car before I owned that was not regular maintenance was related to PVC valve or something like that.
There might be some difference with the struts to compensate for the additional weight of the battery and the hybrid drivetrain. The car stock is about 4200 pounds. I have probably added about 100 pounds between sound deader and other mods.

No doubt in my mind the struts will last the life of the car, with zero issues so far. I drive the car in normal mode 98% of the time. I upsized my tires a couple months ago for more sidewall and slightly smoother ride.
My first car 1998 Honda Accord sold it with 232,505 miles had zero issues with suspension.

I think if you have 18" rims and non-fsport suspension you'll likely have no issues with the struts.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think driving style will have an effect on suspension. How much effect? I can't say but the harder you throw it into turns or in and out of driveways, parking lots etc the more forces you're subjecting all the suspension parts to, joints, bushing, shocks etc. I typically try to go gently through transitions like those partly because my springs are stiff enough that it's not comfortable to go faster and also so that I don't add premature wear.
Old 06-02-21, 03:43 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LexUhs65
You would be the perfect person to ask! is the eco/normal mode a lot more forgiving on lousy roads or not much different in your experience?
Eco setting is definitely softer. But it's actually less comfortable on rough roads. The firmer settings are better, even though you feel the thuds more it holds the car more still, less lateral movement.
Old 06-02-21, 04:22 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Does anyone know of AVS compatible front coilovers? Has anyone gone to coilovers on the front but left the rear seperate spring and shock?
RSR Basic-I has fixed AVS compatible dampers. RSR Best-I has adjustable AVS compatible shocks - you set the stiffness of your damper and then the AVS will make them even firmer in Sport+. I'd probably just go with the Basics.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 06-02-21 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-04-21, 02:34 AM
LexUhs65
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
I have a 2013 RWD w/lux package and Sport+ w/AVS and the answer is no.

If there is a difference between eco and normal it's hard to tell and if a cushy ride is the goal, then eco mode is not it. Roads here are not that bad but any rutts, small potholes, uneven manhole cover etc are annoyingly harsh. Don't get me wrong, it's better overall than many cars but I could stand for it to be slightly softer in softest mode. I'd say from eco to sport+ ranges from normal/harsh on bad roads to stiff, harsh and responsive in sport+ with minor increments in an increase in harshness going from eco, normal, sport and sport+. I recently went from 235/45R18 to 245/45R18 and there was a noticeable softening of the harsh bumps I mentioned earlier. There was a bigger improvement going to these tires than between eco and normal. New tires of the same size would probably have given me a similar nicer ride due to the new softer tread so it's hard to say which mattered more.

Even though I'd like a softer ride when just cruising, there is a noticeable improvement to handling in sport+ which is nice but most of my time is spent cruising and not trying to race.

As for the adaptive shocks, mine seem to be performing fine, however like I said, there is no dramatic diffference in dampening among the modes unless you're comparing sport modes to eco. I have noticed a slight oil film developing on the rear shocks so it looks like they're weeping oil at a small rate. I've wiped them down a few times when I've had the wheels off and it seems to come back so I might be in for replaceing them in the future. I've got 90k miles right now.

I've priced out the shocks and K&N ( the OEM are K&N) go for about $90 each. Lexus dealer wants double that and about $1500.00 total to change two of them. I think the rears can be done pretty easily as the springs are seperate. The fronts are doable too but they're struts so you have to get the spring off the shock.

Does anyone know of AVS compatible front coilovers? Has anyone gone to coilovers on the front but left the rear seperate spring and shock?
Thanks so much!! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out!
Old 06-04-21, 06:57 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

The GS450h has different struts and rubber dampers than the regular GS for the extra weight. They seem to be more durable.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (06-04-21)